1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you have weird issues in games/ graphical assets not loading/settings not saving..possible fix.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by oscare30, Jun 21, 2018.

1. oscare30

oscare30 Member

GPU:
    GTX 570
    Wasn't sure If this should be posted under the gaming section or O.S section since it relates to both so
    here goes...

Recently I had some issues specifically in Final Fantasy 7 (the digital download version AND the STEAM version)

First off, It would never save any of my resolution/graphic settings Secondly, When booting into the game and after the SquareSoft fades away Logo all I would get was a black background and music...I eventually , and "blindly" was able to start the game but the entire background was gone and only the character models were present....

After MANY MANY frustrating searches I found that the problem was with
    a windows 10 update in which they added a new feature called Controlled Folder Access to prevent ransom ware from locking all your main folders for documents, music, etc
    I turned this off and FF7 loaded everything correctly.

If you don't feel safe turning this off you can always add whatever executable/program to the allowed list

The option can be easily found by typing Controlled Folder Access in the Cortana search box

I hope this helps anybody with these weird issues...I was prepared to format my Win10 installation but with some digging I won't need to and hopefully you won't have to either!

mbk1969 and fantaskarsef like this.
  2. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    RX64 Red Devil
    This sounds helpful. Why don't you post it in here?: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/windows-10-tips-and-tweaks.401262

Because I think that is more generally Windows 10 related, it's about Controlled Folder Access. This one thing could block "all your programs", not only FF7. Therefore my advice.

But nice find! :)
    ( I didn't know they added this, tbh.)

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    I wonder if the exclude list will be left alone when the OS re-installs itself during a major update.
    Something to watch for.

4. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE NITRO 390x
    their was a also a bug with defender that effects chrome and firefox. that causes high cpu usage in firefox and chrome..

which when I had defender enabled and using firefox..,

my cpu for firefox when idle was at 20% usage and high harddisk usage.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018