1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If You Can Solve This U R KING

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ronferri, Nov 18, 2017.

1. ronferri

ronferri Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1070M/8GB
    UPDATE: Running BF3 at 4k resolution on TV achieved 3 things:

1. Brought GPU load up to 100%
    2. Stabilized GPU clock - much less erratic than running at lower resolutions
    3. Stabilized framerates - but still lower than benchmarks

Why cant I achieve the same stability and GPU load in 1080p? Since framerates are low in 1080p anyway, so If the GPU can work harder, why is it not?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  2. ronferri

ronferri Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1070M/8GB
    Another owner of my laptop, kindly volunteered his Cinebench R15 scores and Intel XTU readings. At stock settings his unit is similar to most other units out there, and scores much higher than my unit. Here's how we compare to one another:

MSI GT62VR (1) - MacMyc's Unit Cinebench R15 Scores: (He has GTX1060 instead of GTX1070)

[​IMG]

MSI GT62VR (2) - My Underperforming Unit Cinebench R15 Scores:

[​IMG]

MSI GT62VR (1) - MacMyc's Unit XTU Readings

[​IMG]

MSI GT62VR (2) -My Underperforming Unit XTU Readings

[​IMG]

Help.

3. Mda400

Mda400 Master Guru

GPU:
    1660 - 2130/10ghz
    If the laptop has optimus technology, forced 1070 to be the primary gpu in applications over onboard? Changed power management in nvcp for 1070 to anything but Optimal Power?

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Problem with notebooks - they have one blower to dissipate heat from both CPU and GPU.
    May be your one has some defect in BIOS (V-BIOS maybe) which prevents CPU and GPU from maintaining the load due to false calculation of power limits.

PS Also your notebook has 230W power supply (according to specs). It can be a limit instead of temperature.

5. ronferri

ronferri Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1070M/8GB
    Thanks mbk1969, how do I test if this is actually the case and how can it be solved? My vbios is updated to latest version from MSI product Page.

6. basco

basco Member Guru

GPU:
    560tfII
    are you both using same version of xtu and what voltage is your cpu running?
    and maybe the turbo boost power time window is to small.
    and if you have the same nb as macmyc´s why are there other readings like core tdp+++

and if ya have 86° on gpu during games you are for sure throttling but that would be normal and my desktop gpu does the same

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    You flashed V-BIOS into notebook videocard? You are brave person.
    If there is Pascal BIOS editor you can load V-BIOS there and look carefully to all variables/constants it offers to change. May be you will notice some limited values. Have you saved the original V-BIOS into file before flashing new one? Check that too to compare values.

Tricky part of flashing the BIOS is you never know whether whole image was renewed or some regions stayed untouched. Also it may be that the limiting logic is placed in hardware completely (without vars in firmware).

And I see you ignored my sentence about power supply (adapter). Say, do you believe in miracles? What would you say to a guy who owns a big tower rig with GTX1070 and i7-6700 and only 250W PSU? Obviously such PSU is considered as not sufficient for heavy load with such beasts on board. (NVIDIA states 500W PSU is recommended for desktop GTX1070 with 150W.) According to specs mobile GTX1070 and i7-6700HQ have (132+45)W. It is clear that mobility versions of CPU and GPU should suffer from trade-offs.

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Btw, since you are on Windows10 and on SkyLake CPU you can check whether new mode of P-states are used - so called Autonomous mode
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/s...er-settings-in-win10-for-skylake-cpus.409110/

You can use this utility to check (and to set)
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/windows-power-plan-settings-explorer-utility.416058/

PS Btw, as I take it no one mentioned one setting in NVIDIA Control Panel - Power Management Mode. I saw several cases where switching from default "Optimal power" to "Adaptive" or "Prefer maximum performance" solved poor GPU usage.
    Usually you set "Adaptive" in global profile, and then "Prefer maximum performance" in individual game profiles.

tunejunky and ronferri like this.
  9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I had issues like this for a good few weeks, would happen completely at random. I changed my ram timing from 1T to 2T and i bumped up the voltage a little on the cpu and all is ok and has been for a good while.

10. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    A novel idea, but try blowing out your vents, and if you can get to the fans, blow them out as well. Over time, they will get full of fuzz, and need cleaning, and can cause throttling. Also trying to bump up the voltages on the GPU / CPU isn't a bad idea either.

11. ronferri

ronferri Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1070M/8GB
    *UPDATE*

These 2 fresh videos should clear things up and help in the analysis. Lowering video settings to the lowest preset as well as the resolution to the lowest had absolutely no effect on framerates in battlefield 3.

Lowest Settings and very low resolution: (130-135fps, GPU usage 15%, CPU cores usage up to 64%)

Ultra Settings at FullHD 1080p resolution: (130-135fps, GPU usage 50%-60%, CPU cores usage up to 77%)

What does that tell you?

On the other hand, The Witcher 3 behaves differently and is much more stable than previous games and on par with other bencmarks. At ultra settings 1920x1080p and hairworks OFF, here are the results:

- GPU Clock relatively stable
    - GPU load stable at 99%
    - Framerates not fluctuating erratically. Stable between 70-80fps inside first room, drops to 60s outdoors.
    - GPU temp stable at 87C first 30mins. Still High. Fans RPM is maxed (Cooler Boost ON). Below video is taken in first 5 minutes so temp went up to 87C afterwards.

How do you explain all this?

12. ronferri

ronferri Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1070M/8GB
    Here are some insightful graphs while benchmarking on Heaven. GPU usage is 99% during Heaven benchmark with few random dips. I got a score of 84.5fps on my GTX1070 notebook, is this healthy? Do you see a problem with CPU or GPU from below graphs?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. ronferri

ronferri Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1070M/8GB
    I would really appreciate it if GTX1070 notebook users can confirm that my reported Heaven score is normal or not, so I can filter out the GPU as the problem. Many thanks.

14. ronferri

ronferri Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1070M/8GB
    This is the ultimate post.

After sharing all GPU and CPU readings while running Heaven benchmark (GPU usage 99%, score: 84.5fps), I will now share the same readings for the problematic game of Battlefield 3, at ultra settings 1080p, and at lowest settings 720p. Reminder: Framerates in BF3 surprisingly remain the same in both low and ultra settings, so let us analyze together what is happening at the CPU and GPU level.

Battlefield 3 Ultra Settings 1920x1080

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Battlefield 3 Lowest Settings 1078x720

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix GTX 970 4GB
    Do you use an external monitor or the built in laptop monitor?

16. tunejunky

tunejunky Master Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII gtx1080ti
    holy cow!
    wtf is going on...my laptop just a bit newer than yours (i-7 7700 x gtx 1070) so i'm going to go lose a couple hours w/BF3 to see if i get same issue...

17. tunejunky

tunejunky Master Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII gtx1080ti
    it may take me a bit, but i'll try

18. tunejunky

tunejunky Master Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII gtx1080ti
    idk wtf is going on with free Heaven...not getting screen caps thru software, had a problem with f12...and prt scr caused a reboot...BUT at ultra settings w/ 4x antialiasing, 1920 x 1080p

i ran basic heaven 3x for 5 minutes
    on a MSI GE62 MVR 7RG (i-7 7700, gtx 1070, 1080p @ 144hz screen)

i averaged 108 fps with a minimum of 58 and a high of 135. temps on 1st run was 62c final run 72c. ambient 20c

19. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    PowerSpec 1710 (i7700HQ + GTX1070)

FPS: 88.2
    Score 2222
    Min FPS: 25.2
    Max FPS: 181.4

Same settings. 1080p 8x AA Extreme Tessellation

Seems similar to yours.

ronferri likes this.
  20. ronferri

ronferri Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1070M/8GB
    Thank you tunejunky, plz make sure you have same exact settings in the Heaven launcher as in the screenshot above: Tesselation Extreme, Full screen, AA 8x, Ultra quality. By default it runs in windowed mode. I dont think ur score reflects those settings. Also what do u mean you ran it for 5mins? you should click on benchmark button top left corner and wait for it to finish.

Also, bf3 graphs just like mine above would be really really really appreciated.