If You Can Solve This U R KING

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ronferri, Nov 18, 2017.

1. ronferri

ronferri Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1070M/8GB
    why wouldn't it make sense. Please check the cinebench test results posted as a screenshot earlier in the thread. Single core result is fine but the multi core result is below all other tests ive seen for this machine and the comparable cpu and memory combination.

I was just waiting on someone to point it out as an issue and elaborate on it. What do you gentlemen think?

2. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm not seeing what you're seeing?

I'm not that familiar with cinebench, so i could be reading it wrong, but your information says

CPU 655 (i assume this is multcore?)
    CPU (Single core) 147
    MP Ratio 4.47x (i assume this is the ratio compared to single and multicore, which considering your processor is a 4-core 8 thread processor, 4.47 is good)

And i see other peoples CPU scores with that exact CPU with similar ratings:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So am i misreading the information here, or is your processor actually exactly where it should be?

ronferri likes this.
  3. ronferri

ronferri Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1070M/8GB
    Fair enough. Below are benchmarks performed on the same model as my laptop, and both got higher scores than mine. You got lower scores than mine, and I am happy to dismiss CPU bottleneck as the root cause of the main problem. Thanks for sharing. But this leaves me really lost as to what has caused the overall performance drop in games and the artificial upper framerate cap that I am now experiencing.

Notebookcheck.net review on MSI GT62VR (My Laptop)
    Cinebecnh R15-CPU Multicore: 673 points
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-G...Notebook-Review.171215.0.html#toc-performance

Techradar.com review on MSI GT62VR (My Laptop)
    Cinebecnh R15-CPU Multicore: 678 points
    OpenGL: 110fps
    http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc...oks/msi-gt62vr-dominator-pro-1329537/review/2

My Scores:
    Cinebecnh R15-CPU Multicore: 655 points
    OpenGL: 89fps

I still have to work on the suggestions by fellow forum members from the previous page...or just return this thing to store.

4. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    ronferri
    Stock windows 10 is bloated, you need to clean it up. That affects your scores.

5. ronferri

ronferri Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1070M/8GB
    already cleaned up from all metro store apps and tweaked the way you like. If that was my problem then you would see countless users complaining about issues similar to mine. But no one has an issue like me yet.

All the simple and straight forward software tweaks and troubleshooting steps which you can think of, I already covered them I promise you. The above comment is way too simplistic for this thread and after my detailed explanation in the first post I honestly expect more in-depth responses than the post above this one. Just trying to save us time.

6. elaganza

elaganza Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire r9 380
    As far as i know in turbo mode part of cores switch off and part(!) works at max clocks.So are you sure that you checked your fps in turbo mode before?try to disable turbo mode in bios and check fps.

7. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    Turbo mode does that not depend on the XMP profile and enhanced all cores ?

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    XMP profile is a memory thing.

9. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    I know but if you enable the XMP profile asus bios ask for enhance all cores :p

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Like I said ITA will fix that 64fps cap in Ryse Son of Rome.. gl.

ronferri likes this.

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I have ASUS BIOS and no such thing. But guy has MSI laptop, so (1) no ASUS, and (2) no XMP profiles, and (3) laptop BIOS usually is very stripped of overclock and such settings.

12. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    My bad then

13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I was too lazy to check, but it happens that there are SO-DIMM with XMP. When I had a laptop there were no ones. But nevertheless I see no connection between memory mode and CPU cores mode. Just because memory controller is not part of CPU core.

14. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    Me neither it's just when with the latest Asus mobo's if you enable XMP you can choose to enhance the core's or leave it at stock intel. It's just an feauture if you go to the CPU cofig in the bios you can set it there also.

15. CrunchyBiscuit

CrunchyBiscuit Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti
    Did your BIOS settings change?

A 64 fps cap can occur with a low windows timer resolution (also happens in many other games, like WC3 and CS), although that doesn't explain why it worked fine before.

You could try running srcfpsboost.exe (an old CS trick, https://www.mail-archive.com/hlds@list.valvesoftware.com/msg16578.html ) or a another timer resolution tool in the background. Running some browsers or recording software in the background could also enable the higher precision timer. Did you run something like this before, but disable it? Maybe previous drivers or a change in shadowplay or something?

You might wanna try enabling/disabling the HPET timer.

More (hopefully) related threads:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/108800/discussions/0/350544272217582997/

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=175085

https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/41sjz1/timer_resolution_fixed_fps_drops/

http://vanillagaming.org/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=16814.0

... And many more when you look for "64 fps" and "timer resolution".

ronferri likes this.

16. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @ronferri
    unless i misread some of the info of what was recommended and done, its not win/driver or game related.

unless you try out another power adapter, we cant exclude that, and further troubleshooting might me mute.
    the fact that your lappy doesnt run properly, and it wasnt swapped to prove otherwise, means there is a chance its broken.

and no, that doesnt mean you need to buy one.
    go to a local best buy/microcenter etc and see if they have a similar laptop using same brick to power it.
    check if they allow you to run it off that for a test....

ronferri likes this.
  17. ronferri

ronferri Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1070M/8GB
    Thanks @CrunchyBiscuit, your diagnosis is close to reality. I did witness a rise in framerates when I ran youtube in the background while playing games. I was not sure if the OSD was dispalying the combined total fps out of the GPU (Youtube+Game), or just out of the game. And no, my BIOS does not have HPET setting so not sure what to do and what caused this in the first place. I did reset BIOS to default settings but didnt solve anything.

Thanks Fry178, I will try testing a new power adapter tomorrow at the computer shop.

Thanks -Tj- , I havent forgotten about your ITA suggestion but keeping it till the end since the low performance issue is not restricted to Ryse Son of Rome.

-Tj- likes this.
  18. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Did you just reset bios, or did you load the optimized settings as well?

19. ronferri

ronferri Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1070M/8GB
    Specs: MSI GT62VR, i7-6700HQ, GTX1070, nv 385.69, Windows 10

Dear Friends,

I spent some time to narrow down the root causes of my underperforming MSI GT62VR problem. You are my only hope in fixing this. Here are my 3 observations:

1. Constant fluctuations in GPU clock while gaming, even when staring at a wall

2. GPU load constantly fluctuates between 60% and 90% and never reaches and stabilizes at 99% during graphically intensive gameplay like other owners of my laptop

3. Underperforming CPU: i7 6700HQ was benchmarked 106 times by notebookcheck.net and it scored an average of 672 on Cinebench R15. The same laptop as mine scored 678 on Techradar. My CPU scores 644-655 after a cold boot in a bloat-free environment. Similarly, below average CPU scores are observed in 3DMark

Owners of MSI GT62VR, or i7-6700HQ, or GTX1070, may I know if you experience constant fluctuations in GPU clock speed while gaming? And is your GPU load stable at 99% when running graphically intensive games at high performance power plan?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Observations 1& 2: GPU Clock & Load Fluctuations

My gtx1070 keeps fluctuating anywhere between 1640Mhz and 1840Mhz every 2 seconds even when not changing scenes or no action is happening. Framerates keep fluctuating a lot as well.

Other users reported steady 99% usage and steady 1840Mhz or 1911Mhz clockspeed while gaming.

Do your games behave the same?

Example: battlefield 3 while staring at wall

Observation 3: Underperforming CPU

Also my CPU is underperforming. My cinebench R15 multicore CPU score is 644, lower than average which is 671 as benchmarked 106 different times by notebookcheck.net. Techradar benchmark of this unit scored 678.

[​IMG]

Gaming performance:

My framerates are low compared to all other owners, but still smooth. Example: in Metro map of Battlefield 3, MSI GT62VR owners get 130-150fps where i get 80-112fps as u can see in this video. Can u kindly confirm your framerates if you have my specs?

Troubleshooting Covered so Far:

All software troubleshooting has been covered and it fixed nothing, example: multiple nvidia drivers where installed using DDU, High performance power plans are set, Vsync Gysnc disabled, xbox dvr disabled, clean windows install...

I also tried a new 230W power adapter and no improvement was observed.

Please help me understand what is going on. I believe I need to have my motherboard and/or CPU and/or GPU replaced but I am having difficulty convincing MSI RMA of this problem. They see it as a non-issue.

20. ronferri

ronferri Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1070M/8GB
    UPDATE: Running BF3 at 4k resolution on TV achieved 3 things:

1. Brought GPU load up to 100%
    2. Stabilized GPU clock - much less erratic than running at lower resolutions
    3. Stabilized framerates - but still lower than benchmarks

Why cant I achieve the same stability and GPU load in 1080p? Since framerates are low in 1080p anyway, so If the GPU can work harder, why is it not?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017