If You Can Solve This U R KING

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ronferri, Nov 18, 2017.

1. ronferri

ronferri Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1070M/8GB
    MSI GT62VR, GTX1070, i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM laptop, Win10 Pro

All fellow members, you are my last and only hope.

How do you guys explain it when the CPU and GPU clockspeeds reach their expected turbo max under load with no throttling, and temps are low, yet you get 30%-40% fps lower than you used to in all games? Before you think of Gsync, Vsync, drivers, power plans, etc...please continue reading. There seems to be a drop in performance and an artificial cap on framerates in my games now; a cap that was never there. BF3 does not go above 100fps on max settings now dipping to 70, used to be a steady 150fps. Same for other games but at different caps. Benchmarks & stress tests run fine with no crashing but they give low-end results relative to all reviews I found of this laptop. Benchmark scores and in-game video with statistics are posted below.

Things I tried to no avail:
    1. Clean Install of windows 10 did not change anything
    2. Trying various Nvidia drivers with DDU did not change anything
    3. Flashing the BIOS with latest build from MSI website did not change anything
    4. GPU/CPU Temps are at 30C-35C when booting the game (very cold in here), and I activate Cooler Boost to keep them under 85C but I still dont reach the original max and steady framerates like I used to
    5. Gsync and Vsync are globally off, in each program settings, and in all game settings
    6. Power plan is set to high Performance in windows cp and nvidia cp
    7. Game mode and Game DVR disabled in Windows Settings (no longer customizable after fall update)

Peculiar Observations:
    The on-screen display occasionally shows the "Power Limit" flag while gaming. I assumed this is common in gaming laptops or is it not?

Question Marks For Further Investigation:
    Could it be a malfunction in the power adapter? The circuitry in the motherboard? The Intel chipset driver version 10.1.1.42? Can I reset the circuitry without opening the case? I am planning to try a new power adapter yet it costs more than $200 so i got a multimeter to measure mine for any discrepancies. How would you further investigate this?

Thank you so much for your patience and contribution.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    Rakanoth likes this.
  2. riot83

riot83 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    What is your GPU load in BF3? What Mhz does the card run?(can you post a pic of your OSD while gaming?)

Have you set a higher resolution scale in the BF3 settings?

Power limit shows up in most of the nvidia cards when the card gets pushed to the power draw limit.

Test 3Dmark FireStrike or TimeSpy. Ice Storm is useless.

Do you have a Framelimit in MSI Afterburner(actually in RTSS, rivatunerstatisticsserver)?

Rakanoth and ronferri like this.
  3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Not really a solution: do not game on laptop, get normal computer.

4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Doubtful this is the issue, because when i was having this issue, it was a lot more of a performance drop (i had like 10% of the performance i should have)

[​IMG]

ronferri likes this.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    ronferri likes this.
  6. ronferri

ronferri Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1070M/8GB
    Thanks Riot83. Below is a video recording of OSD in game plus links to 3DMark Scores. Framelimit in RSST is set to 0 and GPU load in all games is 50%-75% while clock reaches 1900Mhz, avg 1700Mhz.
    Thanks Kastriot. I am planning to try a new power adapter yet it costs more than $200 so i got multimeter to measure mine for discrepancies.
    Thanks Aura89 but i already tried that and it did not change anything.
    Thanks mbk1969, as per original post i do not have overheating issues as far as i can see and MSI installed new heatpipes and fan for me.

If anyone know how to reset the motherboard circuitry without opening the case please let me know.

Ryse Son of Rome: Notice the fps cap limit @64fps. When I move around it dips to 30fps even 10fps minimum. In BF3 it dropped from steady 150fps to a max of 100fps, dipping to 80fps.

>>>Firestrike Score:
    https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/23367665

>>>3DMark 11 Score:
    https://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/12497875

>>>3DMark Vantage Score:

https://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/5656634

>>>Sky Diver Score:
    https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/23370370

>>>Cloud Gate Score:
    https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/23368616

Cinebench R15 Scores:
    [​IMG]

7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    You can’t reset cmos without opening it up unless bios has an option to do so

ronferri likes this.
  8. riot83

riot83 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    Do you have any of the Windows Game options turned on? Like Game DVR, Game Bar etc?

I don't know, I'm just reaching atm.

Seems weird.

What is your Power Limit(%) set at in MSI Afterburner?

ronferri likes this.
  9. ronferri

ronferri Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1070M/8GB
    I disabled Game Bar and DVR from Windows settings, did not do any registry tweaks or powershell tweaks to remove them.

It is weird and driving me nuts. I just hope it is not faulty circuitry because according to MSI this doesnt look like a problem because Stress Tests are ""okay"".

Core voltage and Power limit bars in MSI Afterburner are set to 0 (lever is at far left). I never touched those. Should the core voltage be any different?

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    maybe install latest intel MEI driver and ITA 1.9? ITA will fix ryse son of rome fps drops. This started since win10..

ITA
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25435
    just main, you can disable NIC part later(uninstall it in adapter), also disable net access for its loader..

IMEI
    http://www.station-drivers.com/inde...tory&Itemid=352&func=fileinfo&id=3195&lang=en

INF
    http://www.station-drivers.com/inde...ory&Itemid=352&func=startdown&id=3185&lang=en

PS why enable cooler boost?? That will throttle no matter what..

ronferri likes this.

11. riot83

riot83 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    Is the Power Limit(%) at 0 or at 100? (100 is the default, don't think you can even go to 0, 50 is min on mine)

Is cooler boost same as radeon chill thing? if so, that could be your cause, it limits your fps in "low action" scenes to save energy.

12. ronferri

ronferri Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1070M/8GB
    Cooler Boost is just the max fan rpm setting on MSI laptops. Has nothing to do with with clockspeeds.

Anyway I wont give MSI AB much attention here because I am having this problem even with AB uninstalled, right after a clean windows installation. Here is my untouched, default MSI burner limit settings:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  13. C0D3M4N

C0D3M4N Member

GPU:
    Asus 1080Ti
    Turn up your power limit and max temp sliders to max. Then apply and try.

ronferri likes this.
  14. riot83

riot83 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    Is it possible that it's not running in pcie 16x mode but instead it's stuck in 4x for some reason?

ronferri likes this.
  15. ronferri

ronferri Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1070M/8GB
    Thanks C0D3M4N. EDIT: MSI AB won't allow me to change the power limit and temp limit sliders, they are greyed out.

Thanks again riot83, this is my GPU-Z stats, it shows PCIex16 v3.0 @3.0 when running the included render test in gpu-z.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017

16. C0D3M4N

C0D3M4N Member

GPU:
    Asus 1080Ti
    If it is power limit related, gather the following info and see what happens.

1st: Run CMD as an Administrator
    2nd: Navigate to c:\program files\nvidia corporation\nvsmi folder
    3rd: To see currently set Power Limit type: nvidia-smi -i 0 --format=csv --query-gpu=power.limit
    4th: Type this command for real time power limit monitoring: nvidia-smi -i 0 --loop-ms=1000 --format=csv,noheader --query-gpu=power.draw
    (pressing ctrl+c stops the monitoring)
    5th: Run a game and get in a situation where the card power limit is impacting performance. Immediately alt+tab back to desktop and press ctrl+c on your monitoring, then note what the max power used was.
    6th: Attempt manually assigning a higher power limit power limit via: nvidia-smi -i 0 -pl 300 (300 is where you enter the new power limit, adjust as needed to test.)

I feel pretty sure it is power limit related, you may want to ensure power management is set to max performance, both in the OS and in the NV control panel.

ronferri likes this.
  17. ronferri

ronferri Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1070M/8GB
    UPDATE: -Added 3Dmark Vantage and 3DMark 11 scores in my scores post above.

Thanks DW75, I already have the latest BIOS for my unit as released by MSI. I will update to Intel Chipset v10.1.1.45 as -Tj- suggested above and will report back to you guys, but I will keep that till the end if you don't mind.

Thanks for not giving up on me C0D3M4N, when I type in the command from step 3, I get an error: power.limit [W] [Not Supported]. Tips?

18. C0D3M4N

C0D3M4N Member

GPU:
    Asus 1080Ti
    If you open GPU-z or enable power limit in Afterburner OSD and monitor power limit, does the dismal performance coincide with the power limit occurring?
    If it does, I would say you could say with certainty that your GPU is power limited. Curiously though, why would this suddenly occur if it worked fine in the past.
    Is there a BIOS setting in the Laptop geared towards GPU power/performance increase?
    Last thing, if it did work previously, perhaps rolling back to the same driver removes the limitation somehow?

error: power.limit [W] [Not Supported] just means the GPU was unable to report back Power Limit, for whatever reason.

In Nvidia Control Panel see if you have Power Profile set to Performance.

In afterburner, are you able to enable these settings and restart afterburner to see the power limit slider?
    [​IMG]

19. ronferri

ronferri Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1070M/8GB
    Thanks again C0DM4N, as you can see in my youtube video above, the poor performance is happening all the time right from the start where the FPS is capped at 64fps, used to be 100fps. The Power Limit flag only shows occasionally, for a split second as you can see after I started moving the mouse around. I do not see a direct relation between the occasional Power Limit flag and the consistent poor performance.

Power plan is set to maximum performance in both Nvidia cp and windows cp, as stated in my original post.

MSI Afterburner does not allow me to change the power limit and temp limit, even after I unlock voltage control & monitoring options (and restart) in settings.

Again I already tried a clean install of windows and a clean install of multiple nvidia drivers using DDU but none are solving this issue.

I still appreciate any feedback I can get, but I am now narrowing it down to 2 possibilities in addition to updating the chipset drivers:

1. An Underperforming Power Adapter,(but still I dont get the power limit flag consistently while gaming)
    2. An Underperforming CPU creating a bottleneck (although other owners of this laptop dont have this problem, I did not have this problem few weeks ago, so why now?)

Thoughts?

20. Rakanoth

Rakanoth Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    To test your CPU performance individually, you can use Cinebench. Run Cinebench and compare your results to the other results with the same CPU and RAM combo. Does this make sense to you?