if everything seems to work anyway, how long do you keep your PSU

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by W@w@Y, Aug 6, 2020.

1. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080ti
    As in the title, Ive had this PSU since 2015 (Seasonic X750)
    Its probably the longest Ive kept a PSU and its working alright, no issues whatsoever that I am aware of

is 5 years "old" for a PSU of this quality? Im just worried it would fail without warning and take things with it.

How long do you usually keep a PSU? Without any issues, do you replace it after X amount of time just to be safe?

K.S. likes this.
  2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    I keep mine until they exhibit a problem or I need higher Watts.

My PC is in the living room along with my hifi.
    I recently upgraded my 8 year old Corsair AX750 (Seasonic based) because it was producing a LOT of noise on the mains, when the PC was busy, that interfered with my AVR while watching TV and when feeding PC audio through it.
    It got louder and louder the older the PSU got.
    My new Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium is so much quieter. Still a little noise but once the volume is at acceptable level its not a problem.
    Fortunately when using my external DAC for music it has a dead silent background so I'm happy now.

There has been a ground loop issue ever since I bought my latest AVR because it doesnt have a ground connection.
    I used a simple solution, plug the PC into a wound up 50m mains extension, this removed almost every squeak and shrill noise the AX750 gave out.
    With the Seasonic PSU I dont need the mains extension so its ugly ass is out of the way.
    I could ground the AVRs metal case, this might cure the problem entirely. Or it might need connecting directly to my PCs PSU case. But theres no need for now.

I still use the Corsair AX750 on an AMD 3600 rig, its still got a lot of legs when kept away from my hifi!

Previous PSUs either went bang, or the 12V rail started to drop voltage under heavy load, Enermax PSUs were bad at the latter after a few years, many many moons back.

Your Seasonic PSU should last well beyond its warranty.
    Decent quality PSUs dont go bang, not that I've heard of in the last 10 years+.
    The only PSUs I saw go bang were cheap.

ps I believe my AX750 is based on the same seasonic X750 you have.
    As stated above it has lasted well over 8 years and that was 24/7 use.
    Its a very solid PSU.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    K.S. likes this.
  3. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SOLD!
    Checking. Initial instinct is no based on experience.

EDIT:
    Pulled from "https://seasonic.com/support"
    Warranty Period - Discontinued Products
    X Series - 7 years (5 years if purchased before September 1, 2012)

So, logic stands to reason based off of what the manufacturer is saying with their Warranty period they are "comfortable" covering upwards of 7 years. That may be indicative of something in and of itself in my opinion regarding the product and lifespan on average. However that is subject to use, variables like stress etc...

Regarding safety and "Can't I just use it until it goes?" short answer, yes and no.

Most motherboards have OVP protection(s) in place to safeguard against sudden failure from a component such as a power supply nevertheless there is the rare occurrence such a component could fail and take another component with it. People overclock, modify BIOS settings to those that are not recommended etc as well, such as turning off safeguards.

Average lifespan of PSUs can range I checked and found around 5 - 6 years; you'll notice most OEMs providing a Warranty to complement that. We spoke to Seasonic's above. I think most of the ground has been covered but I personally would go with a new PSU at the 6 year mark after what I just read, 6 looks like that sweet spot. Before buying anything I would strongly recommend attempting an RMA to obtain a new one under Warranty.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  4. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Active Member

GPU:
    2070 Super Trio
    dam
    Im in the same spot
    I have a super flower leadex gold 850w from nov 2014
    it's still running solid but recently I've started tracking some potential replacements and found the phanteks amp line to be perfect,they're based on the new ss focus but come with a quieter fan,lower price and even longer warranty.
    thinking about buying

K.S. likes this.

5. nutz

nutz Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Super
    to echo what K.S. said...I just replaced my Seasonic PSU because I was troubleshooting a reboot issue...if you're eligible to do the advanced RMA procedure, they'll ship you a new PSU and you just have to do a e-recycle thing and send them proof to transfer the remaining warranty to your new one...if they don't still make your model they'll send you a comparable PSU...I had a 1000W Elite Platinum and then sent me the same one except 1200W because I don't think they make the 1000 anymore.

K.S. likes this.
  6. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SOLD!
    ^ That’s fantastic service right there! :) Thanks for sharing.

7. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Product warranty is basically how long vendor assumes PSU will work before failure.

Difficult part is, products are not made equal and not used equally. Some PSU will fail after a week, some will work for more than a decade.
    You may buy a new PSU, and it might explode on you.

I'd keep PSU and replace it once there signs of instability.

cryohellinc and K.S. like this.
  8. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080ti
    Thanks guys! I was also thinking on the chances that a new one could be a dud and give me a headache
    I guess, Ill just have to wait and see if I buy an RTX 3000 and it does need a new PCIe connector for PSU

BTW, I think this PSU comes with 7 year warranty so about 2 years to go

K.S. likes this.
  9. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I would assume RTX3000 most likely to come with adapters to convert 2 x 6pins to 1 x 12 pins connector. Inside of case won't be the prettiest with adapters being hooked around, but it's free ;)

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Had an XFX 750w (Seasonic OEM) since 2012 and used it till 2018. Never any issue with it. But decided to give it a rest and replaced it with an Evga SuperNova 750w just for peace of mind. Keeping the older PSU as a spare and for trouble-shooting purposes might be worthwhile thing to do imo.

11. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070Super
    I never switch out psu without having system problems. Got a Corsair RM1000i and a Coolermaster V1000 , both from 2015 working daily without problems. The V1000 is in a plex server going 24/7/365 and the RM1000i is in my main pc used every day. If i ever suspect psu problems i use the other to check.

12. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I had a Xigmatek 750w that I had running in my rig for at least 10 years. I swapped it out for an EVGA super nova (I think?). The Xigmatek is still running fine though, it services my 3D printer now.

13. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I look at the warranty period and go from there per component because I know once that part is out of protection, there is one way to fix if it goes bad.

I have a Corsair HX1000 now. Previously a Corsair AX which blew, was replaced, then warranty ended after 10 years!

Now I have at least 8 more years on the new PSU which I will try to take to the next system if possible.

K.S. likes this.
  14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Interesting to hear your thoughts about PSU replacement as I've wondered the same thing myself. My PSU is also from 2015 and is working AFAIK well.
    Thing about switching is that I'd prefer not to wait until it actually breaks in fear or damaging other components. I think the warranty is 10 years so I guess I'm good for another 3 years or so before it's time to let it retire.

15. Chess

Chess Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    I have my Corair AX850i since it's launch and it still works well. Silent, stable as far as I know, more than enough for what I need.
    I just don't use the Corsair software anymore since well... it's a bit junky, just like ASUS's.

16. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    *FUMP* <=== until then! :D

AsiJu likes this.
  17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    If everything works just keep it.

Check voltages for 12 V, 5 V, 3.3 V and if they are stable and preferably slightly higher than nominal you're good.

BIOS or eg. HWinfo will tell you sensor readings that should be somewhat reliable.
    If you want to be absolutely sure check with a multimeter from suitable wires.

Software reading for 12 V might show something like 11.98 V and that should be fine I think.
    However I'd say if you get a reading lower than 11.95 V then verify with a multimeter.

If that too is below 12 V consider replacing in the near future.

18. oli3

oli3 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC
    Seasonic are my go to PSUs. I wouldn't say there's a definitive X amount of years for every fit out there. But in my opinion maybe around 10 years is what I consider end of life kinda period.

19. fallen_lassen

fallen_lassen New Member

GPU:
    GTX 950
    not more than 3 years

20. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx2080 superXS
    My Cosair HX1000i has served me well since my Asus rampage 3 x79 days...so over 8yrs, icue reports 3.3 vault at 3.4.... 5 at 5.10 and 12 at 12.10, its had an easy life the last few years since returning to the baking industry in 2014, given that it came with a ten year warranty i might retire it in 2022