IE8 Blues? How about Firefox 3.0 Vista Edition?

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by jalextacy, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Im just saying make it more clear to other people they are getting developer builds, no matter your own experience.

Nightly builds are not Alphas or Betas or anything but nightly builds. Alphas and Betas, are milestone builds.

Nightly builds are called so because they are the "build of the day/night", and new code is checked-in (added to the program) almost every day/night. When getting ready for milestone release the code tree is frozen. This means that no new code can be added. It is then tested and if nothing bad or unexpected is found it is released as a milestone build (i.e. bug checking and QA).

But I understand what you mean when you said the Trunk is in Beta.

I agree the Trunk is far ahead in it's development and as such stable, however the daily check-in of new code still makes it vulnerable to new bugs. But being so far in the development most of the new bugs you see now are much more "benign" then what you might see in early development. And on the flip side, it can be said that any new code which do not bring a new bug should only bring some improvement and as such much good can be said for developer builds as well. Personally i do think it's worth it but some precaution should be taken. At least that you know about it and realize the possible problems you might see. You might also want to take some precaution, like backing up profile data and such.

Which brings me back to the profile sharing, most people will end up running the Trunk on their Firefox 2.x profile, this is why i mention it. Not sure how far they are in the work of migration, some profile bugs have been fixed now but i still think running the Trunk on a 2.x profile can brake some profile related stuff. So again, maybe you should mention this in your first post.

Also can i ask why you need to disable the extensions.checkUpdateSecurity check ?

2. jalextacy

jalextacy Member Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek HD 4870 512mb
    First off, Use this at your own risk. I don't get commission from Mozilla and I really don't care what browser you use. I just thought this was cool... have had absolutely no problems with the nightly builds... which are beta code that has been added upon nightly. So obviously there is the potential that somehow they would compile the nightly code with crap added into it that would ruin the browser.... however that makes no sense to me as I feel they do at least initial testing before even releasing the nightly version.

And also I don't think I should have had to mention anything about developer builds or whatnot. I mentioned that this was the nightly release of Mozilla Firefox 3 which is in beta. The term Beta itself should let most experienced people know that this isn't a finished product. And like my original post said if I had problems with this browser I would not have posted it.

Also, you don't have to do this part. It was completely optional and it is the way that you can install any extension with Firefox 3 which were previously incompatible. The Stylish in my OP has had the .inf modified and will work if you just download it to your desktop and then drag it into your browser.

And as far as people's 2.0 trunks work. I honestly don't care, I don't even use FF2 anymore myself. If you want to keep your FF2.0 profile, I probably wouldn't even update honestly. Yes you can have both, but that would require people figure that all out on their own as this is not a guide about everything to do with Firefox. If you want FF2 installed with this version of Firefox then I would personally suggest downloading Portable FF2 which you can find through Google.

And finally, Come on Guru's.... this all really isn't so complicated. :3eyes:

3. Jordus

Jordus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon X800 PRO / Stock
    IE8 beta is terribly unstable.

However FF 3 Beta 4 isnt totally useable either.

4. zigihammer

zigihammer Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1060
    I'm using FF 3 beta 4, working for me with no problems.
    Fast and stable.

5. Jordus

Jordus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon X800 PRO / Stock
    I mainly ran into problems with having adobe extensions installed (flash, shockwave) and things like quicktime and it just did NOT want to recognize them.

Restart firefox, nope.

reboot windows, nope.

Finally a couple days later it would just "get a clue"

6. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    Both IE8 and FF3 are beta software. Using either as your main browser is crazy.

7. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Pulse
    I'm also using FF 3 beta 4, have been for about a week now, no glaringly obvious problems - yet :)

8. Jordus

Jordus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon X800 PRO / Stock
    Where would we be without you, Major Perception?

You can have IE8 and 7 installed at the same time as well as Firefox 2 and 3 Beta.

So its not like you are stuck with one if its installed.

9. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    FYI, I have been using alpha and beta builds for Mozilla, since before Mozilla 1.0. Other than some betas for 1.0.6 (IIRC), they have all been rock solid.

10. Drizzt

Drizzt Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 7800GT @ Stock OC
    Been using FF3B3 now B4 for two weeks and it is working better than FF2.

11. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    i tried FF3B4 since IE7 seems to be giving me a little issue right now..... but i didn't like the fact that sometimes Firefox 3 seemed to completely disregard the fact that i was pressing the Back button on my MX1000.

12. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i had nothing but problems with FF3, especially with some of my "must have" addons, thanks but no thanks.
    FF2 does the job just fine as after all its just browsing the web

13. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    The code is reviewed before check-in and a few automated tests are run, mainly for perf numbers, but it is not until the build is really tested that we know anything. This is what people running nightly builds do, they test the builds. The daily/nightly code check-ins are not done so the general public can have new code every day. Mozilla would never put out nightly builds for the general public, they don't even like people running the Betas much (to much hassle having to explain why some things don't work etc etc etc).
    I didn't say you had to mention anything. However I had to because you called the nightly builds Beta, which again they are not and you should not be fooled by the branding. The Trunk is branded b5 but it is NOT Beta 5 it is working it's way to the Beta 5 milestone, then it will (likely) work it's way to RC and then the release. But the branding is done before the code is done (i think strings are usually frozen before the code).

Which is why i asked about it and tried to make it clear that maybe it is not such a good idea. If it serves no purpose other then making Firefox less secure maybe you should remove that part.
    You don't have to tell me you don't really care that is why i had to mention it in the first place. But i see you did edit your post. It's really not that im trying to be a thread nazi i am only trying to avoid the situation where people happily passing by should see this thread and end up installing a possible buggy developer build not fully realizing what it is. Then turn off extension compatibility check and brake the browser installing incompatible extensions. Then turn off the security check on extensions for apparently no good reason (as you said just download it and install) with whatever consequence that might have. Then run the 3.x Firefox build on their 2.x profile and possibly brake it.

Gee I don't know maybe i shouldn't care but i do.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  14. mykledw

mykledw Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSi RTX GT 2080
    I am running FF Beta2ver4 on Vista 64 and it is the best yet by far..........

Zero bugs other than trying to install video codecs to view stuff...........like movies that are imbedded..............nascar.com for example they wont play and some cough*pron*cough...............

but other than that I love it...................

and by the way, I do not have any IE installed in my rig what so ever, just to show my complete support to FF.............................

ROCK ON!!!!!!

15. jalextacy

jalextacy Member Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek HD 4870 512mb
    :stewpid:

Post has been edited to only include a link to the official beta released from Mozilla.

Also Stylish was updated yesterday and now it is compatible with all beta's up to pre beta 5, so I removed the section about making the extensions compatible.

I hope this makes everybody happy.

16. jalextacy

jalextacy Member Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek HD 4870 512mb
    A lot of embedded video's won't play on 64-bit browsers because Adobe has yet to release a 64-bit version of Flash.

If you want to see Flash videos like as shown on Youtube, you need to install the 32-bit browser even though you are using Vista x64.

17. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
  18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Dunno, i've been using nightly builds of firefox for almost a year now -- only in the really early stages of a new release is it buggy. I'm a whore for submitting bug reports though.

19. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    Where would I be without you? my own personal forum troll.

It's been a while... I would have thought you'd be salivating at the chance to ruin the thread about the new version of safari?

You know, just because you disagree with someone, or don't like what they say, you don't have the right to be rude and disrespectful.

20. Jordus

Jordus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon X800 PRO / Stock

Me and a couple others stated we were using a beta browser and you come up with this otherworldly piece of knowledge that "its beta software, ZOMG dont use it as your main browser!!1"

That offered nothign to the discussion at hand...but im the one that ruins threads right?

Im guessing you havnt even tried either browser. (IE8 or FF3)

IE8 installs standalone as does FF3 so you can simply click on another browser (IE7 or FF2) to use when you hit a bug in the others.

I think most people know they shouldnt throw beta software out there in a "production" environment and if they dont know that, they deserve what they get.

BTW, i already "ruined" the safari thread by pointing out the obvious. Nobody gives a **** about Safari for windows.