IE 6.0 reviews

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by OrionQuest, Aug 28, 2001.

1. OrionQuest

OrionQuest Guest

Just wondering if anybody has installed IE 6.0, and was wondering if it is any good,is it is more secure than 5.5 etc, I kind of wonder why Microsoft puts out IE 5.5 SP2 2 weeks before they release 6.0 ?, makes you wonder if all the secure updates are in 6.0 like 5.5 SP2<br><br><i>This message was edited by OrionQuest on 28 Aug 2001 02:22 AM</i>

2. Alyson_J

Alyson_J Active Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    we have IE 6 Beta on our laptop - currently it's a little slower than IE5 due to the excess debug code in it - it does appear tighter security wise.<br>
    <br>
    Like all Betas you should only use on a system you're happy to reinstall - IE6 is a bitch to get rid of if you want to go back to 5.5 as it contains XP code and integrates with the desktop more than ever before - NO AUTOMATIC UNINSTALL.<br>
    <br>
    I helped a friend get rid of it on his WIN98 system and it meant a manual uninstall and registry edits - took ages but was able to go back to 5.5 in the end.<br>
    <br>
    MS have always supported products until they issue and end of life statement - they still are providing patches for IE5.0 etc as they know people don't always upgrade browsers and it'd be amiss of them not to close holes when they become aware of them - which is the reason they issue service packs for current products even when new products come out. Working for a software house we do this all the time - it's a courtesy to customers.<br>
    <br>
    IMO - best off waiting until the final version is out.<br>
    <br>
    Alyson<br>
    <br>
    <i>This message was edited by Alyson_J on 28 Aug 2001 06:24 AM</i><br><br><i>This message was edited by Alyson_J on 28 Aug 2001 06:26 AM</i>

3. Ant

Ant Don Michael Corleone

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D 9600GT 512MB
    IE6 is a little slower, but on my sys (which is 500Mhz 364Mb) it runs well, crashes much less than ie5.5 too.<br>
    <br>
    Dl at your own peril though, it took me two installs of the thing b 4 it worked !

4. WeaZel

WeaZel Guest

i have beta 2530? i just downloaded the final....crap i don't remember where the speed u tweak is in this forum. o well..