Idle BSODs on 3700x

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by ReD-EyeD, Mar 30, 2020.

1. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
    Got any other ram beside that kingston to check? at least you can remove the doubt about that kit.
    if it doesnt bsod with other ram then it's the ram if it keeps bsoding it's something else. which slots are you using first two or the other two, that might be a factor too
    meaning of the slots a1 b1 or a2 b2?

2. ReD-EyeD

ReD-EyeD Member

GPU:
    If I had a spare ram to test I'd for sure already tested it.
    I'm using A2/B2 (and A2 for single stick test) A1/B1 doesn't post, but it's stated in the manual.

3. ocsystem

ocsystem Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI1070Ti
    is your system overclocked?
    did you tried with bios default settings? stress test with default settings?

4. ReD-EyeD

ReD-EyeD Member

GPU:
    No, the problem appeared on the absolute default settings. Obviously I'd try the default to solve this problem before testing everything.
    Also I can finish RealBench 2-4 hours stress test (as advised by many) without problems. Bsods seem to happen on idle to low load like almost no background processes or watching videos/browsing.

5. Ray

Ray New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 / 8GB
    I am no expert on RAM settings.
    But when i got my new 3700x i had BSOD's all the time, memtest errors, BIOS and POST hangs.
    BSOD's happened when system was doing nothing, likewise if i started bench marking/burinin programs direct at windows login it could run indefinitely without BSODS or errors.

I got 4 weeks of tech support from mobo manufacturer, 2 weeks RAM manufacturer.
    Then the tech support of the shop where i bought my stuff gave me this tip.

Reset BIOS settings to default.
    Enable XMP
    Set RAM speed to XMP speed - 100mhz

I cannot explain how or why and really don't know if it will help your system, but since then i haven't had a single hang/crash/BSOD.

Good luck!

ReD-EyeD likes this.
  6. ReD-EyeD

ReD-EyeD Member

GPU:
    Does this mean "minus 100mhz"?
    Thank you for the answer. It does indeed seem very similar to my problem. What are your mobo and ram?

7. Ray

Ray New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 / 8GB
    yes, the xmp speed minus 100mhz

I got the tip saying that they use this setting with all Ryzen builds that have memory stability issues when enabling XMP
    And apparently this is common knowledge for Ryzen users (but i never found anything about this fix)

Specs are very different
    Mainboard: GigaByte Aorus Pro

Corsair vengeance LPX (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)
    3200Mhz at 16-18-18-36 Running @3100mhz 16-18-18-36 (Hynix AFR) < has the worst (or almost) Ryzen compatibility

8. ocsystem

ocsystem Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI1070Ti
    ^^^ If thats the case you can increment vdimm to compensate.

9. ReD-EyeD

ReD-EyeD Member

GPU:
    So I just tried that and got the same bsod.
    I guess all left is to try my luck buying another ram...

10. ReD-EyeD

ReD-EyeD Member

GPU:
    Update:
    So, I'm on a new 3600x and I have yet to encounter any problems here. If there is anyone with a similar problem with a decently old gen3 ryzen you should really look into changing it as apparently earlier chips have this problem.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I am unaware of any issue with early zen 2 batches, but there are definitely cases of bad chips around.

12. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    As a general rule, Ryzen 3000 loves Micron memory, I have it here, courtesy of the bargain-bin at Micro Center. It's 3000mhz CL-15 and runs fine on a Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX motherboard (the cheap one) just using xmp with my 3700x. Only Micro Center in summer 2019 puts 3000mhz CL-15 16gb sticks in a bargain bin.

These things to try for the OP:
    DO update your BIOS.
    Do run the system with ONE stick of ram for a while and see if it crashes, then try running it with ONE stick of RAM using the other stick from the kit. See if memory errors come back. Do this for a few days each stick if you must or run benchmarks all night (when power is cheap and it's cool out) and leave it idle in the day.
    Make sure the BIOS voltages for Ryzen have not been changed or lowered. Many folks forget this and see 1.5v and freak out and lower it, castrating the processor boost algorithm/ability.
    IRQ Not Less or Equal is a MEMORY error. This is caused by the board not liking the memory, or the memory being defective, or not given enough clean and stable power. On some systems you can over-volt the ram by just a little bit (say if it ran at 1.35v you could give it 1.365v). This can also happen due to ripple or poor quality power supply (or a defective unit!), but I doubt it's that as they usually go haywire under load - usually. I would say that's last on the list to replace if so. This can even happen due to an appliance kicking on and causing a droop in power (like when your lights darken for a second when the air conditioner kicks on). Move your PC to another circuit if this is the case, or move the appliance. Do not leave a PC on the same circuit as an AC unit or other large appliance.
    I would also say something COULD BE defective with the system if lowering the ram to 2933mhz but advertised timings for 3200mhz don't work. Take the X470 board back to where you got it and bring home an X570 board, the difference in price is a pittance, and it's easier to get tighter RAM timings with Micron on X570 vs X470/B450.
    I would get a different brand / model of motherboard at the very least IF you've already well-tested the memory and it's good.
    If memory errors are what you're getting, it could even be a defective processor, but while it CAN and sometimes DOES happen, it's not usually that. DO re-seat the processor however, just to be sure.
    If all else fails, RMA the processor...

Sorry, just got up, so this paragraph isn't the best, but do try everything.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Ryzen loves samsung b dies more :D

14. Kool64

Kool64 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2070S
    Ryzen eats Bdies like candy. I bought some 3600 C18 hoping for Hynix CJR which is almost as good as Bdie but ended up with MFR instead :(

15. bobblunderton

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    I was stating that as B-die production stopped last summer, so by now in spring, not much is available of B-die except the used market. So we must use Micron if we want new.

16. eLGbesi

eLGbesi Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    hello , i have 3800x and rog crosshair VIII hero , i started having this problem after my asus monitor died " VG278Q " , on idle only i get BSOD at least once or twice a day , i tried every thing -100 on memory , new bios old bios nothing worked .
    but last week i used the asus Ai Suit 3 software to put my system on power saving mode because i wasnt using it for anything other than browsing the internet and to my surprise the system never BSOD ,so i decided to leave it on and see how long this will last , so far 6 days and no BSOD .
    so if anyone here can figure out why the power saving mode prevent the BSOD ? or try it at least to see if it works for them ?

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    There are known cases of defective Zen 3 processors doing either spontaneous restarts without any triggering of the kernel exception handler as well as those that do,

Contact AMD for RMA, in a few of these cases running a constant 1.35v+ seems to keep the chip stable but this is not how these chips are supposed to be run.

18. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    You can try enabling Vdroop protection and run the AMD Ryzen Balanced profile. Also, if you haven't already, update your AMD chipset package. And BIOS. (it's up to 1302)

19. bobblunderton

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    I checked with some folks and some reference/guides via the internet from tech folks like those that frequent here.
    If it BSOD's on idle but not under load, you need to raise voltages on the chip/soc/ram just a little. Just knock it up one increment at a time on stuff until it doesn't BSOD anymore, and then write it down (in-case you need the settings later if you later update BIOS and lose the settings).
    Vdroop like another user said can cause exactly this, especially if you have a rather weak VRM that's not equipped with a heat sink itself (or not a good one), that could be getting hot (especially if you do not use the downdraft cooler). VRM's when hot will BSOD the system due to protections at the hardware level for thermals.
    If going up a few increments on voltages makes the chip run too hot (over 85~90C regularly under load with stock cooler) or doesn't work, then consider replacing motherboard/ram/cpu stuff. There's no reason why it shouldn't work on default *or* default & XMP settings outside of motherboards being picky about RAM now and then.
    It's a shame you have issues as the 3700x is really a stellar chip for just about everything. I'm loving mine I know that much.
    When you get yours settled in nice and it doesn't crash anymore you will love it too.