Idiots at PC Stores

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Stromgold, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Stromgold

Stromgold Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060

I know what you mean. A while back I went into a small local pc store for the first and last time. I was checking prices and selection since I had never been in the store, and was curious as to what they had to offer.
    First thing I looked at was their selection of ram, and the best they had was some no-name ram that only came in single 1gb sticks, and they were about 100.00 each! Further inspection showed that it was only pc2 5300 as well. :3eyes:
    I just laughed and walked out.

2. Lahomer

Lahomer Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX280 SLI 680/1463/1215
    I work at a PC Store i fix and build computers and work outside to fix network problems etc. But my boss is a dick he lies to people and sells them things they dont need. He also thinks he knows everything but doens'nt :grin: currently searching for different job .. lame people

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  3. apintojr

apintojr Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX3070
    i'll keep mines short n sweet. i walk into a custom PC shop. hoping they would have an evga mobo after my 780 went to crap.

i asked the sales rep if they had evga motherboards. he replies with, evga doesnt make mobo, they only make video cards.

at this point i just looked at him, laughed my ass off, and walked out shaking my head.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  4. Lahomer

Lahomer Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX280 SLI 680/1463/1215
    LoL nice one :banana:

5. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    Double on that! WTF ever happened to "Job Qualifications"? It makes me sick; the way this society is disintegrating! You should all look up that word in the dictionary if you're unfamiliar with it.
    There have been many occasions when the salesperson told me an item didn't exist and all the while, there's been one sitting on my desktop. Then there's the; "we have another item you might be interested in", "Would you like this item to go along with it?", "Do you want to get a printer with that? They're on sale."
    Fastfood ex: I say, "One quarter pounder - to go. I want everything; but I want mustard, instead of mayo or ketchup. We all know the first answer; "would you like..." She then asked me again, if I wanted it to go or stay.
    I usually have to repeat my order 3 or 4 times. I'm far from being an intellectual (I think ;)), although, I like to think that I speak quite clearly and my pronunciation is good as well. I'm deaf in one ear and I know I'm speaking loudly enough, because I tend to overcomensate
    AFAIC; anyone working in a computer store who can't answer a simple computer oriented question should be charged with 'Fraud', or how 'bout, "Impersonatiing a Computer technician"? :banana:
    I once asked: "What's the MTBF with this disc? Of course, he didn't have a clue as to what I was referring to! :knock:
    This world is getting sicker and dumber by the second. I think everyone should start reading their food product labels. I'll leave it at that.

6. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    Randy: you actually go into fast food places? ......eew?

But yeah. Twice i was offered an interview at this one computer place in Easton, PA (only twice, because i believe the name of the place changed). First time.... i found it kind of stupid that, for the so-called "interview".... the guy lead me into the back room, sat me down behind one of the computers they were working on, said "see if you can figure out what's wrong with this computer".... and wandered off for a couple minutes. I just sat there thinking to myself "..... i thought this was an interview, not free labor."

Second time i went in.... My interview was scheduled for right around the time the store opened. Wound up standing outside the door of the place talking to the other guy that worked there for like half an hour.... maybe more. At one point the guy was like "you don't want to work here. The last guy quit because he had been working for a few weeks, but didn't really get paid." Yes.... i know businesses have commission... but you usually don't work on JUST commission. Almost seems like a not-so-illegal way of saying free labor.... and i started having a deja-vu moment. lol

Talked to the guy for a bit (again.... didn't seem like that much of an interview). He asked if i was interested in the job, and i told him i am, but have another job pending that's closer to where i live (which was a lie). he told me if that one went downhill, to give him a call. yeah... i'll get right on that :rolleyes: 45 minute drive.... to work at a place where there's a possibility of not being paid anything for weeks at a time.... with a BOSS that seems to show up whenever he wants? f*ck that!

7. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 570
    Really funny posts lol.

Same thing here, last month I went to the biggest computer fair in Jakarta and found a booth selling 19' LCD monitors for only around $130, which is very cheap in my country. The booth was so crowded with costumers, and there was a costumer complaining to the sales person that the monitor he just bought couldn't render image at its native resolution, only @ 800x600 and 1024x768. Also the image was displayed only on half part of the screen, leaving a big blank screen on the other half.

The technician tried to fix this but no luck. Then I said, you need to install the display driver to let windows knows the monitor's supported resolutions. The guy seemed to be clueless about installing drivers, so I said, give me the CD driver for the laptop that you're using for testing the monitor and I'll install it for you. He asked one of his friend to take the CD, and I install it. Then I told him, to fix the half blank screen just press the auto config button on the monitor, and the monitor will adjust the image size by it self.

That saved his day. He should gave me discount for the monitor I bought.

8. Lahomer

Lahomer Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX280 SLI 680/1463/1215
    Clueless about installing drivers .... unbelievable :bang:

9. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    This is why people should run from Best Buy.... Same mentality, same stupid ass people... I hear horror stories everyday from my clients how they were once screwed by the geek squad...... or Best buy in general.

anyways, let them keep screwing people over, it just keeps me busier all the time when they wake up.

Put it this way, the only thing id ever buy from Best buy is a candy bar..... And id have to be starving to death!!!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  10. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    I rather like how the clerks in shops sell rigs ( complete ) to ppl wihtout the clue about PC.

Asks ..."I would like to buy PC for gamingg"

And here is the example rig client gets

Some uber CPU ( must be quad and high end 400$+ )
    RAM : Highest priced one , must be DDR3 (even year ago when DDR3 prices were retarted).
    GPU : (here is the best thing ) Some MID-LOW range card (9600GT or lower).
    PSU : Crap , they never look on volts or amps or even know the requiment for given PC.

Result : Client pays alot of money, and not nessesary geting good performace.

Its just stupid, no matter how we look at this if we are getting gaming PC , GPU will be most important, even sometimes bottlenecked ( which we now know, isnt that big issue),
    GPU Does most job in the games.

Ah and the same goes for PCs in supermarkets ( sometimes they have good CPU or huge HDD ) and retarted GPU ...

11. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    I was in Fry's getting some cable adapter thing and some "sales person" was helping a guy pick out stuff for what he was calling his gaming machine. He had good stuff, but his GPU was an 8600gt. He was saying he could not wait to play crysis on his new 24" monitor. I told him that his 8600gt was not very good and he needed a way better card for crysis. The "sales person" told him that I was an idiot and that the 8600gt could max it out on his monitor because he had a 2.4 Ghz Dual Core CPU. I told the guy to keep his receipt because he will need it and walked away.

I have also seen the reverse of this as a person wants a basic GPU for thier low end machine and the "sales person" tries to sell them an 8800GTX, which is 549.99. That customer was smart and said "I only paid 500 for all the rest of the parts, I do not think I need to spend more than my entire purchase on just a graphics card." Pissed the "sales person" off.

12. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    Actually, I hardly ever go to fast food places, except for coffee. :)
    I can cook 'real' hamburgers at home.

13. Aioras

Aioras Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti ***937;
    That´s the problem, there are many people making lots of money like this, f*** wankers.....:biggun:

14. <=V.H.F=>A3ON

<=V.H.F=>A3ON Member

GPU:
    ati radeon 9600 pro 256mb
    all the mauger retail outlets in South Africa sell pcs with the q9300, 4gigs ram,xp pro/vista home basic, 500gig hdd, nvidia 8400gs.... this sells for over 10k

15. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    That is sick!!!!:biggun:

16. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    It looks like were the sucker's doesn't it. :p

17. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    For every idiot employee, there are 50 idiot consumers.
    anyone ever eavesdrop on someone interested in a computer talking with an employee at those places?
    "is the internet fast on it?"
    lol, f****g people

they always ask consumers, "what are you going to use it for" and i've heard responses like, email and burning music....lol, any old cheap linuxbox can do that quickly enough and their looking at some $1200 overpriced HP

18. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 570
    Talking about GPU, I met 2 guys already who judge the performance of a video card by the amount of its memory without considering the chipset. The first one have owned a computer store, and the second one is a computer technician.

When I mentioned some of the chipsets like 8800gt, or hd3850, they said they don't keep up with hardware anymore. Duh, its their field of work but they don't keep up???

19. Stromgold

Stromgold Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    LOL... I'm just glad they aren't doctors or pilots. :wanker:

20. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    I think hardware and software are two completely different fields and should be regarded as such.

I don't expect an antivirus software programmer to know anything about videocard drivers. At the very least he should be able to make a decent GUI. :p