Idiots at PC Stores

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Stromgold, Jan 4, 2009.

1. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I saw an 8800GTX for sale for $250 at a local computer store called Stone computer. Did not like that too much.

2. chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI 2xEVGA GTX260 core216
    OMG! how the F**K did i miss this thread. I have the misfortune of living in Raleigh and I could write a book on the staff at Tiger Direct and on some of the Best Buy boys in the same area too. I mean this area is known as the triangle and is host to some of the biggest technology and research companies in the country. You would think this alone would mean Raleigh has an abundance of tech geeks and computer savvy people, but it seems to me as though Tiger Direct are not posting their job ads were these intelligent tech heads will see it, instead they are posting the job ads in the local crack house.

Now i'm a big believer in Newegg for all my computer parts and I would say that i have an above average knowledge of modern day computers and hardware as you can see by my specs on the left and some of my posts around the forum, but thats not to say I know it all, i'm like the rest of you on here, I learn something new everyday. Thats why I visit here. Anyway, it's not very often that I venture inside Tiger direct but one of my colleagues wanted to buy his wife a laptop from Dell for $1400, I told him to go look in Tiger Direct which have a very good selection of laptops and some nice refurbished Gateways with the same specs as the Dell but cost only $600 ( I know because i bought my wife 1) Anyway, to cut along story short, I met my colleague and his wife at Tiger direct that afternoon and we started viewing the laptops, now my friend and his wife no nothing about computers, so I asked what they programs they were going to run, if they played games and if they watched movies on the computer. About 5 minutes into are conversation 1 of the "Tiger Direct Elite" showed up and immediately started spouting out bull sh*t, then he tried to sell them a laptop which came with XP (obviously old stock they were trying to move) and told us that XP was twice as fast as Vista and that Vista didn't support the office software she wanted to run (MS office 2007). After listening to this dumb ass for about 5 mintues I could contain myself no longer. So I started by asking him if he had Vista on his own computer.........answer was no! I asked him why the laptop with Vista 32bit and 4GB of ram was better than the one with Vista 32bit and 3GB of ram (which he had told us)...........answer was the more ram would make it run faster........to which i replied "then how does the 4gb system address all that ram, with the on board graphics/audio/cpu cache/hard drive cache etc: , when 32bit can only address 4gb max?"........this stumped him and he realized that I wasn't Mr. Nobrains when it came to computers. He then started asking me about my computer and what i ran, when I told him i was on 64bit with the new i7 cpu (this was 10 days after the launch of i7). he said "ohhhh, the i7 chip, that's the new one they are calling wolfdale". After that i gave up on him. We bought a nice laptop and left.

Although my story isn't very shocking, one of my friends last year (who has good knowledge of computers) overheard one of the clerks in Tiger Direct selling a 680i motherboard with a AM2 cpu. My friend stuck his nose in and educated the clerk on the compatibilities of the 2 pieces of hardware.

I have other stories about the same store but I think the 2 above sums them up.

3. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    is geek squad train their employees themselves, make them take a class or do they require college degree? i was just curious, sometimes i think i wouldnt mind working there cause i love handling all electronics, but i dont know anything about them.
    all i know is they charge $60 just to install some simple Antivirus n stuff, lol
    i should loiter there and butt in saying "hey, i'll do it for half that price"

i dont know geeksquads employee skills, never dealt with em, but they should be the ones talking to customers about purchases instead of those worthless college kids they keep hiring.

4. itsmikey76

itsmikey76 Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor RX5700xt
    Bah they couldn't pay me enough too work for them.(I hate shirt and ties)

5. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    and what you expected? seeing about who builds the pcs

im ****ing tired of repair slow pcs with 256mb of ram and pentium 4 at 3ghz (who had the great idea of this build¿ bcs ive alrdy seen 4 pcs with it ><, what gets me crazy is that you see the BIOS post and you see, 3ghz, uuh this wont get me sleeping, and then you see the ram... ><), wtf my amd at 1'5ghz alrdy had 1gb of ram at those times @@

anyways whats wrong with college kids? we can have as much knowledge about hardware as any other person, and usually selling pcs in a shop its not what i call a good job for a person who has years of experience xD.

6. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Super Jetstream
    I myself have worked on a computer store before and yes, most of them act like they are very smart when they are really not, i have lots of facepalm moments that time hehe. One incident when i was assigned on the technical dept. and they brag their speed on assembling computers. Well, i don't mind since they usually assemble cheap ones and almost everyday they build almost the same hardware so its natural, but they went ??? when some folks custom built their own computer with high end parts (large chassis, modular type PSU where they plug all the cables even when its not needed, a massive CPU heatsink etc.) i tried to assist em but their pride won't let me -_-
    Also they handle computer parts as they were ordinary objects sometimes, im the one who gets nervous when they just randomly toss around the 8800GT during inspection (it was a new item that time)

Also, like ElementalDragon said about the geek/tech squad/support, they usually follow some rules that would make em more money like making em buy some unnecesary upgrades/replacements and stuffs. Afaik, in some stores its not like this though

7. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    Viper: yeah... it's bad enough when people can't even figure out that touching the bottom of DVD's, or setting them on surfaces that have unknown substances on them is not a good way to handle them. Sucks when you can't even rent a DVD less than a week after it's released and get it in perfect condition. usually has fingerprints and smudges and who knows what else on the bottom. Exactly why i try to rent new movies the DAY they're released. With how people handle something like a DVD, the thought of a regular not-so-PC-literate person handling computer hardware would make me cringe too. lol

Really shoulda made a comment to that dude who was lookin at the Gateway FX.... coulda probably made myself a bit of money there. Then again.... i hate it in Allentown... and it seemed like that's roughly where he lived... somewhere in that area. *sigh*

8. tb28w3

tb28w3 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4670 Crossfire
    AMEN!!! Microcenter is great! I go to the one i Houston and loves it!

I generally bought everything from Newegg, and usually do for vid cards, but microcenter has great deals and decent enough service.

I also have a good one in Houston called Directron.com Their warehouse is in Houston and I've bought a good deal of products from them.

Frys in H-Town also is okay...... don't buy as much, mostly their combos where you pay for a CPU and get the mobo free.

9. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    The Geek Squad counter at Best Buy in Westbury is ALWAYS crowded. My friend actually had to use them last week cause his mac notebook kinda died and the mac store was backed up for a week and a half. $400 later the notebook was fixed but they refused to tell my friend what was actually wrong in the first place. lol

And the Microcenter in Westbury has a few employees who know what they are talking about. Most use their arse as their mouthpiece though.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  10. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    haha, he grinned...wtf:nerd:

11. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    nyrmetros: yeah... that's never a good thing. IMHO, they probably didn't say what was wrong because they would have probably gotten a severely stupid look as to why something so mediocre cost $400 to fix. lol

Then again.... it's an Apple.... where damn near everything seems to cost at LEAST 3x more than anything else. Nice 24" Gateway monitor = $429. Equally as nice, although probably not quite as input-happy Apple 24" Cinema Display = $1,299-ish. thanks, but no thanks. :banana:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  12. kaazz

kaazz Master Guru

GPU:
    nVidia 8800GT 512mb
    I just need to point something. This kind of issue does not happens only about hardware. It happens on every kind of subject.

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    LOl - I was looking at some Computers in the Electronics Department of a Department store the other day and asked the guy a few simple questions about some Prebuilt systems they had there. Simple things like "what motherboard does this have?" "what Socket CPU does this have?" "what gfx card does this have?". The salesman had no idea what I was talking about, so I borrowed a screwdriver and took the case off so I could see. Before I left the store the manager had offered me a job lol which I politely declined...

Other side of the coin are salesman with a LITTLE knowledge (usually misguided) who as already posted think they know more than all customers and insist on arguing a non debatable point..
    I can't help but stay in the store an extra 20mins to firmly increase their awareness on IT matters - that's just me though....lol

14. <=V.H.F=>A3ON

<=V.H.F=>A3ON Member

GPU:
    ati radeon 9600 pro 256mb
    everywhere i turn i see noob computer stores that dont know jack and with prices so high you have to take out a secound mortgage or sell your car!!! but there is 1 place chaos computers where they actually know what ppl are talking about, they know everything and anything about the things that they sell

15. vindassius

vindassius Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTX
    we have idiots like that over here in the uk - they all seem to work for pc world :D

i've been dossing about with computers since the spectrum 48k (self build) all the way upto my current rig with about 50 different configs and have worked for 3 of the 5 biggest pc parts sellers in manchester... Aria...Planetmicro...Aone only microdirect and scan i aint...i was a network administrators at a school (awarded college status and won awards for the ict suites) for over 2 years...

i must admit i get a kick out of going in pc world every once in a while to upset them...

PCW guy - Anything i can help u with?

Me - im looking for a raptor hard drive (knowing full well they dont sell them)

pcw guy - (Vacant expression appears) we've got these ide one's at 5400 that are fast!

me - its a serial ata drive that is 10000rpm made by western digital and cost a £££

pcw guy - (id10t error appears) walks of saying if u do need anything ask that guy over there :p

it really does make my day :D

16. vindassius

vindassius Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTX
    best place i know for ppl in the know...planet micro in failsworth manchester...only my mate though...he's got a brain like a sponge :D

scan the tech guys there know there stuff (well most of them)

and there's one tech guy at aria thats been there from when i worked there about 5 years ago...

17. Doug

Doug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    theres a small private pc shop near me which is great and the guys really know their stuff. my dad bought me some vouchers for it for xmas and he says

'yeah my sons really into pc's, everyday he wakes up and first thing he does is turn his pc on blah blah'
    and the shop guy replied 'well he cant be that much into them.. he turns his pc off?'

this is what we need more of, friendly witty pc shops run by HUMAN BEINGS :)

18. vindassius

vindassius Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTX
    ha ha ha pmsl...

well he cant be that much into them.. he turns his pc off :D

19. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    sometimes i just go into shops to argue with idoits guess i'm bored :D

20. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    Same hear, i like my local pc shop, they do have some salesmen (idiots) there though, the majority of them are competent. The owner is a dick though, good thing he's never there. LOL

I usually just buy heatsinks, adapters and thermalpaste there though. At least they know what i'm talking about when i say sata and thermalpads. :)