Idiots at PC Stores

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Stromgold, Jan 4, 2009.

1. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB Vision 3080 10GB
    Lol I only recommend ram that are lower speeds if I knew what was inside and know they're capable of OCing at higher speeds :p and if the individual knows how to OC, regular people I recommend for what they need.

But thats how the world is, you have people with no knowledge of things and trying to convince people to buy them or think what they know is right. A lot of consumers who don't know anything about computers always agree and think the sales person is right even though they just want in for the commission. Thats why whenever my parents shop for gadgets (HDTVs, Cameras, Phones, etc...) I go with them because my mom knows that I know a lot about technology and agrees/disagrees based on what I say :p.

So if anything buy online or when you buy something tell them what you want and don't listen to what they say. Unless they prove they know their stuff then most of these people just read whats on the box or whats on paper.

lol kinda reminds me of this one kid looking at this HDMI cord that was priced at $100...

2. <=V.H.F=>A3ON

<=V.H.F=>A3ON Member

GPU:
    ati radeon 9600 pro 256mb
    OMW I had the same thing down here, i was recomending somethngs for a mate of mine, unfortunately he couldnt get anything from *********rs so he went to this 1 retail shop/xbox cafe/internet cafe to get a quote... anywaY he only had about R4000 (rand)-$400, so the guy chucks him a qoute for R5800!!!! then he calls me up and asks me to talk to the guy to try and find things to scale down... in that pc he had a 460 watt coolermaster psu, 2x1 gig corsair xms coolermaster elite 330 amd athlon 64x2 2.8ghz on a msi 7901x mobo with a 160gig hdd, now all of that is actually really good, and really affordable aswell, but then he got to the gfx card!!!! it was a sapphire 3850 toxic edition, ..... for R2100.....
    way to expensive, i tell him for that money you can get 4850, 2x better, starts blowing my head off, then i say that for only R1600 you can get xfx/msi 9800gt which is still better and we kept going at each other... but the end of the day he said to my friend, who are you going to trust a 15 year old kid or me whos been doing this for a couple of years, he ripped off my mate soo bad...

i hate retailers....

3. <=V.H.F=>A3ON

<=V.H.F=>A3ON Member

GPU:
    *********-*********rs

4. <=V.H.F=>A3ON

<=V.H.F=>A3ON Member

GPU:
    *******-disributers

5. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    yeh that words banned due to advertsing/spamming or something.

6. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Vega56 8GB
    Lol, this makes me remember a sales cleric i heard 10 years ago when i was in a hardware shop. He said: "Yes sir, a better videocard (Voodoo 2 in SLI) also gives you faster internet"
    I was like "WTF???" and i sometimes still think about that moron. :puke2:

7. KiLO

KiLO Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 260OCX in SLI
    Same things happened to me before to shame and name its Computer Orbit in Gateshead, Newcastle. Me and my partner walks in she wants a new mobo/cpu combo she hates AMD cause I cant overclock them :bang:

So anyway, she wants Nvidia chipset, a 750i to be exact cause at the time I was running a 650i sweat as a nut. We tell the guy "P5N-D, its there, the blue box" he then proceads to pick up a striker extreme, first thing I notice its AMD stamped all over it, I point this out so he pulls out another board. God damn 790i so anyway I let this pass cause he's ethnic and Im thinking there a communication problem. So we let that fly after again pointing to the box behind the shelf and saying "no, that one please" eventually we get our hands on it. Down to the cpu she didnt want to spend a lot so I told her to get a nice bargain bang for buck I think its the E6600, the 2.2Ghz C2D FSB 800Mhz.. Now this is where its got very frustrating!

I told her buy that and this board Ill overclock it all to 3Ghz for you no problem with no extra expense Ill run the FSB at 1333 instead of 800 (as I said this I pointed out the 1333 Mhz FSB on thelabel), really easy stuff a mild overclock for her, she currently had the M2N SLI Deluxe with some AMD X2 chip in there I forget now :$

To which the guy butts in with his "no, no, no this is 800Mhz FSB only CPU and wont work at 1333 FSB" I try to hold my laugh back and reasure her that Im not a ding bat when it comes to computers, she smiles. I know she knows Im right but this guy is addament that Im wrong. "You need a 1333 FSB CPU"

He litteraly talked her out of the sale until I stamped my foot down said "belive me, ill pay for it it all if it doesnt" of course she accepts.

This guy didnt have a clue, funny thing was my girlfriend had a little word with the boss or what appeared to be the boss and he even told her he was impressed by my knowledge and liked the way I shot his employee down by explaining to him about the stock freqeuncies and how they had no relation to anything that we we're planning to do with her rig..

To sum it up, never rely on the shop keeper.

Another prime example, Gold Chip in Sunderland, I go in wanting a GTX260 and the guy hands me over a GTX280 thats just shy of £400. I mean I spoke swaheeli, thats the standard dialect for Sunderland init!:bang::biggun:

8. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    at a local best buy last fall i overheard a clerk telling some kid and his mom that their way overpriced $250 8600gts would be able to play most games maxed. i couldnt make out what the kid was upgrading from, but i do remember the words "nineteen hundred" and "radeon" being thrown around. i wanted to go over to them and explain that he was making an expensive downgrade. at the time on new egg an 8600gts was about half the price and he could have gotten 8800gt for about $20 more.

9. itsmikey76

itsmikey76 Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor RX5700xt
    Whenever I'm at a Best Buy or a Circuit City I just try too avoid the kids they got in the computer sections, however I have nothing but good things too say about the small computer store called Milwaukee PC they maybe overpriced on a lot of things but the employees do usually know what they are doing.

10. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    agreed. my local shop is good for advice and even small odds n ends like thermal pads etc.. and surprisingly i actually found that comp usa had some decently knowledgeable staff before they shut down here about a year and a half ago. you just had to stay away from the pimple faced kid and go for the 40 year old guy that looks like hes still living in his moms basement. lol

11. dipanzan

dipanzan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX460 OC 1GB
    well my story is different then I guess....

one day I was at a computer shop to buy my TT PSU...n then this guy came up from no where n started complaining about his CPU...I later learned that he bought it exactly 3hrs ago

the problem he mentioned to the clerks was jst miserable...he installed winXP SP2 & there was something in the help & Support Center where u get to know all the hardware installed in ur rig mainly HD,RAM n CPU...his CPU was a E8400 but the dumb tool showed it as a Pentium-3 Extreme@3.00GHz...thus he complained the hell about givin him a new CPU

everyone tried to explain...n I downloaded CPU-Z,Everest & showed him his CPU...but he jst couldn't accepts it...I also braged about his speed being 2.00GHz due to the power saving features...which again he complained about & then I shooted a drive scan using avast which brought it to 3.00GHz

later fighting for almost 1.5hrs rather than buying my PSU...I gave up n he got a new E7200...& the funniest part his father said "THIS CPU IS MORE SOLID,I THINK THE PREVIOUS ONE WAS FAKE" & I replied that tool is a piece of sh1t until updated...& oh look it still shows that p3 Extreme but now it is at @2.66GHz

computer illiterates:funny:

12. heliman41

heliman41 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 260OC -640/1300/1100
    Makes me want to start a PC repair/parts shop, wish I had the cash for the overhead of parts and a shop. Would sure beat what I do now! I loved that statement of working on PCs when you were just a tadpole in dads nutsack! LOL! Priceless statement. I will use that one when I get the first chance I get at work.

13. Stromgold

Stromgold Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060

LOL! Funny, but TRUE :giggle2:

14. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    This reminds me of people i know irl. :bang:

15. Aioras

Aioras Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti ***937;
    I see... there are lots of nerds selling computer hardware everywhere.

I remember a few years ago, I went to a shop close to my house looking for the new Ati 9800Pro, but that idiot wanted me to choose an Nvidia FX5200 instead, because "we don´t sell any Ati videocards because they are too slow... pick up the faster FX5200.... -_-"

So... everything´s possible xddd

16. Beez

Beez Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 GTX 4Gb
    That's weird, i've shopped there for years and never had a problem.

The place i can't stand is PC World, i get angry everytime i go in. Recently i needed some thermal paste for my CPU in a hurry and computer Orbit had sold out, so i popped down to pissy world. I had trouble finding any so i asked the sales assistant....she looked at me for a moment as if i was stupid before saying she had never heard of such a thing and therefore don't sell it.

I found some on the way out but as usual with PC World it was overpriced crap so i left angry and bemused.

17. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    i know the feeling i don't think i'll step in there again xD

18. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    We have the same thing over here in the UK.

We have PC World. Probably one of the most funniest stores in country. The people in there know absolutely nothing about PC hardware. I remember way back when I was in the market for a decent gaming rig for my brother. I knew that I needed an AMD Athlon CPU as they were much better for gaming. The stupid clerk behind the counter tried to fob me off with a Pentium 4 saying that its almost 50% faster than the AMD CPU that I was going to buy (which was an AMD 4000+) I then needed some RAM, and knowing that DDR400 was going to be the one I needed as it was the only RAM my motherboard (MSI nforce4 939) supported. I wanted to buy 2GB, which back then was top of the line and you didn't need any more for gaming. The clerk tried to fob me off again saying that I should only need 1GB!!! I mean WTF!!??? I am spending more money in the store.... Why on earth say that I only need 1GB... plus it was for my brothers gaming rig.

I hate these people they should be properly trained before they are put behind the counter at one of these stores.

19. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE

HAHAHAHAHA! My friend I feel your pain. Your comment made me laugh so much.

20. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    haha, i rarely get PC parts at stores. only thermal paste, or parts i NEED instantly.

usually the people in san francisco are OK.

i remember i got my X1600 pro 512MB for $155... i think that was in 2006.

im thinking of working at one of these stores in a few years to save at least some people from grief of idiots...

oh and by the way, my 9600's dont work when i use them with crossfireX cables, wtf is this?!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009