Identify internet connections

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by Bounty, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Bounty

Bounty Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
    I've had trouble with other PC's in the office taking data from me. I.E it is very slow.

Whilst trying to fix this problem I have noticed that the router info has the connection count from my PC at between 30 & 70 connections. The other PC's have 0 to 8 depending on what they are doing.

So the question is...

Is there any software or apps in windows that will allow me to identify exactly what is using these connections?

Edit:
    I have done all the usual stuff like running Ccleaner anti virus and spyware software. Made no difference...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  2. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    install a firewall(not the crappy windows one), e.g. i use Kerio Personal Firewall( google for the last freeware version ), there are also loads of other free firewalls

It will show all incoming/out going connections, how much is being transferred upstream/downstream, the port number and the process using the connection

3. the_jerboa_king

the_jerboa_king Master Guru

GPU:
    9600GT
    You can most likely use inbuilt tools like netstat to see what's created the connections.

For instance with XP Pro from a command prompt run netstat -ano

This will give a list of all connections your PC is making alongside the PID (process ID), you can then look in Task Manager (you may need to select the PID column to display) and match up the processes with the connection.

4. Bounty

Bounty Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
    Thanks for the replies.

I found the problem, it appears that which ever pc is viewing the routers admistration pages has all the extra unknown connections. When I looked at router pages via another PC my PC only had 2 connections. The one I was viewing from jumped to 70!

Weird...

5. imMute

imMute New Member

GPU:
    Dual GeForce 9800GT