I'd like to flash another GPU's BIOS on mine.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Xhah, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Xhah

Xhah New Member

GPU:
    HD7790
    Hello, this is going to be a long post so kindly bear with me but I'll also leave a TL;DR below:

I currently have this old GT440 "Mac Edition" from Inno3D that runs absolutely fine on my old Optiplex machine with a Core 2 Duo but refuses to run (black screen, no beeps and the system boots just fine) on my "new" Sandy Bridge system with a Xeon E3-1270 (i7-2600). I used to have an RX470 that ran fine with the Xeon but I sold it, due to obvious reasons, and now am stuck with that GT440 for the foreseeable future.

My theory is that the reason GPU runs on my C2D E8400 is because Macs used to have Wolfdale CPUs as well. I think the GPU wasn't designed with Sandy Bridge Macs in mind, hence it refuses to run.

Now, I'd like to install a standard "non-Mac" BIOS on that GPU so it can finally run on my PC but the problem is that I can't seem to find any BIOS that matches the exact BIOS number of my GPU (70.08.29.00.01). I'm thinking about flashing either Zotac or Palit's BIOS which have the exact same BIOS number except the last part where it's .00 as opposed to .01 so their BIOS is supposedly slightly older and hence 'may' be compatible with my GPU.

Do you think I should re-flash the card with Zotac's BIOS or is there something I'm missing?

TL;DR

Trying to re-flash the BIOS of my "Mac Edition" card with a standard GPU's BIOS because it's not working on my new PC and I think re-flashing a standard BIOS would fix the issue.

[​IMG]

2. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx3070 gaming X
    Unless Mac botched the vbios bios to only work with other botched mac edition hardware the only limitation should be pci-e compatibility, I know we live in strange times but £19-35 to replace that card with a pc edition should not be an issue for anyone, if you have the correct flashing tool there should not be an issue but its the Matrix allover again.....red pill......blue pill, either the software will fail/refuse to update the vbios or it wont......the new vbios will boot or it wont, but there is another option.....check if you have an up to date motherboard bios.

Only you can choose your pill.

Xhah likes this.
  3. Xhah

Xhah New Member

GPU:
    HD7790
    You were absolutely right about the PCIe compatibility!
    While I was flashing the BIOS, NV Flash gave an error. Something about PCIe incompatibility but I pressed 'Y' anyway and... well, it bricked the GPU!

Installed my old Pentium G860 CPU in my PC as Xeons don't have an iGPU and now I'm stuck with the 'mighty' Intel HD2000 for the foreseeable future which apparently can't even handle Fallout - New Vegas.

Just dandy...

Anyhow, thanks for the heads-up. Should've listened to your advice!

Mods, feel free to close this thread.