ID-COOLING FROZN A720 the new Noctua NH-D15 for $50-$60 less?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Reclusive781, Feb 6, 2024.

1. Reclusive781

Reclusive781 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT
    So as you know I was looking for a cooler wouldn't take up most of my monthly allowance(Maybe just take up about half) and came across this cool beast:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CNR1YGH5?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

and I saw this video on Youtube:

Hardware Canucks did a video on the A620 and A720 and both did an absolutely fantastic job.

I got it on Sunday, with the 5800X3D I have idle temps are at around 30c and max temps with Cinebench multicore test is around 72c. It never broke 70c in Forza Horizon 5. Actaully at the most it reached 65c briefly. Went anywhere from 40c-60c and no PBO undervolting at all.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2024
    stryfe2010 likes this.
  2. stryfe2010

stryfe2010 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3060 12GB
    I really like ID-Cooling air CPU coolers. I have the ID-COOLING SE-225-XT, it was originally cooling my I7 7700 but I built a new pc on Saturday and now it cooling an I7 11700 set at 125w. It's currently idling at 27c but it's only 40F outside but running Cinebench R23 multi-core it only got to 59c max. I was thinking of upgrading to the A720, how is the ram clearance with the 140mm fan?

3. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE is the best bang for buck budget cooler right now.

Aniboom likes this.
  4. Yeah there are a bunch of coolers that match the NH-D15 for less money.
    Noctua may have been the first to peak air cooling but others have caught up and one is just paying a premium for the NH-D15.

I say this as an owner of one, lol.
    Used to have an AIO but it broke down so thought I'd just replace it with the "best" air cooler and be done with it.

5. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Yeah I have a NH-D15 as well, but now there is no longer a reason to buy it for people who are building new systems. Competition is half the price with same features and performance. And I always had fond memories of Thermalright, it was my first ever proper tower cooler about 2 decades ago :) So not surprised this brand became very good again.

6. Yep and in retrospect I'd rather get something else now, the D15 is just a tower of aluminium fins whereas there are sleek designs with cover plates and such available now from other brands that cool just as well and cost less

7. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I've been using a D15 forever, then I saw this - https://wccftech.com/review/thermal...-aio-cooler-review-thermal-domination-for-60/

That got me really curious to see if such a cheap item can really be okay to use so I ordered one. I'll report back if it explodes/leaks within like 5 mins of using it, haven't installed it yet. Before tax the AM4 edition (just means it has an AM4 mounting kit) D15 is now $140 CAD, and that's from Noctua themselves, not a scalper. It was $100 CAD when I bought mine. I have no idea how Noctua plan on staying in business if this thing turns out to be okay quality/usable long term, and considering the fact that things like the Peerless Assassin exist now.

Anyway, if you're going for air cooling, I highly recommend the Peerless Assassin since it's been reviewed by enough reputable people now that it seems unbeatable at its price. It seems to outperform the D15 slightly, while being almost 1/3rd the price (here anyway) for AM4/5. I doubt its fan quality will come anywhere near Noctua's, but for the price & performance it's hard to complain.