i9 9900k underclock

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by 3G0R, Nov 8, 2019 at 11:15 PM.

Tags:
  1. 3G0R

3G0R New Member

GPU:
    gtx 1080 ti 11gb
    Hi guys,

i want to underclock my cpu, coz of the high temps. Any of you have safe vcore settings for this?
    I was looking for 4.8-4.9 ghz setup.

2. toyo

toyo Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    Undervolt instead, or buy better cooling.

3. 3G0R

3G0R New Member

GPU:
    gtx 1080 ti 11gb
    ive got the Thermaltake water 3.0 360 ARGB Sync.
    I'm currently at 4.8ghz and 1.330vcore, can't pass the small prime95 stress test..
    idle temps are around 30-40° and cant get it lower..
    any ideas?

4. toyo

toyo Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    Is the CPU downclocking or are you using something like High Performance power plan that keeps it constantly at the max turbo, i.e. 4.8 for you? If you want it cooler at idle, you need to make sure it downclocks to 800MHz as Coffee lakes seem to do. Even then you will still be around 30C, which is normal, considering you're still drawing 10-20W at idle and you probably have around 20C ambient temps.

As for the p95 Small FFTs, did you disable AVX/AVX2? Are you using the last version of P95? It should have the option to disable them in the menu. With AVX, these CPUs are insanely demanding and require more voltage. Many people just stick to running inplace FFTs at 1344, I believe, no AVX. My 8700K personal experience is that I had to get it stable with AVX to achieve full ingame stability, or some games like the last two Assassin's Creed games would occasionally crash. If p95 fails, you're simply not stable though, and for the CPU (if the RAM is fully stable) that means increased voltage. How much voltage? Can't say, each CPU is slightly different. It will take a few good hours of running p95. Just leave it open over night, make sure the VRMs are cooled and everything though.

You should also consider using something like Adaptive+Offset as the voltage method, if the mobo has it (it should, maybe different name depending on brand). This would make sure the voltage drops while idle. Also read a Coffee Lake guide so you know what to expect, roughly.

5. 3G0R

3G0R New Member

GPU:
    gtx 1080 ti 11gb
    Gonna try it out tyvm :)