i7 Keep up With 285?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Keith Wing, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keith Wing

Keith Wing Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470
    I have an i7 920@2.9GHz and a BFG GTX285 OC. I play games at 1920x1200 and I am wondering if anyone has any links or opinions on weather or not I should spend the time overclocking my CPU or if you think the my CPU is feeding my GPU without causing it to slow down.

2. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Na no bottlenecking there i don't think.

3. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 + AC Xtreme
    Overclocking i7 to 3.8GHz with good cooler is very easy. It has no problem keeping up with GTX 285 at 2.9ghz, but since its so easy, you definately should oc more (if you do have nice CPU cooler) :)

4. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    lol at stock there's no bottleneck for that single GPU card, but yeh OC anyway

5. Keith Wing

Keith Wing Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470
    Well stability is most important and I don't want it to have errors after running for a few days so I tend to be conservative. I have the Noctua dual fan cooler. Full load I am running about 55C in a 70F room which seems a little warm but not bad.

6. RKOver

RKOver Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ 900MHz
    2.9GHz!? Get the Thermalright (Ultra?) then overclock that CPU to 3.6GHz now! (Or possibly 3.7GHz).

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  7. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 + AC Xtreme
    I'm running pretty similar rig with same cooler, but with 3.8GHz OC. Its all good as long as you keep your load temps in prime95 w/ 8 threads under 82-84 degrees C. :nerd:

PS. 6 months without single crash, ran prime95 +16H stable ;)

8. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    def overclock. i'm at 3.8ghz with a noctua...temps are great...the card is cool and is flying!

finally happy with my rig! now i wish i could play bound in blood..damm steam/ubisoft.

but been playing an old mmo and wheras my 295 it would be pushing 85c and suffer from glitching...now i never see over 70c and in some quests i see 700fps! raids are uber smooth. huge diff.

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    yeah the 295 runs hot my 260 is much cooler

10. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 Ulltra
    I run my i7 920 @ 3.6 cooled by a Noctua NH-U12P (It goes faster but isn't so stable with the amount of ram i have). Didn't touch the voltages at all. Runs 100% stable with very good temps (Doesn't go over 50...). Not sure how it affects my system when i run with only 1 of my GTX 285s but when i'm in SLI i get a veeeeery big boost to the bottom end of my framerate compared to the CPU at standard frequency.

It made a much bigger difference for me to overclock the CPU rather than my video cards.

11. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    You won't see much gain in performance by overclocking your CPU unless you plan to go SLI or play CPU bound games.

12. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Nah even at stock it wont bottleneck, I run mine at stock at the moment and the performance difference between 2.66 and 3.7 is not even noticeable in all but GTAIV.

13. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    people telling u to leave @stock are in my opinion wrong.

i for one didnt buy end stuff to leave it @stock. no flame intended :)

do a re-build if necessary buy a decent cooler get some fast fans x2, decent paste (artic5) and guru's here will help u overclock.

3.8ghz is pretty easy...1600mhz ram helps i think.

14. Subaru Swift

Subaru Swift Master Guru

GPU:
    1060 6gb STRIX OC
    i am running the standard intel cooler & hitting 3.60 Ghz all day & nite if i am awake ;).

untill i fit my WC kit

15. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    No ones saying to run it at stock, I was simply saying it wont bottleneck at stock. Rather than jump the gun with the accusations try reading first.

16. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
  17. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    I dont know about that, I can see a huge difference in all my games with my Q9550 overclocked vs running it at stock speed.

18. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    i can read and by terms of bottlenecking i strongly believe that running a 920 @stock with a high-end gpu you are losing fps.

whether you classify this as "bottlenecking" or not is irrelevant my point was and is you arent getting the best performance from your setup by not overclocking and by implying to people to not to bother is wrong.

i stand to be corrected on this but i have a strong suspicion i am right.

this is, is it not, an enthusiast site no?...and we are here to help people get the max out of their systems so implying to people "oh its ok dont bother overclocking" is in my point of view a major faux pas.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  19. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    It would all depend on the application.

20. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    "I have an i7 920@2.9GHz and a BFG GTX285 OC. I play games at 1920x1200 and I am wondering if anyone has any links or opinions on weather or not I should spend the time overclocking my CPU or if you think the my CPU is feeding my GPU without causing it to slow down"

in this case games :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.