i7 cpus and ddr3 rams.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by death_samurai, Mar 11, 2009.

1. death_samurai

death_samurai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    Okay guys just curious, 32 bit OS only support a max of 4gb of ram.

Yet i notcied that everyone with an i7 cpu has like min 6gbs of ddr3 ram.

U mean with an i7 cpu a 32 bit OS can support more than 4gb of ram????

Actually can a 32bit OS run an i7 cpu?

2. Crisis66

Crisis66 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970
    An i7 will most definitely run on a 32bit OS. You also don't need 6gb of RAM. It's nice to have, but you can always just get a 3gb triple channel kit and be happy. However 64bit OS is the future and more people are on the 64bit now with i7 because of that 6gb triple channel RAM. So you should try to look into a 64bit OS. If not, just go with 3gb of RAM. :)

3. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream

thanks.

SO most ppl with the 6gb of ram should be on 64 bit os. After all it's a waste if it's on 32bit

Then again microshyt is so expensive especially their OS. I believe they still sell xp and they already have win 7 coming out soon and xp is still pretty expensive.

A 64 bit os would be even worse and i have 2 OS on my system.

This sucks man.

4. Tequila

Tequila Guest

GPU:
    2xRTX3090 (nvLink)
    PCI Memory Remapping - if you have a good enough motherboard it will allow you to use 4GB ram in a 32bit O/S. However, it's better to just use 64bit.. save on some monies.

5. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    If you already have Vista, your license already covers 64-bit version of Windows.

As for 32-bit on i7, sure it can run it great, but you'll lose out on the full 4 GB of RAM due to how memory mapping works. Even if you can see 4 GB of RAM, your system may still not be able to address it all, especially if you have a large graphics card VRAM.

Best to switch to x64 now.

deltatux

6. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    only if he has a retail copy, OEM won't let you change

7. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    False, you can still do it ^.^, just reinstall Vista using a SP1 disc or RTM disc. I bought a 32-bit OEM license (the store was trying to rip me off, the 64bit version was $10-15 more than the 32bit) for my aunt and then I took my Vista64 disc and just popped it in her machine and install Vista x64.

The OEM license only restricts you from transferring licenses between machines but doesn't restrict you from loading a 64-bit version. That and the fact that the OEM license doesn't come with support from Microsoft. WPA will still activate your license.

deltatux

8. zomb69

zomb69 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC/3Dsyncmaster
    slightly off subject here but does my mobo suuport 64bit? i know the rest does , just not sure bout mobo. i wanna get 64bit windows 7 when its out

9. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    It should support 64-bit. Most (if not all) motherboards 2007 and after are all 64-bit capable.

deltatux

10. zomb69

zomb69 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC/3Dsyncmaster
    thanks , i thought so but needed to be sure

edit: my os is soooo old, i skipped vista so i cant wait for windows 7 and with this mobo supporting upto 12gb, 64bit is a musthave

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009

11. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    he still wouldn't be able to install x64 if he has a 32-bit OEM disc will he?

12. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream

Yes i have an oem license. I have a normal vista 32bit disc that a kind soul sent to me cos i did not want to install oem crap unto my vista.

so all i need is a 64 bit disc vista disc?

So i cannot just simply upgrade?

13. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    Well if sum1 sent u a retail disc, if I'm not mistaken u should be able to install 32/64 bit vista, I believe only OEM versions are restricted to 1 type, I have OEM 64 bit and my disk only had the 64 bit version. I could be mistaken tho

14. GregM

GregM Member Guru

GPU:
    ES BBA HD4870 512mb
    First off, a few things to know. OEM Windows is tied to the motherboard's bios ID string, BUT is completely not a restriction when activating because you only have to answer that you suffered a major hardware failure and replaced the dead part. The OEM license will then transfer to the new hardware ID.

Using retail or OEM, all you need is the 64bit disk and it will allow you to use your 32bit key. I've now done this (for other people, I went 64bit from the get go) more times then I have fingers to count :p

15. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Just torrent the disc image. It isn't illegal since you own the license. Microsoft only cares about the license, not the media.

The retail disc does NOT include a 32-bit and 64-bit installation mode. Only Windows Server 2008 disc does.

deltatux

16. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    Oh kool, learn sumthin new everyday