1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i7 8700 CPU temps in AC:Odyssey peak at 90°C

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by flexinho, Jan 4, 2019.

1. flexinho

flexinho Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 2060 S 8GB
    I really want to find out why the hell only AC:Origins and AC:Odyssey let my CPU get this hot. Even a Prime95 stress test doesn't let my CPU get this hot. Only those two AC games.

I started to look at the temps after i began hearing the CPU fan going to 100% which is pretty loud. The CPU is at around 90° for 2-3 seconds and after the cooler goes all out the CPU stays at around 65-75°C. This 90° spikes happen in regular intervals. For instance when it is night and i take out the torch or when the depth of field effect kicks in, or sometimes when i use the eagle as a drone.

What are your experiences with those two games regarding CPU usage and temps?

You can see my specs in my information.

The ingame settings are at the High preset, the game is locked to 50fps and G-Sync is activated.

2. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 TRIO
    flexinho likes this.
  3. Passus

Passus Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    both games run my 4790k at mostly 95 percent in towns and cities

temps wise its about 65c at 4.6ghz

funny us gamers arnt we,, we used to bemoan cpu under utilisation now its like noo dont use all that

but in all seriousness both these games are unoptimized in the cpu department

flexinho likes this.
  4. flexinho

flexinho Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 2060 S 8GB
    The problem isn't the usage because if my CPU is heavy used in other tasks or games it does't get so hot that i hear the cooler. Just in those two games under some circumstances. It seems so strange to me .

I know that much in those two games is happening in the background (AI simulation for instance) and it is great that it uses all cores in CPU's so well (even with just DX11) but there is something that drives my CPU crazy in those games. The only conclusion that i can take is that the heavy DRM of those games is responsible. Uplay, Denuvo and VMprotect seem to be the problem, because i have no other answer. When my CPU is under heavier load it doesn't get that hot. I would understand if the CPU gets hot in instances where are long view distances or many NPC's but in those instances the CPU runs at normal temparatures. This is just so strange to me... o_O

Passus likes this.

5. Passus

Passus Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    A "friend" who has the pirated version also gets the same cpu issues

he has the same system as mine *wink*

6. flexinho

flexinho Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 2060 S 8GB
    I own the legit Uplay version (without Steam). Pirated or not changes nothing here because Denuvo is still in the pirated version. We can just test it if ubisoft removes Denuvo and VMprotect but this will never happen because then everybody will now that this destroyed performance for them. They always say that this 500 DRM layers doesn't impact performance but there are some videos that show games which removed Denuvo have a lot better loading times and performance. This will matter even more in a CPU heavy game like AC when even little games profit from the removal of this shitty DRM. It is impossible to believe for me that 5 layers of DRM doesn't impact CPU performance at all.

I remember when AC:Odyssey was released my CPU even got really hot when i just clicked the .exe (the moment when Denuvo checks if the game is legit). This stopped happening after one of the last patches. It is normal practice from Denuvo to make their DRM a little bit weaker after a period of time after a game release. They just want to save the first weeks after release.

Other publishers like Bethesda often remove Denuvo after their game got cracked or the after the last DLC is out, but not so Ubisoft.

I can't beleive that this game is just so graphically intensive or that so much needs to be imulated that an i7 8700 needs to get this hot at 50 (or even 40) fps.

Passus likes this.
  7. Passus

Passus Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Agreed mate

flexinho likes this.
  8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Sounds like avx temp spikes.. test monster hunter world benchmark, nv sponsored real hair cryengine based if it has the same temp spikes, if yes it's definitely that then.

That said Configure it more in bios, lower offset, etc..

flexinho likes this.
  9. flexinho

flexinho Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 2060 S 8GB
    What is AVX and how can i know that it is used heavily in AC:Odyssey? I know that they patched in AVX support or something like that because the game didn't run on CPU's without AVX before. Could be wrong in this regard...

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    They are simid instructions, like sse3, sse4, sse4.1..

Try that benchmark I mentioned earlier. Idk about the game not be able to run before.i dont have it.

But I know newer cpus have special avx offset voltage. My Haswell doesn't and is tied to normal cpuv which auto raises 0.10v if it detects avx apps >>> 1.25 to 1.35v.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019