1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i7 7700K Delid

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by rap1021, May 17, 2018.

1. rap1021

rap1021 Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 650 ti boost
    Hello all,

I recently delid my i7 7700K, and replace the stock paste with Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut.
    There's a massive difference in temps, form 90 C to 65 C under full load via Prime 95, and in game temps barely touches 60 C.
    Although there's a huge difference in temps under load, there is no difference in temps at Idle.
    At idle it was average 45 C before and its 45 C after delidding.
    So did I do anything wrong in the delid process..???
    My room temperature is 33 C
    I use corsair H100i V2 Cooler.
    Everything is at stock, NO OVERCLOCK.

2. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1080FTW
    Hi, i recently had my 7700k delided by by an ebay seller using Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut and my idle temps dropped from 35c to 28c, its the full load temps that make te difference though.....57c instead of 85c and no random spikes during idle so no hissy fit from my Corsair h110i gt.

rap1021 likes this.
  3. rap1021

rap1021 Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 650 ti boost
    whats your ambient temperature..???

4. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW3 1080Ti
    45 at stock speeds? seems a little high for a delid, my 6700k @4.6 idles at 17-22oc

rap1021 likes this.

5. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390
    I would say considering room temperature is 33C, 45C idle is not far fetched. Maybe it can go down to 40C. Do you have a custom curve? Try to maximize the fan speed (wear ear protection for those stock Corsair fans :p) and see if the temp goes down. Also where is the cooler located and in which direction is the airflow going? Front/Air in, Top/Air out or Top/Air in?

rap1021 likes this.
  6. rap1021

rap1021 Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 650 ti boost
    whats your room temperature..???

7. rap1021

rap1021 Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 650 ti boost
    I am not sure about the room temperature, as its 42 C outside so I took a wild guess, so it maybe more than 33 C.The liquid temp shows 37 C in corsair link.
    I did turn up the fans and the pump to max and it was idling at 39 C.(All 4 cores)
    Radiator is located at the top pushing the hot air out, also I have a big case Cooler Master Stryker, so lot of space to move air, I have 2 120 mm intake fans at the front and 1 140 mm exhaust fan at the back.

8. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390
    Forgot about the liquid temp. Since it's at 37C, the CPU temp cannot be lower than that. Maybe the only way to decrease the temp to 40C without having jet-engine noise constantly :p, is to put the fans as intake to push fresh air in although I doubt it's worth the hassle and might not make a difference at all. I'd say since it's pretty hot, 45C idle is normal. And I think that' what I idle with the same cooler (different fans and CPU) when summer comes.

rap1021 likes this.
  9. rap1021

rap1021 Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 650 ti boost
    About a month ago or so it used to idle at 36 C without delid, because then it wasn't that hot outside.
    The temperature will rise and summer will be at its peak for the next 2-3 months so I guess Idle temps may rise further more.
    Which fans are the best for this cooler and what you use.

10. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390
    I use Noctua NF-F12 PWM Chromax.

11. rap1021

rap1021 Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 650 ti boost
    Are they better than Corsair fans, because they have lower rpm than corsair sp120.

12. slimmy427

slimmy427 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming
    Have you disabled your power saving settings in bios? 45c does seem high for stock idle. What is the cooler temp at...your cpu temp should be with in a few degrees off that and room temp.

I would check to see if your cores are downclocking or not and what you vcore is during idle.

rap1021 likes this.
  13. rap1021

rap1021 Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 650 ti boost
    Cooler temp is at 37 C when Cpu is at 43-44. Sometimes 45.
    I have not disabled any power saving in bios. Vcore is 1.1xx at idle.

14. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 1070 AMP!
    It's his ambient temp, if it dropped to around 22c - 24c it would make a huge difference.

15. rap1021

rap1021 Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 650 ti boost
    Actually when Slimmy427 said the " cores are downclocking or not" it gave me an idea.
    I went into power options, and saw it was set to high performance, so the cpu was all the time at 4500 mhz and v core at 1.26.
    I switched to balance mode and now the cpu is about 900 mhz and Vcore is at 0.6v at idle.
    Cpu temp is 41 C while the liquid temp is 37.2 C.
    So this basically solved my problem.
    Thank you everyone for their help.
    Really appreciate it.

airbud7 and slimmy427 like this.

16. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    I have to go to 1.4v to get 4500Mhz and its not fully stable. Idle temps shouldn't be 45c ,,,,, that is way high. I advise open your side door as a test and see the temps drop.

17. Kolt

Kolt Maha Guru

GPU:
    STRIX 1070 oc
    I am considering delidding my 8700k, but it's not necessarily for the typical load temps as much as it is for the high spikes I sometimes get. For example in most heavy use and even stress testing (non AVX /not Prime95) I sit around 80-85c full load, however while in games (Bf1 for example) I have seen spikes up to 90c at times, although it doesn't sit there and seems to be only a spike that seems to occur between maps (loading.. does BF1 use AVX during map loading?) and is very quick before it goes back down. Running Prime95 gets close to that but still doesn't get past 90, however real world gaming never sits there and is usually closer to 80c than anything else. I'm currently using AVX - 2 to help with the heat a bit.

That being said, what are your thoughts on that? Would it be worth delidding just to stop worrying about those peak temps which are still well below TJmax? I've been lazy and haven't been wanting to delidd just because of the work involved with taking my heatsink out and redoing everything (BIG heatsink and was a pain to get installed). I don't really care to push my OC any further as I'm not a benchmark hog and am quite content with the real world performance I'm getting at the moment. I'm just aiming for stability and to not have to worry about temps in the future. I have my 8700k currently at 4.8ghz at 1.26v and don't want to push anymore voltages with these temps. I have a Noctua D15 and at this point I feel like the only option I would have is to delidd if those spikes are indeed a problem. .

Thoughts? Should I even bother delidding just for stability/temps or am I just being too cautious? :p

EDIT: I have a theory that it is indeed the bad paste in the IHS and that the heat is taking too long to spread onto the heatsink, especially since this seems to happen at times when the CPU first starts to cool and the fans lower (round ends and right before load) and then jumps real quick as soon as loading begins again, so the CPU spikes but quickly starts to cool down to a more controlled temp after the fans kick back up and get everything cooled. This explains at least to me why I am only getting spikes like this and even a controlled non-AVX stress test (CPU-z stress for example) isn't pushing my CPU to 90c. I am adjusting my fan cycles to be more aggressive to see if that helps, but I can't help but feel like this is just all due to terrible Intel TIM use in the IHS...

I considered it being the ambient temps since my GPU and RAM will got a lot hotter when gaming, but my GPU never gets past 70c and I can' t imagine the RAM getting too hot since I don't really OC it except for using the XMP profile and I've kept the dram voltages low.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  18. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    Hey kolt as long as it doesn't reach 90's then computer will most probably shut down. 70's and low 80's c ... is fine. Try opening your side case door, I guarantee the temps will drop big time. JFYI

19. Kolt

Kolt Maha Guru

GPU:
    STRIX 1070 oc
    The computer won't shut down at 90.. that's still within the operating limit (TJmax is 100). I've messed with the case on/off before and that isn't it. It's not likely an ambient issue. I think, like I said earlier, that it may be an IHS thermal issue due to the bad compound Intel used which is why delidding is such a big deal. My question was really in regards to if a momentary spike to 90c is a big enough deal to the other gurus that I should look into delidding, or if the rare moments it hits 90 (and not past 90) isn't really too much of a concern. I am fully aware that as long as it is within the safe operating limits (which is 100c) that I am theoretically OK and that nothing will shut down and that since it is so rare and only momentarily there is no real harm being done, however I was kind of leaning on delidding anyways as to avoid potential issues down the road (like if my AC breaks or something) or to go ahead and just do it since it isn't that hard to do. It's more a question of should I bother, and less a cry for help as I've already exhausted other means of lowering temps. I'm not really in any danger and don't care to push my OC too much more.

20. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    Ok sorry TJmax is 100c. This means you can go to 99c and things will still work however at 100c the comp will shutdown. You want temps in the 70's and low 80's. If you can keep those temps then the life of the CPU wont be degraded. Also don't worry about idle temps too much, its the load it puts on it when gaming or other intensive tasks and what not. No reason to delidd. Whats your voltage and overclock ? You shouldn't be getting 90c on stock voltage and no OC and what not.