i7 6700 non-K Overclocking

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by FookDat, Apr 16, 2018.

1. FookDat

FookDat Master Guru

GPU:
    RX480->580 MOD 1366
    In trying to get more out of my system with out breaking the bank.
    I did some research on overclocking the non-K processors as some motherboard manufacturers had the ability like back in the good ol days of BCLK tweaking. But was not as easy as it is now!

I found the ASRock Z170 Extreme6 offered the ability with my current hardware. But lots of posts on the Internet were saying they were removing or had removed that option. Also prevented the ability to revert back...

Since I found the board for 95$ on amazon the other day it was hard to say no to... with fingers crossed.

Low and behold I put the new motherboard in and see the BCLK options were available. Set my clock to 133 mhz and cpu power to 1.35v, set my ram from 2133 to 2660. It booted right up.

Have not had any crashes or anything. Temps are only 5c higher than they were before.

Anyone looking to get a little more bang for your current buck it may be good investment. But it could be hit or miss on the bios that comes on the boards. I think it is more of a scare tactic so people keep buying new tech...

Mufflore likes this.
  2. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080FTWdt
    Interesting. Do it work with new bios as well or do you have to keep it on release bios?

3. FookDat

FookDat Master Guru

GPU:
    RX480->580 MOD 1366
    Currently I am using Bios Version: P7.20 which is what came on the board. Looks like latest Bios is 7.40.

I am not having any issues and not going to update the bios to the latest version as I have no idea what it will "really" do and there is no need to do so at this time.

Current specs are 4.522 GHz 1.35v, 133 bus, memory auto set at 2660 18-18-18-43. Not the best timings and I can probably tweak them. It is running so good and the voltage is only raising the overall temps on load by 5c.

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti @2GHz silent
    I had that same motherboard but the + version (has a USB 3.1 front bay add on, otherwise the same).
    It was a really nice board except my Corsair LPX 3000 ram wouldnt run any higher than 2500MHz rock stable or 2800MHz game stable.
    Changed to a ROG board and it now runs at 3733MHz !

You have a good CPU overclocking board there but choose your ram for it wisely if you decide on a change.
    It got my 6700K to 4.6GHz.
    Since then I found the Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS) isnt flat where it meets the CPU core.
    When refitted with new paste, for the first week it runs at 4.7GHz, but then temps on some cores start to rise so I have to drop the speed down.
    So I'm getting that new NCore V1 CPU waterblock which contacts the die directly (no need for the IHS), to fix this and go for even higher speed. Wooo.

Well done getting your none K CPU clocked :)

5. FookDat

FookDat Master Guru

GPU:
    RX480->580 MOD 1366
    I am currently only using some generic 2133 that came in a dell xps 8900 computer. I was looking to doing crossfire so I also wanted a board that did 8x8x, that is why I also went with the Extreme6 mobo.

I am using the CoolIT Vantage ALC w/ LCD display. You can not get it anymore and have had it ever since socket 775 days!
    The back plate did not fit the holes in the new mobo so I had to use drill bits and slowly use bigger drill bit sizes to get the holes large enough for the backplate/socket plate combo to fit. but it all went well and patience is a virtue.

I am going to see if it stays stable and let my thermalpaste settle in a few days before I try pushing it further. 4.522 is not a bad start, hopefully I can reach your speeds maybe even with some different memory. Usually only go with the highest dual channel 2x8gb kits I can find on the compatibility chart they provide.