1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i7 6700 non-K Overclocking Success

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by FookDat, Apr 16, 2018.

1. FookDat

FookDat Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580 KrakenG12+H75
    In trying to get more out of my system with out breaking the bank.
    I did some research on overclocking the non-K processors as some motherboard manufacturers had the ability like back in the good ol days of BCLK tweaking. But was not as easy as it is now!

I found the ASRock Z170 Extreme6 offered the ability with my current hardware. But lots of posts on the Internet were saying they were removing or had removed that option. Also prevented the ability to revert back...

Since I found the board for 95$ on amazon the other day it was hard to say no to... with fingers crossed.

Low and behold I put the new motherboard in and see the BCLK options were available. Set my clock to 133 mhz and cpu power to 1.35v, set my ram from 2133 to 2660. It booted right up.

Have not had any crashes or anything. Temps are only 5c higher than they were before.

Anyone looking to get a little more bang for your current buck it may be good investment. But it could be hit or miss on the bios that comes on the boards. I think it is more of a scare tactic so people keep buying new tech...

Mufflore likes this.
  2. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080FTWdt
    Interesting. Do it work with new bios as well or do you have to keep it on release bios?

3. FookDat

FookDat Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580 KrakenG12+H75
    Currently I am using Bios Version: P7.20 which is what came on the board. Looks like latest Bios is 7.40.

I am not having any issues and not going to update the bios to the latest version as I have no idea what it will "really" do and there is no need to do so at this time.

Current specs are 4.522 GHz 1.35v, 133 bus, memory auto set at 2660 18-18-18-43. Not the best timings and I can probably tweak them. It is running so good and the voltage is only raising the overall temps on load by 5c.

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    I had that same motherboard but the + version (has a USB 3.1 front bay add on, otherwise the same).
    It was a really nice board except my Corsair LPX 3000 ram wouldnt run any higher than 2500MHz rock stable or 2800MHz game stable.
    Changed to a ROG board and it now runs at 3733MHz !

You have a good CPU overclocking board there but choose your ram for it wisely if you decide on a change.
    It got my 6700K to 4.6GHz.
    Since then I found the Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS) isnt flat where it meets the CPU core.
    When refitted with new paste, for the first week it runs at 4.7GHz, but then temps on some cores start to rise so I have to drop the speed down.
    So I'm getting that new NCore V1 CPU waterblock which contacts the die directly (no need for the IHS), to fix this and go for even higher speed. Wooo.

Well done getting your none K CPU clocked :)

5. FookDat

FookDat Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580 KrakenG12+H75
    Currently only using some generic 2133 that came in a dell xps 8900 computer. Was looking to doing crossfire so also wanted a board that did 8x8x, that is why I also went with the Extreme6 mobo.

Using the CoolIT Vantage ALC w/ LCD display. You can not get it anymore and have had it ever since socket 775 days!
    The back plate did not fit the holes in the new mobo so had to use drill bits and slowly use bigger drill bit sizes to get the holes large enough for the backplate/socket plate combo to fit. but it all went well and patience is a virtue.

Going to see if it stays stable and let my thermalpaste settle in a few days before try pushing it further. 4.522 is not a bad start, hopefully reach your speeds maybe even with some different memory. Usually only go with the highest dual channel 2x8gb kits I can find on the compatibility chart they provide.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  6. FookDat

FookDat Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580 KrakenG12+H75
    UPDATE:

I upgrade my bios to ASRock 7.40 and I lost ability to overclock my non-k cpu.
    Tried to revert back to other bios and beta bios did not work from ASRock.
    It updated the Intel MEI bios chip which I guess disables that function for non-k.

I was able to fix it by installing the Unlocked bios L1.82.
    When I installed that bios, it said my Network LAN MAC address was a mismatch.
    I did some research and you have to download the MAC tool from asrock.
    Its easy:
    How to Write MAC Address of Your Motherboard
    Please open the chassis and you can find a white sticker at the edge of board with 12-digit MAC ID. (this is your motherboard MAC id NOT YOUR LAN MAC ADDRESS!!!!!!)
    Then extract the tool to a MS-DOS bootable USB flash drive and boot to the stick, key in as follow:
    C:\>mac c [mac ID] <enter>
    If it runs successfully, it will go back to driver letter with MAC information without error like below:
    MAC: XXXXXXXXXXXX SUM: XX
    C:\>

*For early models, please flash the MAC address with MAC Address Writer V1.17F. (**I HAD TO USE 2.16B FOR MY XFX RX480 WHICH i FLASHED TO A RX580)
    **For models with dual LAN please enter both MAC addresses, with a space in between: C:\>mac c [mac ID1] [mac ID2]

After doing that I can boot and have had no issues.
    It did get an increase in overclock but just happy its running like it was again.

i7 6700 4.52GHz @ 1.35v 133MHz w/Custom Built Loop and Custom Res w/ CoolIT Vantage ALC LCD Screen Displays Coolant Temp
    (Coolant temp idle 26c and load is 31c)
    (CPU Temp idle 31c, load 54-74c only hits 74c for about 4 seconds under a quick loading of a game or new map)
    (CPUz stress test takes cpu to 72c after running for 20 minutes)
    Kingston DDR4 2133 @ 2660 15-16-16-36 2T 1.20v w/LTC LED Heat Sinks
    ASRock Z170 Extreme6 BIOS L1.82
    XFX RX480 > RX580 MOD @ 1366/2000 (-18mV, +50 power limit) w/Kraken G12 + Corsair H75 (idle 23c, load 41c) > before water cooling temps would hit 80c under load.
    (Had to under volt card to stop the throttling under load causing Direct X error crash in Battlefield 1)
    2xSamsung 850 Pro RAID 0 1GB read/write
    Corsair AX860 Platinum PSU
    3x140mm fans
    7x120mm fans

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    My 2c, install latest BIOS with last microcode that allows overclocking for 6700.

8. FookDat

FookDat Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580 KrakenG12+H75
    7.40 is the latest bios and it disabled my overclocking... cleared cmos, pulled battery multiple times, IF I even raised it 1mhz it would not even post.

7.20 used to let me but wont anymore, 7.21 beta did not either.

Only going to L1.82 would allow me to Overclock my 6700. It even lets me change my multiplier and all. The other bios did not let me do that.

airbud7 likes this.
  9. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 ARMOR 4G OC
    This is a cool thread!...non K model processors are selling for cheap...most come from prebuilt HP/Dell stuff....

plus the nostalgia of doing it the old way.