1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i7 4790k Very High Temps idle and load

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by sybnios, Jul 19, 2015.

1. sybnios

sybnios Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB G
    Unfortunately I don't have the intel cooler! That would be a good test to see if there will be any difference.

I did optimized the defaults to tell you the truth in bios but didn't see any difference in temps. The only thing that dropped my temps was switching to balanced plan and enabling c-states. And that is for idle temps my load temps are still reaching 82-84c

2. sybnios

sybnios Member

GPU:
    I have read that if I turn off the Multicore enhancment setting it will affect performance and will improve idle temps only. Is that true? My main concern is the full load temps reaching 82 even 86c! My idle has dropped down to 36-40 with the balanced power plan and c-states.

3. sybnios

sybnios Member

GPU:
    These are the temps I had and for some unexplained reason lost. :( Thing is at the moment I don't have the money to buy a liquid cooler otherwise I would be researching to see if the problem is the hyper evo 212

4. sybnios

sybnios Member

GPU:
    I'm trying to see if there is anything I can do without buying something new cause I can't afford it right now and the weird part is that before I move out from the US I had lower temps without changing anything! I am thinking of buying another thermal paste and try installing it for the 5th time!!

5. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Multicore enhancement makes all cores run at 4.4GHz at load, so no, it's not just about idle temps. It can cause severe temperature increases because by default, the adaptive voltage likes to kick up to 1.2-1.3V on average depending on the chip to ensure stability. I highly doubt you'd notice a performance difference outside of synthetic benchmarks by turning it off.

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    1.27v is high for 4ghz

You need to set adaptive voltage and use a negative offset. Say, -.005 and check your load voltage.. i would say you need around 1.15~ maybe less for that clock speed.

Other voltages that can increase cpu temps are CPU cache voltage and system agent voltage.

System agent should be no higher than .9 and cpu cache 1.1~ or less for your clock speeds

Does the heatsink get warm at all when its 80c?

7. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X
    This is almost identical to what I am getting....but my cooler is the H50 and I run my fan at 1,000 rpm....no profiles. The H50 in tests I have read that temps are close to the 212.

8. Valken

Valken Maha Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Your heatsink is not making enough contact. I had this problem too. There is a way to test with an open case.

Lay our PC case flat with the lid off. MB should be flat, not vertical.
    Make sure your heatsink is on and fairly even. Tighten it slightly
    Run a windowed program that is cpu based.
    Run cpu temp monitor with all cores seperately

Now tighten down the heatsink in an X pattern. I use a screw driver with short clock wise twists while watching the temps. You will notice the temp may go down or some cores are still hotter than others. Switch to the other 4 corners of the cpu heatsink bolts and tighten or loosen slightly until all 4 cores are fairly even.

There is usually 1 core that is hotter than the other 3 for some reason. This slight, around 3-5 C at most.

This method works best for heatsinks with bolts.

9. sybnios

sybnios Member

GPU:
    Thanks a lot for the explanation. Sorry for the delay of my response I had some health issues couldn't find what and in the end it was from stress.. Anyway you were right about the multicore enhancement for the moment I haven't seen some real difference in performance but my temps dropped to 70-72 when full load!! My idle temps are 34-36c :)

Thanks to everyone who jumped in and helped me with their knowledge. Just for the history my temps are much better since I:

a)Changed the power plan in windows to balanced

b) Enabled C-states

c)Disabled Multicore Enhancement

d)Enabled Dynamic storage accelerator in bios

e) Enable Intel Rapid storage driver through windows

10. sybnios

sybnios Member

GPU:
    Although my temps as I wrote in my previous reply dropped back to what they were before I am willing to try anything else just in case I get even better temps.

11. sybnios

sybnios Member

GPU:
    I would do that when the PC is turned off right? Is it safe to screw bolts when PC is powered on? Besides that I can't screw the 2/4 bolts because the cpu fan is blocking them. I have to remove it first.