1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i7 2600k multiplier stuck?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by diamond-optic, May 15, 2013.

1. diamond-optic

diamond-optic Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW+
    I have been running my i7 2600k (on an asus p8z77-v pro) at 45x for quite a while, and today I decided to try increasing it a bit.

So I first started with just 46x, boot into windows and it still is running at 45. I check the bios again, definitely says 46, reboot to windows again and its still telling me 45. A bit confused by it so I set it down to 42 and boot into windows, 45 still in windows.. wth lol?

reset bios to stock and boot into windows, 45x still... Really confused, as it would be one thing if it wouldnt increase, but it seems even more strange that the multi wont decrease either.

Whats going on here thats causing my multiplier to be stuck at 45 in windows no matter what I set it to in the bios. I dont have any cpu overclocking software that could be taking over once windows boots up. I have the asus AI Suite installed but not the overclock part of it, just the fan xpert2, wi-fi engine, and usb3 boost. Plus i never had this trouble 6+ months ago when i last was messing with my OC

any ideas?

*edit*

ok now after resetting the bios a number of times, its acting even more strange.. with the bios at default/stock, when i run IBT or prime95 my clock jumps all around between like 3610mhz & 4523.5mhz

doesnt make much sense that its even going higher then the 4500 it was stuck at before... especially when the stock clocks are 3400 (3800 turbo)

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  2. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 STRIX OC
    I had a similar issue and was about to rma the board but before doing that i upgraded my ram from a gskill 8gb kit to corsair vengeance 16gb the issue was gone and my pc and bios settings where behaving normally,for some reason the ram although not faulty was making my board act weirdly. Now on your situation maybe the bios got corrupt for some reason i would try updating to the latest bios if you haven't already,if you have use the flashback feature to flash to a previous bios from the latest one,once flashed choose optimized defaults from bios save and exit.

3. diamond-optic

diamond-optic Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW+
    well i think its all working fine now... after resetting the bios (via the jumper) about a dozen times windows finally showed the stock multi, but then it would stay at the stock multi when i tried to increase it again lol. After a couple more resets it seems to be acting normal now and im back at 45x and I think I'll just stay at 45x now lol...

not going to bother pushing it higher at the moment, after this nonsense i dont want to even bother anymore right now lol, and besides my heatsink needs to be lapped so why bother pushing a higher OC i guess lol (was amazed that the surface of the heatsink wasnt flat and smooth at all, had like these visible and rough semi-circle 'brush strokes' or something on it, seems like it only went part way through whatever process they would to do smooth it out as pictures from reviews of the heatsink show it looking totally different then mine does lol) ..I was too lazy to bother with it when i got it and decided to wait till summer when the stock cooler will be good enough when i have the AC going in the room.

anyway glad to have resolved this :) thanks!