i5 3570K OC Adventure

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Matt26LFC, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Yeah it was friggin hot that day!! Was quite warm for a couple days after too, so really couldn't be bothered to do much lol

Good idea about testing at stock, didn't think of that, not sure why not, stock settings isn't really where Custom WC shows its muscle is it.

I'm going to be having a play again this weekend, will drain the loop this time and open the block again. Also want to adjust one of my tubes which requires me to drain it so might aswell do it all at once.

Don't think I'll end up de-lidding if I still can't improve temps, can't risk destroying it :( think I'll just buy another and sell this one, can't see me making much of a loss on it.

2. bioCor3

bioCor3 Guest

GPU:
    Windforce 670GTX
    I dropped the pll by 0.2v to 1.6v and set the llc to medium and much more stable. 3570K and 3770K shouldn't be that much different. Found it didn't clock as high with 1.8 pll and llc at extreme. I use offset voltage once Vcore is found as I prefer not to run a high Vcore 24/7.

Getting around 35000 in 3DMark06 without clocking the graphics card.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Have you tried 44x103 yet? The person I know claims that it gives the performance overall the same as a bit over 4.6Ghz (whilst running at 4.53), so is a good way to eek that last bit of performance out without stuffing up temperatures. The figure of bclk of 103 is only because it should be within the realms of being doable. Much higher than that and you may run into issues. Apparently on some computers the bclk is actually a little under 100 anyway.

I'll eventually try it once I make my new build in around 2 weeks or so, so will let you know how it turns out. It's good to read these threads though, at least I know around what voltage I should expect to work at 4.5 etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2012
  4. bioCor3

bioCor3 Guest

GPU:
    Windforce 670GTX
    I remounted my cooler two more times to get the thermal paste right (really thin layer and proper coverage). I'm considering taking the headspreader off and reapplying decent thermal paste as I heard some guys got good temperature drops too (and an extra 100MHz OC). I'm already at the voltage ceiling though for air. If I tried to run 1.4v or 4.9GHz it may not be too smart on air. But I'm considering the heatspreader refitting and maybe a bit of a lapping just to shave some temperature off as it gets really hot in Australia in December-Febuary (though temps are very good with this Noctua NH-D14 cooler.

I left blck at 100 as my PCI-E bus don't like much more. It took me a while to figure out the ASUS BIOS settings because they are a bit finicky over certain settings. These Corsair PSU are bloody great though for rock solid with no droop (maybe the mobos too).

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Yes the bClk can be very tricky to change, which is why only 103 was suggested. Apparently many boards etc don't like anything except 100, so I guess it's luck thing. Since the supposed benefit of 44x103 is very small over 45x100 it's a moot point.

Let us know what voltage and multiplier you end up with after the IHS removal and TIM reapplication. I intend to do this very thing myself (but reattach the IHS 'properly'). Don't try and run the CPU without the IHS, it concentrates the heat on only part of the heatsink and heatpipes and you end up worse off (and it's also 'more dangerous'). I guess you already know that, I was reiterating that for the sake of others that may read this and were unaware of the issues of IHS removal.

The main thing I'm interested in is what the final voltage you will settle at, if you can run say, 46x100. It would be a good starting point for me when I upgrade in a couple of weeks :).

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I wouldnt do it. I lose my h/d at 103. Too much is junk is tied too it.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  7. bioCor3

bioCor3 Guest

GPU:
    Windforce 670GTX
    I tried clocking the 3770K to 4.3 to see the comparison and it gets about 30,000 3DMark06 points with Gigabyte Windforce 670GTX at stocks (has a mild factory overclock 980/6008). So I'm guessing that's about an extra 1000 3DMark06 points per 100MHz overclock.

Testing in games it's probably losing about at max 10 FPS which is more noticeable for minimum frame rates than at 4.8 with an extra 500MHz overclock, but runs 60C which is a good 30C lower than max temperature of 90C if loaded to 100% at 4.8 for prolonged periods with latest Prime95. Lapping the heat spreader could possibly shave off 10C at best, though I'd have to test this as I read refitting the heat spreader with top quality thermal paste had dropped temps by 10C for some users.

The old Q series Quads would come down 10C in temps if lapped just to the copper layer (though you go easy once you get down there). I'm not sure how much the refitting of the heat spreader combined with lapping on the new i7 will drop temps.
    These 3770K will hit 4.8 easy just below 1.4V with a good cooler but you may want to lap it at least if you want to run around 4.6GHz or more 24/7 and not have it baking at above 70C for long periods. Though it seems pretty rock solid running even at up to 90C, after only a couple weeks I can't say if it will last a long time. There are rumors of chips crapping out at above 70C and 1.4V under air cooling but I don't know the specifics or if they are just rumors. I remember similar rumors with the original Quads but they ran fine, though they never reached toasty temps of 70C+. For all we know dudes could of ran dead chips well above 1.4V in some crapbox with grandma's heatsink.

I'll post back once I've lapped it and then I may also replace heat spreader to test further. I'd like to lower temps as much as possible then find optimum OC for around 70C operation. Local hardware shop visit needed first to obtain more grades of W&D sand paper as I've run out. Might lap the base of the Noctua NH-D14 if needed though it appears fairly reasonable from the brief inspection before I mounted it.

8. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Small Update guys, Haven't really played much at all with this for a couple weeks. Though I had been thinking about it.

What I decided to do was to just set the Boost Multi's to 42 (so far) so when I give my system something to do it boosts the clock frequency to 4200Mhz. I set the voltage manually to 1.15v. I also changed a couple things in the UEFI like LLC to Turbo, but more or less everything is stock. I'll detail changes if people want.

I've not stress tested this much yet, I ran Prime95 Blend with AVX and 80% RAM for about 25Mins and no errors or BSOD (I know needs to be longer) I also played Alan Wake (Only arrived today) for about 2Hrs, and no issues, I may leave Prime running over night tonight.

I'll get back with screen shots, still tossing with the idea of buying more 3570Ks and just keeping the best one (if I get a good one) and selling the rest, hopefully without making much of a loss on them.

Oh temps with these settings hit like 59C on the hottest core, ambient's where around 21C

9. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Update

Failed Prime Blend last night, woke up this morn to find that only after an hour or so a worker had failed, the others where fine though.

[​IMG]

Will up voltage and try again tonight.

10. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Temps look a lot better now. :)

Though perhaps it might be worth investigating other settings before you up the voltage as it's going to increase the heat, and consider leave voltage increases as a last resort. It might be worth testing with things like PLL voltage settings first, assuming you haven't attempted changing it yet.

11. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I think that temps screen shot may be a little misleading, if you look at my Max Temps they hit 64C on the hottest core. So for 1.15v and running overnight, ambient's should be lower, its probably not that great.

I'm still tied about what I want to do, in that, there's what I want (Good OC'ing chip) and what I need (Do I really need to run 4.5GHz+ 24/7? I doubt it) There's also something else I need to consider and that's I'm wanting to build a NAS to put all my DVD and Blu Ray collection on and obviously any future DVD+Blu Rays I buy so I can stream them wirelessly around my home and I don't know if I'd need to do any Video Transcoding or anything like that. So there's a 3rd option, buy a 3770K for the HT to help in those situations (I'd have lots of DVDs and Blu Rays to do)

I'll give dropping the PLL ago, say to 1.7v from 1.8v. I'll try that now. Not sure what other settings to play with though. Maybe IMC volts? I run my memory at 1866Mhz, if my IMC is weak that might cause the fail?

12. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Well, a lot better than the 68c at stock clocks in the previous images posted. It's also only just starting to make use of the water cooling, of course ambient temps are going to have a lot to say, but that's always the case and you are probably comparing your temps with people who have also recorded their temps at the lowest ambient possible.

All processors are of course different from each other, yours might just need a slightly higher voltage to start with, and due to having been tested at high ambient conditions it probably makes the chip look a lot worse that what it really is when compared to other chips.

Regarding changes that can help with stability, at 1866MHz slightly increasing the VCCIO might help with stability, but it can also have a relatively large effect on heat dumped inside the chip. Might be worth a quick check but it can also work to offset Vcore voltage and as such can be deceptive at the expense of much higher levels of heat generated.

The most important voltage for many systems seems to be the PLL voltage, dropping this can really help with stability. I would start by dropping the pll in small steps and see what kind of effect it has, it should go down to 1.5v without issue and most people seem to get favorable results between 1.5v and 1.6v

It would also be helpful to perhaps list out the settings being used and the available voltage/LLC/VRM/power saving settings etc. as they can all play a part and it can get complicated very quickly, perhaps not for you but for any one else trying to follow.

13. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Oh yeah, your right, I looked at the wrong screen shot lol

Anyway, I've tested at 1.7v PLL and it failed. It failed on the same worker as before at almost the exact same time. I think it was 4 minutes out.

Screen shot

[​IMG]

I'll pop back into UEFI and jot down my settings and put them in this post

Some UEFI Settings

Most settings are on Auto, however

Turbo Power Limit I've set to 250W (Don't think this needs to be higher)
    Core Current Limit is AUTO (Not sure if I should raise this from Auto)

PWM Phase Control - Extreme Performance
    Vcore Volt Response - Fast
    LLC - Turbo
    Vcore Current Protection - Extreme
    Vcore PWM Thermal Protection - 135C (Auto is 130C)

Vcore - 1.15v
    CPU VTT - Auto
    CPU PLL - 1.6v (will test shortly)
    IMC - Auto

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  14. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Once you are done testing with the PLL voltage, it might be worth checking whether the VRM is getting too hot due to lack of air cooling, quite common with water cooled systems.

I'd also consider testing different LLC levels, start with the lowest as it is probably not required at a relatively low overclock and adds heat to the VRM. Though this will depend entirely on the kind of voltage droop the system is exhibiting.

Also, before increasing the IMC/VTT it might be worth dropping the memory down to 1600MHz, this should help identify any weaknesses with the memory controller. Also IB's memory controller is designed to run memory at 1600MHz native, for overclocking you may have to drop the memory down to this figure.

That's the basics anyway. If the above doesn't help then you may have to move on to more fine tuning before ultimately increasing vcore.

15. brendanvista

brendanvista Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    I swear to god I'm not trying to troll, but how on earth is my fx-8150 getting a higher cpu score (overclocked) than the i5 3570k (stock) in vantage? Might there be something wrong with your system or something? That thing should blow this amd out of the water, especially in gaming benchmarks like vantage. http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/4278924

16. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Didn't test CPU PLL at 1.6v I had a BSOD while watching YouTube Videos lol What I decided to do was leave PLL at 1.6v and up Vcore to 1.16v then ran Prime again.

Result

[​IMG]

It lasted way longer than the previous tests with the 0.01v increase in Vcore, also notice that it was the same worker again, by the same worker failing each time could that mean its more likely Vcore issue!? I've decided to up the Vcore another 0.01v to 1.17v

I did also try lower the LLC while at 1.16v from Turbo to High but that resulted in a reboot and a 124 error code if I remember rightly, so put it back up to Turbo. The screen shot above is at Turbo. I guess the only way I can lower LLC is to up the volts more than necessary so the droop doesn't matter as much.

My guess would be your running an 8 core whereas I'm running a 4 core, no hyper-threading on these i5's mate, plus your comparing my stock speed to your 4.5GHz. My non HT chip at 4.5GHz scores about 24.5K on CPU test.

17. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Swings and roundabouts. Lowering the LLC would mean a higher Vcore setting in the bios, but the load voltage needed would remain about the same. However lower LLC will reduce stress on your components, can help with temps, and the idle/light load BSOD 124 (such as watching videos on youtube) is often due to too high an LLC setting.

Using a high LLC settings can also mean a higher overall Vcore to avoid idle/light load BSOD issues. Which is why higher LLC levels with SB/IB should be reserved for only when they can not be avoided, i.e at much higher overclocks.

Which brings me to another question. Are you using fixed or offset voltage? or does this board allow offset voltage with manual overclocking as previous gigabyte boards did not. If you are using offset then you might want to disable c3 and c6. If it's fixed Vcore then they might need to be on auto.

18. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I'm using Fixed voltage, it doesn't let me use an offset with Fixed.

I'll test with my current settings maybe, see how stable it is, then start lowing LLC until unstable and up Vcore accordingly perhaps?

I think i'll pop over to Anand, I'm sure they have a guide or article about LLC that I read a few years ago.

19. brendanvista

brendanvista Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    You do have a point. Btw, nice job with your CPU. Dis be kickin' ass!

20. Akhkaru

Akhkaru Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB WF
    I just got an i5-3570k and I think I'm lucky enough to hit 4.6GHz with temps maxing at 75 @1.2v (Prime95 w/ In-place Large FFTs) . I'm actually really impressed with the performance.