i5 3570K, bios set for 4.5 and cpuz says 4.1

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by metalnwood, Mar 13, 2013.

1. metalnwood

metalnwood Member

GPU:
    ATI ASUS 7970
    This is my first OC of an ivy but I think I have got things done correctly.

I read a couple overviews and it's pretty much the same as the sandys I have done before.

On this pc is am using an asus p8z77-v lk and I have set it up for 4.5 using base 100 and multiplier of 45.

In windows 7 cpuz tells me that the multiplier is 41. I have tried a number of chanes but I can't sort it out. I found only one similar case and the guy was told to remove asus AI suite. It worked for him but it has not worked for me.

I removed AI suite and then removed the services left over but the multiplier still wont go past 41 even though the bios is set for 45.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    do you still have turbo mode enabled?

3. Roccer

Roccer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti XC ULTR
    first confirm the above question regarding turbo mode being enabled.
    if that's not it:

what BIOS version are you using? i ran into a similar issue (well opposite...) where i tried going from 45 back to 41 (45 was unstable on my 1st 3770k chip) and while the bios said 41, the OS said 45 still. turns out there was a bug in the ASUS bios. fix was to reflash the bios (same version is fine) then redo OC settings for me. perhaps give a quick reflash a try?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  4. metalnwood

metalnwood Member

GPU:
    ATI ASUS 7970
    Thanks guys, turbo was enabled, then disabled but it didnt make any difference.

I am using 1908 which is the latest that was already installed. I will reflash and report from there.

Thanks guys!

Hmm, turns out I did not disable turbo mode.

Trying it out I cannot get the option to be accessable. I can enable/disable EIST but that doesnt change tubo mode to be editable.

Perhaps the reflash is next on the list, it might solve this and the other problems.

OK, got it going after a reflash. Thanks for the suggestion.

Now I just need to find a good voltage. 1.21 was too low. I put it up to 1.23 and IBT crashed with a problem. First time I have seen that rather than a lock up.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2013

5. Roccer

Roccer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti XC ULTR
    if its crashing rather than locking up, then you are getting closer. bump the voltage up a bit more and try again. also test using prime95 (latest ver is 2.79). and even if no crashes or errors in either IBT or Prime, dont forget to check the event viewer system logs for any WHEA parity errors. if you see those, you're still not 100% stable.

i think mine was stable at 1.25v in the end for 4.5Ghz. after that i switched to offset mode so that i could utilize lower voltages at lower frequencies with speedstep enabled since ivybridges do great with speedstep (previous intel cpus ive always disabled it and set performance in windows to high perfromance instead of balanced).

now at idle, im at 1.6Ghz and a voltage of ~.95v in CPUz

i think in my case, my offset was -.045. but its going to be different for everyone.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  6. metalnwood

metalnwood Member

GPU:
    ATI ASUS 7970
    Roccer, thanks for that. There is a tip I didnt know and would probably explain the odd issue from time to time on one of my 2500k machines.

I am at 1.25. Thing look good but I do have a number of parity errors. After running prime for 5 minutes I have around 5 parity errors so I will put it up another small notch.