1. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Master Guru

GPU:
    7950 HD
    Hello,

I am still going strong on i5 2500k in 2019, mostly playing older games anyway and everyday tasks. Im happy with it. I have it turned on 24/7.
    It eats about 5€ of electricity per month which isnt much. But i like tweaking so i would like to see how much i can improve this. So i have 2 questions:

1) which settings in bios are the most important to reduce the idle power consumption. I have seen some setups to go as low as 30W. Right now with 8800 gts i am using 100-110W in idle. Will changing those settings affect how soon my pc becomes responsive ? Like if its in idle at lowest multiplier/voltage and i click on a program, will it take longer to open it (meaning cpu will need to get it into gear) because of that ?

2) I have it overclocked to all core 4Ghz right now. But per core seems superior. Tell me if i am right. Lets say we have a fixed voltage, so voltage is out of the equation. We have 2 choices:

a) all 4 cores at 4Ghz
    b) 4 cores at 4Ghz, 3 cores at 4.1Ghz, 2 cores at 4.2Ghz, 1 core at 4.3Ghz

Am i right in assuming that with same voltage what u see can be acomplished ? And if it is soo, wouldnt it be great ? That way in single threaded workloads i get 300Mhz more, and if all 4 treads are used, i still have the same 4Ghz i would if i set all 4 cores to 4Ghz ? Am i understanding this right ?

2. squalles

squalles Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX 1080 EXOC OC
    i don´t know what games you´re playing but i changed 2 years ago my i5 2500k 4.7ghz to i7 2700k 4.7ghz, because have so many games don´t running decently, like gta 5, mafia 3, far cry series and etc

3. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Well, he did say "older" games. They can be fun too, you know?

4. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Master Guru

GPU:
    7950 HD
    Most of the time i am playing supreme commander. I did play gta 5 on 4Ghz also with hd 7950 if i remember correctly and didnt get any stutters.

Anyway, i would be glad of some input from you guys regarding my questions, please, i know u can do it !! :)

5. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC H20
    i think that 8800 gts would be more limiting than the 2500k,

airbud7 likes this.
  6. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    This^

insp1re2600 likes this.