I went to the darkside...

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Slam, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    at least temporarily, my AMD brethren. Been strictly AMD for 6 years. But review after review of the C2D's just kept slapping me in the face. And with AMD forever pushing back release of their new line, I went ahead and crossed over "cheaply" just to see what it was like. The price is way too good right now not to. And my 939 setup was starting to show its age.

I spent $325 bones at the Egg, and got:

E4300 cpu $114
    MSI P6N Platinum mobo $112 (oem)
    2gb Geil pc6400 4-4-4-12 mem $99

Flashed the mobo to the latest beta bios...and check it, I have a completely stable 3.45ghz on the cpu. It's nuts. I hate to admit it, but this thing smokes my Opty 165 at 2.8ghz. Big performance increase in Vista.

Just felt like sharing my experience, in case anyone was pondering the same thing.

Looking forward to seeing what AMD's new lineup will do.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  2. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Traitor.............JK

Yeah AMD is really taking long with their new line of CPU's. The thing is that i would have already upgraded to C2D but being in college it severely limits my upgrade options. I will probably be able to save up for a E6420 with a 2GB mem. and a Gigabyte board (since they are the good ones and fairly cheap for a good OC)

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    i hope amd comes back strong we need competition to keep prices down

4. N00bst3r

N00bst3r Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX570 OC
    I wish they'ed get their thumb out of their asses and get some decent stuff out. Im planning on upgrading my pc over summer before i start Uni as ill have no money then. If they dont have them out by then im afraid its a C2D or C2Q option im picking. For me its all about the speed and performance in games.

5. Wendig0

Wendig0 Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor PCS+ AXR9 290X
    yeah except i thought ATi/AMD was the dark side not intel.

6. G-Man

G-Man Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle 8800GTS 640MB
    You have only begun to discover your power. Join me, and I will complete your training. With our combined strength, we can end this destructive conflict and bring order to the galaxy

7. nightime_bird

nightime_bird Member Guru

GPU:
    7900GT SLi@560/1600Mhz (Vf900cu)
    I'm actually considering a e6400 and a MSI P6N SLI Platinum 650i Myself

:)

8. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Vega56 8GB
    They had better stuff than Intel from around 1999 (Athlon Thunderbird, XP, A64 (X2)) till 2006 (C2D), but now you are judging AMD for 1 year losing the performance crown.

9. Æther Tech

Æther Tech Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 9600GT(OC:750/2k/2k
    The dark side is strong in you, further your power, deny the weak and helpless that is AMD. JOIN THE DARK SIDE! THE STRONG SIDE! THE INTEL SIDE!

10. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    like he said, its all about performance and speed in games..he never judged AMD..he was just being practical and switched platforms

to the OP, i feel for you man, going the intel way was a hard decision for me.if someone told me id be going intel last year (at least pre C2D) id LMAO at him and probably throw expletives and cusses too..then it dawned on me that my dreaming of an Anti-COnroe isnt coming soon (that was around february this year) and my A64 3000 was becoming long in the tooth..so i swallowed my AMD pride and went intel..:p

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    my system is still good im not making a new system until at least early 2008 (tax return time)

12. EDogg007

EDogg007 Guest

I was planning to upgrade as well, but funds are low and with an impending move to Houston, Texas in the next 3 months i figured i'd wait. I too feel my 939 setup is showing it's age.

13. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Yeah...I didn't realize the speed bump I'd get upgrading. Just didn't have a clue. It really surprised me. You read all the reviews about the C2D, and figure some of it is hype. It's not.

I mean sure...at stock speed, it's "so so" good. But the amount of oc'n this thing did...the difference in Vista performance over my Opty at 2.8ghz is pretty big. And for this kind of performance jump spending only $325 for a cpu, mobo, and 2gb of ddr2 800, it's a steal. And this is coming from a huge AMD fan. Had nothing but AMD for 6yrs.

And it really is noticeable on cpu heavy games. I play WoW a lot. Any of you that play that game and have a AMD64, and runs at 1680x1050, with all detail cranked, AA on, and v-sync, knows what happens when the server starts getting real busy. Places like Shatt etc start really bringing your frame rates down. Not anymore. I still get an occasional dip, but the frame rate still stays relatively high, and it recovers almost immediately from the dip.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  14. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galax 3080 SC
    I chose AMD over intel after several intel setups, and i couldn't be more happy intel need to REST IN PEACE!!!

15. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Good for you man. Whatever floats your boat.

For me, I like getting the fastest, and best bang for the buck. Right now, that's intel.

16. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galax 3080 SC
    Can't counter that, but soon it will change again... still for my budget AMD fitted just well.

17. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    I have a xeon 3070 and 680i board on the way... I too have shifted over for the time being... :)

18. mauriek

mauriek Member

GPU:
    DA GTS 250 Green 512MB
    i am stick with my AMD until K10 is proof to be performance looser.. :)

19. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Whatcha doing for mem?

20. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti