1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want Win10 to think I have an older Quadro..

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by bryjor, Aug 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. bryjor

bryjor New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Hi, All.

Not sure if this is the right area for this question. I'll ask this as simply as I can.

I have some older software that works very well with Win7 and a Quadro FX 3700. It's software that utilizes quad-buffered stereo. For various reasons, I need to upgrade to Windows 10. The software is very expensive, and I would like to use my older version, just upgrading the hardware. I have a Quadro K5000. All of my software works in Win10 except the quad-buffered stereo. It does not recognize it as a stereo capable device.

I know the K5000 is functional (can do quad-buffered stereo). What I want to be able to do is make my software (and maybe Win10?) think I have an older Quadro FX card. Is this something Rivatuner can do?

Thanks in advance.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    use older drivers, you don't need to fake an older card.

Drivers 390 and earlier will do it.

3. bryjor

bryjor New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Thanks for the reply, Astyanax. I will try installing an earlier driver.

4. bryjor

bryjor New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Tried v355.85. No luck. enabled 3D, checked requisite settings for my software. I get a "could not find stereo capable graphics card" error. Any other thoughts?

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  6. bryjor

bryjor New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Not sure I was clear on what I need. The software I have is from 2011(!). It was last updated back when the Fermi version Nvidia cards were just coming around, and Windows 10 wasn't a real thing. So the latest drivers aren't likely to help. I've tried updated drivers, and older drivers. My software doesn't seem to recognize the newer architecture. That's why I was thinking that a software tweak may do the trick.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    software age shouldn't matter, the quadro drivers have to support software well back into the 000's

Your drivers need to fit the OS for quad buffered stereo capability.

8. bryjor

bryjor New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    This is true, but I don't think the issue is with the NVIDIA drivers, but with my software's recognition of the OS and the newer card. Does this make sense? My thought is that there may be a way to make the software believe it has a Quadro FX instead of a K2000.

9. bryjor

bryjor New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Not saying you're wrong. I've just tried the drivers. Not sure what to try next.

10. Only Intruder

Only Intruder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    You can spoof the hardware ID via editing the related entry in the registry - I did this when I ran Halo yonks ago when I had an Nvidia 9600GT (to spoof it as an ATi card). Halo blocked out certain effects for Nvidia cards during it's original release because at the time, Nvidia cards were..... poor (FX series cards). (This is no longer necessary for Halo itself since the block has been patched out).

I believe there are utilities out there to make spoofing easier but this guide is pretty much what you'd need to do http://grimore.org/windows/spoof_hardware_identifiers (I haven't done this myself on Win10 but device manager/registry editing hasn't changed all that much from Windows Vista and even older versions of Windows).

If you do go down this route though, I heavily recommend you back up any registry keys you plan to edit incase the changes cause any errors to occur and you'll need to know the specific hardware ID values you'd require and should anything go wrong be prepared to boot into safemode and restore the registry keys or uninstall gpu drivers (with DDU) and reinstall drivers.

Did a little googling and it appears Nvidia dropped native support of Quad Buffered Stereo anyway electing to rely on the Microsoft API for it https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ans...r-select-nvidia-quad-buffered-stereo-features so you'd need a driver version older than 396, it states there that 390 is the last driver version to support it so that'd probably be your best bet for Windows 10.

I'm also wondering if Windows 10 is auto installing newer drivers? Have you checked the GPU doesn't automatically receive updated drivers from Windows Update?

To be honest though, for the sake of your legacy software, it might be better to set up a legacy system rather than using Win10 if it's proving difficult to work with the software. My choice would be just to set up another hard drive with Windows 7 on it and plug the drive and boot into win7 as and when needed (you could dual-boot if you really wanted to but I find that to be a pain and it can cause some really annoying behaviour with the bootloader).

11. bryjor

bryjor New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Thank you for your response, and sorry for my late reply. You're not wrong about the legacy system suggestion. I actually have that, because I don't have much choice. The reason to move to Win10 is more about the other software i need to use, and I guess security. But that's less important than getting an updated video card to work. I should have mentioned that the K5000 doesn't work with my software in Windows 7 either. I guess I figured that if I'm going to tweak Windows to make the card work, I'd rather it be Windows 10 than 7.