I want to Turn on AMD but i got prejudice

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Mr.Bigtime, Aug 29, 2003.

1. ugapug

ugapug Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 Classified
    Just coming into this one now, but here's my .02 worth. Most, if not all, AMD problems can be traced to one of three factors:

1. Power Supply - Don't buy a generic case with a generic power supply and think it will suffice. Get a quality power supply by Antec, Enermax or PC Power and Cooling and you will be happier.

2. Memory - Don't buy generic memory and expect it to perform. Sure, Corsair, Mushkin, and Crucial are more expensive. They are worth every penny. This is especially important with an Nforce 2 mobo. ( I have the Abit NF7-S and love it)

3. Driver installation - Please make sure you install the proper (and most recent) drivers for the chipset/sound/video before bemoaning the "instability" of AMD (or any other type of processor or device).

Hope I helped a little.

2. Alcom

Alcom Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 5850 1gb
    Where exactly did you hear that? I've only ever heard it from devout Intel enthusiasts. I don't think I've ever seen it in print!

3. PCPETE

PCPETE Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800GTS 320MB
    hah, AMD Chips unstable! They are so much more stable than any p4 i've seen!

4. WeaZel

WeaZel Guest

Re: Re: I want to Turn on AMD but i got prejudice

And you hit that nail on the head. Biggie has a 1.5 P4.

AMD cpu's knowadays are just as stable as P4's.

5. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    I don't think it was really ever an issue of the CPU anyway, but the motherboard chipsets. Nforce boards seem to please just about everyone, though.

6. Alcom

Alcom Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 5850 1gb
    You've got it right there, GL. The CPU is just the counter, the mainboard and it's chipset have to bring together all the components that make a good machine.

At this point, the specifications are pretty tight on both sides. Of course, Intel has the name so their brand drives up the price of their chips. I haven't seen people posting a huge frame-rate advantage by upgrading to a "Hyperthreaded" chip, although perhaps the 800mhz fsb helps. But then the price takes leaps too, at those speeds.

I think AMD gets the value advantage by providing high performance solutions that still cost a bit less. They have 400mhz fsb chips too now, and may make headway with the 64 bit chips.

Since we're only talking about a P4 1500 to an AMD1800, I'd say you'd benefit from the switch to the value AMD option!

7. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    thanks to "everyone". i think im gonna switch to amd if ican find a good(trustful) seller.first of all i must agree them on to exchange with my old mobo.its my lack of knowledge @ amd products as i metioned i got prejudice but its clear now after more deep research on net and this posts. And GL u r right, the main issue is the mobo.if u have a unstable mobo what can u do with ur amd. many people says i got problem with this i got problem with that.its vaslid on intel and too,infact all products.i needed information and i got it. take care.