I want to enter MotorCycling.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Mr.Bigtime, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    thank you very much for all of these advices..

2. givmedew

givmedew Guest

GPU:
    (2) CrossFire AMD R9 290X
    Agree with upgrade lol. No offense but I laugh at the slip ons that I see on 125 and 250 bikes. It most likely lowers your performance and it definitely hurts the ozone since your cat is inside your muffler.

Also with upgrades to give you an idea of how feeble they are. I read an article about a man who owned a Ninja 636 and a 10r he turbo charged his 636 and the 10r still ate it alive. I own an 06 636 and had a 07 10r but sold it to get back my black RC51 final and the other difference between a lower end bike and a higher end bike is everything. The RC51 come stock with spanner wrench style billet aluminum adjusting rings for the rear shock where as the 636 is forged. Every bit of trim every last part benefits on a higher end bike.

So please take this time to ABUSE THE HECK out of your bike and learn. Because you do not want to learn on something you have invested money into unless it has a cage :) and sliders only work at sub 10mph lol!

Also IMO don't ever sell that bike I would keep it forever when you get your first cruiser or liter bike you can let a women ride the other bike or make it your work commuter. If you buy a liter bike you will quickly learn that expensive tires are a must and the more expensive the tire the shorter the life it has. Tires become more expensive than any other maintenance on the bike as hard acceleration causes tire spin even though you are not aware of it.

So keep that thing forever. I will never sell my 636 and honestly if Kawasaki had a better looking beginners bike back when I was in the market for a daily driver I would have bought that instead but kawi didn't update that bike for around 10 yrs until 2009 I think. Also if you ever buy a liter bike you will be very upset about the gas mileage LOL!

If that thing ever becomes uncomfortable from old age or back injury simply take off the clip-ons and ad touring style bars to the triple tree. I did so on my 636 for different reasons.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  3. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Wasnt that 636 equal to that 10R ? Did read about some R6 turbo which was faster than R1. Sure it's cheaper just to buy a bigger bike but people want to have turbo because they can and it's kinda a hobby.

Not really. Those sliders can help at higher speeds also, just pay attention what you buy, cheapest ones are crap. Seen some where the engine did hit the tarmac before the slider did... Some good sliders did save one R6 here, dont know about the speed, definitely way over 10mph.

Tires are expensive compared to what ? Surely you need to replace those before you have to replace car tyres but you dont need to buy four of those. Expensive tyres are a must, really ? Tell that to my friend who takes some used tyres from motorcycle shops (for free) and then drifts with those, wheelies are no problem either as those have enough grip, just dot that many miles to go tho. Shorter life on expensive tyres, mostly yes, but that new Michelin Pilot Road seems to last quite long, correct air pressure inside tyre is kinda must.

Spins rear tyre at acceleration ? What bike ? On 1000cc supersports it doesnt as those lift the front first. If you are not on wet tarmac or have cold tyre (as in you just started your bike from 10deg Celcius). And ofc if you dont have swingarm extensions.

It's a hobby and those do not consume that much fuel. If you are not on track ofc. It's a hobby and really, looking at fuel economy on motorcycle ruins the fun.

4. givmedew

givmedew Guest

GPU:
    WOW!!! upset somebody LOOK YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY AGAINST EVERY SINGLE THING I SAID!!!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012

5. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Did not upset me, just did disagree with those parts, your other post was mostly something I did agree with so I left that be.

Did have internal job done, putting turbo to bike without that isnt really going to be worth it as you cant increase boost pressure much. Well, turbo bikes are hobby for some. As for those mods, yup, I agree.
    Point is not the prevent all damage, but to prevent engine damage and what would happen when it touches tarmac. That R6 which had those sliders did suffer few hundred € damages, but it was not bad compared what would have happened without sliders. As I said, seen also some sliders which did not hit the tarmac before engine did and those are useless.

For just riding around tyres do not need to be the most expensive ones, cheaper ones do also grip enough for road usage, just make sure that those are not new 5year old ones. It's important to know what you have under. Also normal good tyres are fine for first track day, for more experienced good track tyres are a must as you get used to riding on track.

Spin tyre = burnout for me. You notice when your rear tyre loses grip and do not need to go and check if there is any tyre on tarmac. I do know about front tyre what happens when it hits tarmac from wheelie.

Tires just go, what kind of distances are we talking about, I consider tires lasting qutie nicely if those do 5000km (3100miles). I know about those flat strips and what cause those.

Reason why there was marking on the apex is because most tyres use two compounds, softer at sides which is why track tires wear off at the sides and not from the middle. That soft compount does leave more visible markings than the harder one at the middle. Still, isnt that visible which you notice when you ride past it. I dont really go walk and see what the tarmac looks when I have riden past it.

Would be more like a hobby for OP. If you look motorcycles from money point of view, you likely end up with a car. I still do not see why you would need to keep your first bike, I'm not made of money. I dont have a car as I cant afford a bike and a car, I also can not afford multiple bikes.

He bought that bike already and was saying how it would not go past 78km/h because of incorrect riding position and so, anyways, it's starting feel a bit lacking qutie soon. I dont make fun of small bikes, I actually said that now that he has it's worth using it and learning stuff.

Big maintances and often than with car, sure. Change your bike often enough so it doesnt completely break down. Once you get used to bigger ones which have power it's not that you want to go back to something which doesnt from the economy point of view. Also I did make a comment about having multiple bikes, nice for those who can afford it, not for me.

6. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    If it's only reach 78 kph at the top gear, you might shift to the top gear too early at low rev. Try shifting at higher rpm. Keep on throttling until you feel the acceleration decreased, then change gear quickly to maintain RPM

I use yellow tinted visor and it works well day and night. Don't use black visor at night, I did that and got an accident because of the poor visibility.

7. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    You're Welcome, then get a chopper ;)

[​IMG]

8. givmedew

givmedew Guest

GPU:
    Tat3 I cant argue with you. It is obvious that you believe you are all knowing and I bow to your amazing knowledge. Everything you say is to counter my words there was not a single statement I have made that you did not have some something to correct. Since you obviously must be holding back that you secretly work in the R+D department at Dunlop what more can I say. You got me I don't know a thing about tires. Too think stupid me thought all these years it took friction (tire spin or slide) to create a thick dark patch of rubber. I guess all these years of racing karts and cars and beating on my bikes that I did not learn one thing about motorcycles or tires at all. Too bad...

That being said I'd like to leave this thread back to the OP since this has gotten completely off topic and silly. Thanks for the advanced lessons in engine building, tire wear, the fact that someone who called me out as some kind of idiot for caring about fuel economy on a liter bike yet is willing to put cheap tires on such a bike is someone who makes NO SENSE to me at all.

Congrats to the OP you bike is very nice looking and I think you will get many many miles out of it. I regret that I will not be returning to this thread though because seriously I do not feel like having every comment I make torn apart bye someone who either knows just enough to sound like he knows a lot or someone who invented the dual compound tire himself!

9. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    You are just insulting and not wanting to actually contribute to this discussion. I have agreed on few things which you did seem to ignore.

I said that you do not need to have the most expensive tyres for normal road use. Cheaper ones are fine when you just know what you have, how much grip there is and so. I have CBR929, tyre for the rear, not going to buy Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP and pay 200€ for it (atm selling at one store for 197,7€). Enough grip and doesnt cost arm and leg ? Michelin Pilot Power for 133,1€. For road use you dont need more, if you are pushing that to the limit on public road you are going way over the speed limit (at least it's that way on the roads I have here). Cheaper ones also work well enough if you arent speeding very much and are prepaired that there might be someone coming from another direction.

I still say that hard acceleration without tyre losing isnt going to lay down long dark path of rubber based on my experience. There isnt path of rubber at places from normal road tyres where there has been hard acceleration without tyre losing grip. Very small parts come off the tyre at times but it still does not leave a long thick path of rubber which is visible when you just go by.

I did not call you an idiot, I just did disagree about that fuel economy part. If all you care is economy you would not even look at 1000cc supersport ones because the isurance alone costs a lot. Economy then, a bit less mpg than smaller bikes but hey, you pay for the power. Also when you buy a sport car economy is not the first thing you think of, if you were that much worried how many mpg's it gets, you would buy something else. People who care about fuel economy (which still could be worse) are going to find out about it before they buy a bike and if they dont, it's their loss. That way under 30mpg sounds a bit strange tho, less than what most say on some forums, have not owned 10R (dont even know what year yours is) so cant really comment from experience. Complaining about fuel economy and using sport tyres to limit on corners, hard accelerations most of the time (thats what kind of picture I got from your posts) isnt really economic way to ride and doesnt make much sense to complain about the economy then.

10. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    wow....that was a bit extreme..... in both the exxageration and the reaction.

He had a few incorrect statements.
    It's perfectly safe to ride with a clear shield with or without sunglasses. I have friends that have been doing it for years. You just have to know where to look to minimize the impact on you.
    If you purchase a proper helmet, there's rarely need to open the shield during travel.
    There's also no reason at all to choose a tire based on price. Higher price does NOT mean better tire. Never has, never will. Higher price only means more expensive.
    If you want a tinted shield, check for availability of different tint levels. They were available years ago but I'm unsure of now. If available, start with a lightly tinted shield and don't buy any darker than you actually need.

12. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    You can only use the muffler, but the pipe must be built accordingly for a 125. Different engine size use different pipe measurements.

Also the sound of a 125 and 250 is different. You can put the same muffler but the sound won't be the same.

13. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    so getting any better yet Mr. bigtime?

[​IMG]

14. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
  15. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Alright, Biggie, time to turn you onto another side of motorcycling: getting out and covering some ground!

Prepare yourself for a heaping helping of incoming [​IMG]

Produced (and I use the term lightly) by yours truly... https://vimeo.com/31480546

16. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    haha :)

video is very nice by the way. man, motorcycle means FREEDOM. for real.

and in that video, different type f motors, NAKES, TOURER, SUPERTOURER. man, hard to decide which is good to ride.

17. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Don't discriminate. Try them all! :banana: :)

18. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Try them all hu? well, if i can for sure!

I just arrived home from a nice smooth 1 hour of riding my motor. And it was all way in the traffic. man, fckers doesnt respect motor-riders. shame and lame.

Sometimes u cant just clutch to down to 1. dont know why but it just dont let u down to 1. and i cant make a move from stop position to move position. i mean in traffic lights.

This 125 CC upsets me. wish bought the 250 cc..yes i talk wrong but still. :p

19. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Are you stationary when you try to shift down multiple gears ? If gear doesnt want to go in when you are stationary, push the bike forward a bit (one feet is plenty) and try shift then, should work. When you slow down to traffic light shift down when then bike is moving to prevent "gear not going in" problem.

20. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    yes iam stationary. and the road was a DOWNHILL UP so no way i can move it forward man:(