I want buy a gtx 670 but fear of stuttering pls help

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by CoMa666, Jul 10, 2012.

1. aufkrawall

aufkrawall Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC 2-Way SLI
    I got a GTX 670 (304.79 driver) and have no stuttering at all.
    Got clock locked with Nvidia Inspector and don't use adaptive vsync.

2. nofear4u

nofear4u Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 SC 4GB SLI
    Just got my GTX 670 SLI setup installed yesterday...Ive only tried Deus EX HR from steam and so far its perfect!

I will look into your suggestions in case I notice any stutter in other games like Max Payne 3 or Diablo 3 which im about to install now. Thanks.

btw-im using older 301.42 drivers for now.

3. aufkrawall

aufkrawall Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC 2-Way SLI
    It wasn't meant as a suggestion, just described my personal setup. :)

4. simmerfan

simmerfan New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 560Ti
    After reading your post I went ...yes, this must be it.

And now since aufkrawall has had no stuttering when using fixed clock speed that verifies your idea, doesn't it?

I hope the same fix works also with GTX 680/690.

Here is a link I found on how to fix the locked clock speed:
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1267918/g...d-undervolting

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012

5. Phroster

Phroster Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3070 RTX
    Since the new drivers (304.48) the issue with the random intermittent stutter was solved, mainly in Mass Effect, Skyrim, and as far as I noticed, any other game I played, after this driver.

I don't have any of these stutters anymore, even Max Payne 3, ran fine before the fix. Only drivers that gave problems were the 301.xx drivers, 300.83 was fine before...

Have not tried Rage yet, I'm going to try Rage, as this game was also smooth before the 304.xx drivers.

Also Titan Quest, even stuttered years ago when it was released.

Also the problem that WAS fixed, wich users also reported, that their "older"
    570 or 580 did not have this stutter in these games, and they did get stutters when they used their 680GTX.
    I experienced the same thing, and this has been fixed.

These other games people say still have problems, are games that had problems also BEFORE the 680 was even released, CIV5 also stuttered badly on my 570 GTX.

League of Legends also was never smooth on my 570 GTX.

Games that stutter at a certain point in game, for instance when loading new data, usually isn't a drivers issue, it's just game loading in an bad way, wich causes a frame drop, usually when the game engine isn't multi threaded, or has bad streaming optimizations.

6. simmerfan

simmerfan New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 560Ti
    Phroster, can I now order a GTX 690 and be sure not to get any of the frame rate drops and stutter so many has written about here?

What do you think?

7. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    It was not solved. Since then they have confirmed two separate issues in addition to the original fix which was issued in 304 release. RAGE and Titan Quest stuttering they observed as two separate problems.

Titan Quest on a single GPU 680 it is UNPLAYABLE stuttering just try it yourself if you don't believe me.. it is not normal behavior it is driver problem.. it feels like the screen is skipping around... it's a result of frames fluctuating between 59 and 61 fps constantly. it is only resolved by placing a 60fps frame limiter which is not part of the official driver control panel.

Syndicate has very noticeable skipping and stuttering with VSYNC at 60Hz single GPU max performance mode... only resolved mostly by placing 60fps frame limiter. Wasn't necessary before 600 series, why is it needed now?

Not sure why you would even doubt me Phroster when you know that it was my video that led to the ORIGINAL fix.

8. simmerfan

simmerfan New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 560Ti
    Brendruis, did you see my post #64 where I commented Shadowdane's thoughts on the issue?

Do you know if these issues are solved by setting a fixed gpu clock speed with Nvidia Inspector, and disable the gpu boost feature?

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    whats this I hear about 670 gtx in general have quality control issues? cause i really thinking about buying one.

10. simmerfan

simmerfan New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 560Ti

11. BamBoozleD

BamBoozleD Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 670 FTW LE Sli
    My EVGA GTX 670 FTW LE arrives today, cant wait to see how it compares to my current setup and if I get these stutters.

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
  13. simmerfan

simmerfan New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 560Ti
    Ok. Just google "GTX 680 stutter issue" or similar and you will find a lot.

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    no thank you

15. Phroster

Phroster Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3070 RTX
    Brendius, I followed the thread on the nvidia forums also, I know you where a big contributer to solving the issue, and I thank you for it!

But, I only want to point out, that in my experience, the games that are mentioned, mostly had issues before the 680GTX even existed.

Titan Quest didn't even run smooth when I first played it, when it was released.

LoL, had it's weird stutters also way before, not sure if it was improved with the new engine updates.

Rage I haven't tried yet, so i'm intrested to test it and report back...

But all im saying is from my personal experience, that these game already had issues.

I did notice this same issue, with the capping FPS to 60 FPS with The Darkness 2, but that happened on my 570GTX...

(maybe I just can't accept the fact that my 500$ upgrade has huge issues, just haven't run into any big ones yet, or I might have atributed those to game issues, as the intermittent stutter bug was universal in almost any game, you had the same dip in FPS everytime. These issues all seem seperate.)

16. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    I may have started two threads but they were over a month apart... and I didn't start the main thread and that one is9 5 pages long.

All debating aside the next driver will be better as they've identified at least two more problems and hopefully have fixes.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    This is great news, as I just bought my 670 and i use vsync and always will

18. BamBoozleD

BamBoozleD Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 670 FTW LE Sli
    My card came, replaced 2x570gtx by galaxy, one of which is unstable. So far, a couple of bf3 maps, game plays smoother, even if im loosing fps. No stutter so far, no frame dips, 64 player maps full server played like butter. I will take smoothness vs higher fps anyday.

Whenever needed, a second card will be more than enough for those upcoming games, if so required.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  19. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    yes, I've heard that like 10 times already... :3eyes:

did you try any game already, or are you still gathering opinions on wheter you'll stutter or not

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    dont rain on my parade. besides the video i see of this studdering dont concern much, seeing my 60fps drop for 58 and back 60 is nothing new with vsync i seen this effect for years.

either way i make my own judgement in 2 days when i get the card