I think (maybe) that 11.11b or c are causing bsod's for me

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by bkandor, Dec 5, 2011.

1. bkandor

bkandor Active Member

GPU:
    2@ xfx290 black
    Quick question, is there a simple way to turn the block of registry entries into a .reg file?

2. bkandor

bkandor Active Member

GPU:
    2@ xfx290 black
    Ok, I tried the fix below, enabled hot plug on the ssd, secure erased it, applied the registry fixes as listed, rebooted and enable the intel SRT acceleration in maximized mode. Computer worked for a couple of hours, then it crashed so badly that on rebooting windows asked for a chkdsk which took about an hour basically deleting / recovering lost file fragments etc. After finishing the computer could not reboot so I'm currently re-installing windows. I wish I could figure out how to get this working the way I want! Thanks for the suggestion anyhow - I still appreciate it.

3. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Sounds like your overclock is too high personally, most sandy bridges don't last long at 4.9-5.0ghz even with watercooling, try dialing it back to 4.5ghz at 1.350 volts and see if your problems stop

And those fixes I listed do work when the cause is the SATA chipset, which for all SATA 3G SSD's is the root cause of BSoD's on most systems

Like I said, enabling hot plugging fixes BSoD's due to SSD's 99.9999999% of the time, the registry fixes is what you do if that does not work, or you just want to speed up your SSD transfer speeds (You can get an extra 50-100MBPS with the registry tweaks and well worn SSD's)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2011
  4. bkandor

bkandor Active Member

GPU:
    2@ xfx290 black
    It's possible but there is a lot of evidence to support the stability of this system at this overclock. Here's what I tried afterwards which as 'so far' :) been good, knock on wood.

I installed win7 on a single sata hdd (1.5 tb wd), installed all windows updates first then installed only the most upto date version of SRT driver from intel, and only then enabled the maximized mode cache. I'll see how long this works. If it's stable I would still want to try again on a raid0 array of hdd's like I had before. I could always clone the system to a raid0 array although with a maximized mode cache enable cloning could become tricky.

Thanks again!

5. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Remember the problem with sandy bridges is not voltage or stability under load, its stability when idle

My chip I have right now can do 4.5ghz with 1.250 volts for 12 hours prime95 blend, yet fail after 30-40 minutes idle, its only with 1.350 volts is it stable 24/7

6. Wag

Wag Member

GPU:
    2GB 6950 Tri-Fire
    I'm getting BSODs with this driver too and I don't have any SSDs (well, I have one Momentus).

7. BravoFxTrt

BravoFxTrt Member Guru

GPU:
    2X MSI R9 280X 6GB
    I have a single card and was getting BSOD with all 11,11's. I installed 8.93-111129a, and havnt any BSOD's at all with. Cant say it'll help you but FYI.

8. diogo_cme

diogo_cme Guest

GPU:
    MSI Cyclone 6850 OC
    I'm trying the 8.93-111129a at the moment, the performance is good but I had some crashes on BF3. The game freezes and I have to manually shut it down...

9. BravoFxTrt

BravoFxTrt Member Guru

GPU:
    2X MSI R9 280X 6GB
    Just a shot @ but maybe heat related and or Driver's full clean uninstall/install?

10. BravoFxTrt

BravoFxTrt Member Guru

GPU:
    2X MSI R9 280X 6GB
    Diago, just an observation, Have you considered exploring getting a bigger PSU. I say this because Iv a 550w but it's actually a 500w. I am definitely getting 750w PSU before I upgrade my GPU.

p.s. I dont mean to be personal, just suggestion. :)

11. diogo_cme

diogo_cme Guest

GPU:
    MSI Cyclone 6850 OC
    At least not for me - my temps are in the low 60s on full load and the driver install was clean (driver sweeper).

I'm gonna give this one a shot.

12. BravoFxTrt

BravoFxTrt Member Guru

GPU:
    2X MSI R9 280X 6GB
    I tried those as well but reinstalled 111129a where Im staying until 11.12 WHQL, I suppose.

13. rone

rone Member Guru

You can easily fix that by reducing BCLK from 100Mhz /Auto/ to around 99Mhz. Idle clock will go down to 1450Mhz and idle BSOD will disappear.

14. diogo_cme

diogo_cme Guest

GPU:
    MSI Cyclone 6850 OC
    Hell yeah, I'll get a more-wattage one when I go for crossfire, but for this current rig this PSU is more than enough - plenty of headroom here. It has 44A on the 12V rail, so it packs a lot of power there. People exagerate a lot when it comes to that.

15. cruziopablod

cruziopablod Guest

GPU:
    AMD/HD-5870/1 GB (2 GPUs)
    I have had this problem, with drivers above 11.10

And it creates the minidump file, which I post onto a site online for verification. It will always point to an issue with the video card. I resorted to not using crossfireX, and downgrade to 11.10 drivers to avoid BSOD issues and Battlefield 3 :biggun: