1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think (maybe) that 11.11b or c are causing bsod's for me

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by bkandor, Dec 5, 2011.

1. bkandor

bkandor Active Member

GPU:
    2@ xfx290 black
    Before 11.11b (and now c) my system was 100%, after 11.11b bsod's started to happen randomly. Sometimes it would be iastor.sys or ntfs.sys, sometimes something else.

I tried everything to resolve it but one thing clued me in which is a very strange complete graphic corruption that occurs right before the bsod, where my monitors (3 in eyefinity group) get covered in scrambled multicolored horizontal lines for an instant before the bsod.

I'm going to wait now until I get another one then I'm going to try rolling back to an earlier driver and see if it stops.

2. PR-0927

PR-0927 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+
    I also was getting BSODs with 11.11b in BF3 and I didn't even bother trying 11.11c because it's basically the same driver.

Currently sitting on 11.10 Preview 3. Didn't have any BSODs using it before, or currently.

- PR-0927

3. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    OC in those cards?
    Provide temps please.

iastor.sys and ntfs.sys are hard drive related files.

4. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    NTFS and IASTORE bsods sounds more like a CPU OC issue, not the video cards...

the fact that you are seeing video card corruption, is really just the frame buffer switching to a VESA text mode for the bsod readout..

Try restting your CPU and MEM ocs to stock and see what happens..

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011

5. bkandor

bkandor Active Member

GPU:
    2@ xfx290 black
    I suspected HD as well at first, also wondering about having all 4 mem slots filled. I did reset the clocks first thing, but the BSOD's kept coming. The hard drives have been tested and swapped. Another possibility is the SRT cache drive, so I detached that and am running without the cache drive atm.

1 bsod happened while playing bf3 in eyefinity.
    The rest have happened while clicking controls on web page popups, like 'close window' etc. in Chrome and ie.

Also, with the oc's running this computer was 100% solid for a month of heavy use playing bf3 etc. with not a single crash or blue screen, stable in prime95 etc. Then the bsod's started out of the blue and the only correlation I could think of was the 11.11b/c driver.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  6. xtremegamer

xtremegamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 5750 1GB DDR5
    Hi...

I got one Bsod yesterday when i was transferring data's from my Lap the error was "UNEXPECTED KERNEL MODE TRAP".....never had this before im on 11.11c drivers.....

7. bkandor

bkandor Active Member

GPU:
    2@ xfx290 black
    Well for about a day now I've had no bsod's - the only thing I changed was disconnecting the SSD drive I was using as cache with Intel's SRT. I really hope this wasn't the cause of the bsod's because I would hate to have to give that up. I'll setup the cache again soon and see what happens.

8. lenne

lenne Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 GTX Gainward
    ocz agility / vertex 3 ?

9. bkandor

bkandor Active Member

GPU:
    2@ xfx290 black
    It's a OCZ 60gb vertex3 (sata 3). It gives awesome performance as a cache drive although I have no idea why after a month it would start cause bsod's, although I havn't proven that yet.

10. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    yeah, the vertex have been known to cause BSODs on P67/Z68

what bios version are you using? whats the IRST oprom version?

have you updated the firmware on the ssd?

11. bkandor

bkandor Active Member

GPU:
    2@ xfx290 black
    firmware on the vertex was already the latest version when I bought it. Bios on the board was 902 but recently updated to 1101 although problems persisted. Don't know the IRST oprom version, but the rst driver/software is the latest from the intel site.

12. Valagard

Valagard Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FE
    Its well known with all SSD's you need to enable certain bios options to get it to work properly

One is you have to enable hot plugging in the bios, all SSD's need this done or they blue screen, I got no damn clue why but this resolves 99.99% of BSoD's with SSD's

Another is if you are using intel rapid storage device drivers you need to make these changes to the registry

Make these keys and dwords as needed

THIS IS FOR INTEL CHIPSETS ONLY, NOT AMD

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port0]

"LPM"=dword:00000000
    "LPMDSTATE"=dword:00000000
    "DIPM"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port1]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port2]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port3]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port4]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port5]

Both of these at least for intel boards fixes pretty much 100% of SSD's BSoD problems

P.S. Erase the space in services, I dunno why but Guru3D's forums automatically puts the space in when I list it

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  13. lowdog

lowdog Active Member

GPU:
    2 x 6990 quad cfx
    All 11.11 series drivers cause bsod with STALKER COP Benchmark with my quad cfx 6990's...good one AMD!

14. bkandor

bkandor Active Member

GPU:
    2@ xfx290 black
    Cool, I will try this, where did you find this info?

15. Valagard

Valagard Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FE
    I build PC's for customers, its needed information in the field, SSD's caused nothing but problems for me until I did some research

It crops up in all SSD's, it tends to crop up more in sandforce SSD's though do to how fast and how brutal they bombard the SATA chipset and are very strict, they are still within standards but from what I have been told the SATA controller under high load tends to error out

Two things to fix it is to set the SATA ports to hot swap, which if the drive drops (Which all SSD's eventually do) it will get picked back up in an instant without killing the computer (It doesn't freeze up waiting for a file), another is to stick the SSD on a SATA controller that is wired up to a PCI-E bus, which has plenty of bandwidth to spare, but still not as fast as the actual dedicated SATA chipset controller that comes on motherboards.

It ultimately comes down to the SSD chipset running out of compliance, like the recent Sandforce firmwares still operate at the same speed, the only difference is that instead of being within spec, they operate slightly out of spec to keep synced. Does nothing to performance, its just to keep the chipsets from dropping the SSD's

It ultimately just comes down to SATA chipsets not running as they should, as slower SSD's have no problems at all, all the old intel and sandforce SSD controllers had next to zero issues, its only when both of them went to SATA 3 spec and 6gbps connections and pushing 400-500MBps the snappiness of the drives cause them to get dropped at times.

But the BSoD or computer freezing with a SSD is exactly that, the drive volume vanishing and causing the SATA controller to error the drive out, and if the SATA port isn't in hot swap mode it can't re-pick up the drive once it the SSD tries to resume connection with the SATA controller

People say "Oh intel doesn't have that problem" but that's a lie, I've installed SSD's over 2-3 years from Intel, Corsair, OCZ, Kingston etc etc, its only when the move to Sata 3 happened system integrity started to become a problem.

16. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    11.11a-b caused BSOD on one of my 3 systems Tested which was the 5870 the 5870m and 6970 were unaffected....both unaffected are using Intel Chipsets the affected was a AMD Chipset Mobo 11.11c does not have the symptom

On His Reg fixes remove the space in the word servic es

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  17. bkandor

bkandor Active Member

GPU:
    2@ xfx290 black
    Ok, thanks for the info. Note that to test this vertex3 drive I installed win7 on it seperately as a test and it has been fine for 2 days without a hitch. However, when I retask it to be rst cache drive with my hdd raid0 win7 install I will apply your suggested fixes and see if it cures the bsod in that scenario.

18. MadelineX

MadelineX Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 295x2
    The exact same curroptioin and bsod happen to me as well. Only will trying launch bf3. The game will have display driver failures for the first few attempts to launch a multiplayer game. Eventually, curruption and bsod.

I notice the issue is more prevalent when I installed bf3 on a my 10000 rpm drive instead of the ssd drive in C.

I thought maybe it was MSI afterburner at first. As I know there was an issue with the RTCORE cfg. But that wasn't it.

I'm interested in trying the IRSD registry changes. I'll give it go.

Once again, this is only a multiplayer BF3 issue for me. It comes and goes, but mostly comes....

19. MadelineX

MadelineX Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 295x2
    Since this is a multiplayer only problem for me: Try unticking the hw acceleration of your browser.

That seemed to to the trick for me.

Must be battlelog.

20. lenne

lenne Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 GTX Gainward
    I knew it :D my Agility 3 was causing random bsods aswell until i flashed it with the latest firmware.

the after a month problem was similar to mine, i think the old firmware only startet bluescreens after a certain usage.