I think I've diagnosed a huge Nvidia problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Danny_G13, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    KF2 3090 SG
    Same, I only reboot when I actually need to. Usually go about 10 days before I decide to reboot just to clean and refresh. But I'm lucky if I get to a month before a crash so I rarely leave it that long.

2. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    I am always amazed how some people think that turning electronics on and off every day is better than just leaving them on (intended by the way) and restarting/turning off only when really needed.
    Your Fridge is ON all the time, why not turn it off every day while you sleep, it will "last longer" smh

I fix all my sleep issues by going to device manager and turning off power management (allow this device to turn on/off PC) for keyboard and mice, sound card (yes...) and everything that I don't want to wake up my PC (only power button does that). If I don't do this, Sleep usually fails sooner or later.

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    I switch my PC rigs on/off and I have no crashes like Danny_G13 and I have no fails like gx-x (without tweaks in device manager).
    In my eyes my usage is more correct and problem free.

4. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    So you are not using your PCs the same way we do. It's like saying "I use AMD card, therefore I don't have problem with nVidia which means I use my PC correctly". We might be on different planets as far as this particular problem is concerned...

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    PC's (and HDD's) are made for 24/7 use and spinning.

Fans not so much......

gx-x likes this.
  6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    No.
    You say "I use my rig correctly" and then describe some troubles with that usage.
    And I say "I do not use sleep/hibernation and my rig has no troubles".

7. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    For the record - I did not say "I use my rig correctly", no one did, actually. The closest person to come to that are people that came here to say that they don't use sleep and have no problems with sleep..............

"And I say "I do not use sleep/hibernation and my rig has no troubles"."
    But you don't know that, you don't use sleep. Your PC is Schrödinger's cat in this case.

8. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Failing Psu can give those symptoms.
    Not necessarily detrimental atm for OP as it can still clearly handle heavy load.
    But imo, a high quality Psu will start doing that and handle heavy load fine for years before not being able to run a benchmark.

9. hearnia_2K

hearnia_2K Active Member

GPU:
    PNY RTX 2080 Super
    That's not true for most consumer HDDs. It's expected they will spin down and go into power saving mode regularly, and for significant periods of time. Enterprise disks are expected to be up 24/7 though.

Cave Waverider likes this.
  10. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    That's the wrong approach.

Are the hardware, the driver and the OS supporting sleep? If yes, it has to work if you want it to work, it's as simple as that.

Also, sleep is great for smaller pauses in the system where you don't want it to do anything, but a full restart is a waste of energy. It's great for most uses, to be honest. I have my rig sleeping most of the time and wake it up via a controller button whenever I want to play a game on the PC.

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    I don`t want to use sleep, so there is nothing wrong in my approach.
    When I am home (and not asleep) I use home rig. When I go to bed I switch rig off. When I am not at home my family members turn rig on and login to their accounts.
    Rig is tweaked to idle at low power and to burst to high power when needed.

Keitosha and -Tj- like this.
  12. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    So you are just trolling in this thread. Gotcha.

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  13. schilperoordbas

schilperoordbas Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    If people are on Ryzen and get a black screen or no activity after sleep, disable Hybrid Sleep and then try again. It should fix the resume issue. It's located in the Power Plan advanced settings.

14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Not trolling.
    If wanted to use sleep but had to deal with glitches caused by sleep, I would spend day or two trying to solve glitches, and if failed I would no use sleep at all - what is the point?

I just dispute with you guys telling me "you have to use sleep, it is intended way, etc".

All that sleep business was introduced not so long ago (comparing to PC history). Combination of modern HW, FW and SW is so complex that any badly implemented feature (across HW, FW, SW) can ruin experience.
    All that ACPI stuff is implemented in FW (BIOS), in HW (motherboard) and in SW (OS). BIOS and motherboard completely depend on OEMs, and many of OEMs implement features wrong (or not implement at all).
    I have ASUS motherboard (not cheap one), and for some strange reason its BIOS implements ACPI feature concerning hardware P-states (SpeedShift, Autonomous mode) in the way that forbids me to switch between hardware P-states (controlled by CPU itself) and traditional P-states (controlled by OS) on the fly through corresponding setting in power plan - I can only switch in the BIOS. WTF ASUS did that?
    So all people saying that sleep is a way to do and intended one are ignoring the reality (relying on paper specification).

dr_rus likes this.
  15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no, these idle spin downs on consumer drives are just to shorten the life and get you to buy more.

hybrid sleep is just S3 with a backup S4(disk based suspend), unless the system loses power theres no behavioural difference waking up the system vs S3.

cucaulay malkin likes this.

16. ern88

ern88 Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080
    It really depends on how you use your PC. If you are only on it a few hours a day. Turn it off. If you use it all day and night. Leave it on and reboot every once and a while.

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  17. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    yeah I heard a hdd is more likely to die from constantly waking up than from age when it's working.
    I got myself a surveillance drive cause of that.my former p300 drive was doing that all the time,seahawk doesn't.

18. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    @mbk1969 this is a thread about (partially) sleep issues. Coming in and telling us how well you do without using sleep, is completely pointless.

gx-x and tiliarou like this.
  19. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte Fe 1080TI +WB
    i have a ryzen system 5950x and have no issues with letting my system go to sleep then waking it up, works as expected.....
    i think the guy has psu issue but only under light load conditions where by when the computer goes to sleep it wont wake up as in not going from light to medium load to initialize the system ...

-EDIT: though additionally make sure your on the latest insider windows 10 preview
    as previous versions in the past exhibited this very issue.

Last edited: May 25, 2021
  20. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    powercfg lastwake

Is a useful command.