i think i have another problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by damien666, Sep 4, 2007.

1. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    hi when i go to run the nod32 av check i get this before it scans
    [​IMG]

also i have started getting problems when extracting files from .rar

even if they worked the over day, i have.....

wd 500gb hdd
    xp home 32bit
    no partitions (85gb in use)

fully defraged + cleaned with Diskeeper + System Mechanic Professional 7, and ive just started getting these problems yesterday so can anyone help me please

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  2. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    has someone came across this problem

3. Solinari

Solinari Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr
    MBR is the Master Boot Record, obviously there is something wrong with the MBR and you should see about sorting it.

The first thing i would do is run a full scan with CHKDSK, you can start the scan from the drive Properties but you will probably have to reboot and let it scan before Windows loads. It will probably take a good few minutes, maybe even half an hour.

If that doesn't work, you can rewrite the MBR using the Recovery Console, you can access the recovery console via your Windows install disc. You are using XP, right? I can't recall the exact the command, so you will have to find that out first.

I must point out that i have never encountered this error and this is what i would try if i came across it.

4. Pat the Cat

Pat the Cat Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia 6800 Ultra 425/1120
    Use recovery console to rewrite the mbr.

Use;

FIXMBR (return) and it gets written.

You will have to boot from a Windows XP disk to get there. Then select "fix an existing Windows setup" rather than "install from scratch".

Now, it might be the hard drive is failing, in which case System Recovery just CAN'T do the FixMBR trick. Or it might be the MBR has been overwritten by Malware. If System Recovery can overwrite it fine, then it's probably Malware.

One way to avoid Malware zapping the MBR again - once your MBR is correct, there's often a BIOS setting to "write protecte" the boot record (MBR = Main Boot Record, what used to be called the boot sector on a floppy disk).

So you might be able to stop it happening again. Or it might indeed be caused by a bad hard drive.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007

5. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire+HIS X1950 PRO Crossfire+OC
    I would thing it's a bad hard drive if you're also getting errors opening files. rar files are very sensitive to read errors.

6. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    ok im gona run xp again at the week end and do a total re-master as i use to do one every few month and its about time i did another