I still prefer WoW, Rift and others over GW2.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Ohnooze, Sep 17, 2012.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    problem with GW2 is what do you do when you hit 80? there is nothing to reward you for maxing a character. nothing.

2. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    you roll another char :D

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    i want some end game though. i didn't level for 150 hours just to do it again ;)

4. hotshot100

hotshot100 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 ti
    I am a wow player but for the first time I will not buy the mop extension.

After try all mmo currently available I only play Tera right now I like the combat system I like the fact that you need to invest some time to get the item you want and I like the fact its not easy and all noob just quit before they reach lvl 60.

The only complain I have is the enchanting system because its based on RNG and sometime its frustrating but if you keep trying you get the result you want.

Most of wow player try tera did the first level 1 quest and say : WTF no free epic after my first quest this game is grinding I cant have epic in 5 min.

5. Scerate

Scerate Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    playing booth WoW and GW2 and like them booth, the games have pros and cons, e.g i'm playing more WoW atm cause due to my friends, they only know WoW and only played that and maxed out there char and PvP is pretty nice (somewhat still missing old skool OpenPvP) killing some guys before Orgrimmar and going Battlegrounds with 3-5 friends.

GW2 i love the game cause it has a very refreshing and action oriented playstyle, somewhat between WoW and TERA (TERA for me has the best Combatsystem ever) and the best thing anyways is it's more or less free, i can play when i want without checking subscription status, the PvP is cool too but didn't tryed out everything yet but i met some cool people cause the community seems more mature.

6. Ohnooze

Ohnooze Guest

I think this is part of my problem. I don't want to play just to lvl because to be honest lvling in GW2 is not all that amazing imo. In fact I would go as far as to say I like lvling in WoW better....running from heart to heart repeating reoccurring events is not all that fun imo.

I have never been a huge raider...really only raid once in a blue moon due to real life. But that said I know there is always some content to do in WoW. I know there are raids I can jump into when I get the time even if I don't have a regular raid schedule. With GW2 the answer is "lvl a new toon"? No thank you. It's not so fun that I would want to do that. This is where I think GW2 is going to really struggle. The game might be fun but you have to give people (at least most of them imo) something to strive for. WoW has not held the market hostage for 8 years because they don’t know what they are doing….they know you have to give people a goal.

Maybe GW2 will add some endgame content in time….who know? Still it’s free to play and it’s a good game so I will play it here and there for sure.

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    the end game is pvp. this is a pvp game. I'll still play it, but i prefer pve.

8. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    That is always good that its free to play. I do miss wow tho. I still have my first ever char, warrior around lvl 25..and he is wearing a robe :D coz i was a total noob back then :D I would love to come back but they need to introduce more interesting stuff. I know they can, some quests are epic. But i think Bliz is a bit lazy these days.

Are you getting MoP? you can give a good review if you are hehe. Im giving it a miss at first. Azeroth will be filled with hundreds of pandas soon :D

Yea im with Eclap, im more into PvE.

9. Ohnooze

Ohnooze Guest

Rift?

10. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    WorldvsWorldvsWorld should be considered as part of the EndGame content that you're looking for.

Anyways, GW2 is about exploration and playing with friends or guildmates, heck even people you meet by accident while playing. If you like roaming about doing your own thing, whether solo or in a casual group up then this is the game for you because they don't penalize you for not doing things in a strict order. This game operates on the assumption that you are mature enough of a gamer to decide for yourself what you want to do - and it rewards you for your decision, whatever it may be. Freedom of choice is what makes me love the TES series and Open World games of all kinds, and Guild Wars 2 is excellent in that area.

**to each there own though - if you don't want to have all those options laid in front of you that's ok too and nothing wrong with wanting more "direction" for your gaming. :)

11. Ohnooze

Ohnooze Guest

I do not agree with you here. Now keep in mind that I am not attacking GW2 or saying that it’s not a good game but to me it feel more “on rails” than WoW and by a good bit. IMO GW2 gives more direction to the players.

Example…from what I have seen it’s just go to event to event based off of your lvl. In WoW you’re in a zone based off of lvl but you’re sent to different areas and sometimes different zones. So yeah in GW2 it’s just follow the hearts and when you get close to it you’re automatically doing that quest. It’s up to you if you want to get involved but still.

Also the maps are zoned from what I have seen. This is not a huge open world that they said it would be. It could change as I’m still a pretty low lvl but so far the different zones are separated.

Also the skills are based off of weapon choices….I do not like it at all. 6 skills based off of weapons that cannot be changed from what I played (again it might change but at my lvl that how it is). In WoW I have about 12 different attacks on my Warrior and I can use them as I see fit….that is a lot more freedom than I have seen in GW2. Even though changing weapons around changes skills it’s still limiting your options….feels very restricting imo. Your options are 3 skills with a dagger or 3 skills with a mace or 3 skills with a sword…..and so on. How about I get 12 skills and use them however the heck I want no matter what weapon I’m using….I like that a lot better.

I just do not understand how you can say GW2 is more about giving you options. But like you said to each his own.

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    i wouldn't consider something you can do from lvl2 as endgame tbh.

13. Ohnooze

Ohnooze Guest

Agree and really I'm talking about the PvE side of the game. I know GW2 is big on PvP but it's not just a PvP game. Personally I think they will start adding PvE endgame content...there is $$ to be had.

14. shoja

shoja Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    Everyone knew about no dedicated endgame content for GW2 before it even launched(or had a release date). Should have thought about that back then and not now. In my opinion, their design is smarter than any other MMO out there. In other MMOs once you get to max level, you stop going to the low level zones because you know, you are at max level and those zones are not beneficial to you in anyway, at all. In GW2, that's not the case. Even at max level you can go back to the older zones and still get some sort of benefit out of it. In WoW I get haunted by all the good times I had in the low level zones and wish to get that experience back again, but that's not possible with WoW's current design. WoW's design is always pushing you forward and making the past(zones) useless. I don't like that.

I had some good times with leveling in WoW and I am getting the same feeling from leveling in GW2 so that is a good thing. All this gets even better with the fact that I can go back to those old zones and be useful to other low level players in an equal way. Everyone wins here.

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    actually, they announced today that they'll be adding content for free. nice one.

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    You don't really get anything worthwhile in low level zones though. that's the problem.

17. Ohnooze

Ohnooze Guest

A MMO with no end-game.....and that's ok? I remember TOR getting bashed to no end for not having enough raids / dungeons when it launched. Got bashed for a lot more than that too but still.

Seems to me that PvP is the only thing to keep coming back for. Right now anyway....

18. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    I think the biggest issue I have with some complaining about no end-game content in GW2 is the fact that this game is not designed like other MMO's like WoW, etc. Of course, Anet wants to keep people playing, but they didn't design the game for players to play it non-stop, everyday for eternity. That's not to say that they didn't include content or are not planning on adding more. Also, I feel that some people are so focused on the term "end-game" and expect there to be a specific set of things (because previous games have trained them to expect it) that they are completely missing a lot of what is there.

@Eclap, I normally agree with you on most things but I have to disagree with you about revisiting lower level sounds. There is plenty of reasons to visit (or re-visit) those lower zones. For one, it can still be a challenge at times. You can still receive decent lvl appropriate loot, you can earn more karma, and more than likely you happen upon an event that you've never seen before. In fact, just last night I encountered a new event I had never seen before in Queensdale. And I played there a lot, between all the beta weekends, stress tests and multiple repeats on the live game.

I dunno, I think many people are wanting what the game just doesn't (or never intended) to offer. And that is fine. But one of the best things about GW2 is that there isn't that subscription fee to nag at you and make you feel obligated to play. Play it until you feel you got your fill, take a break and come back when new stuff is added without any pressure.

For me, GW2 took all the things I hated about WoW (and other similar MMO's) and threw them out the window, retained all the things I liked, and added a bunch of other cool things and ideas and wrapped it all up in a beautiful world that makes me want to come be there. It's not the best MMO ever, it's not perfect, but I feel it is easily the best MMO since vanilla WoW. And for me, it's a much more enjoyable game than Rift, SWTOR, WoW, etc.

19. shoja

shoja Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    Dude..... I am just quoting(not word for word but still) what the makers of GW2 said about the game. The whole game is your end-game and if you can't accept that then don't complain about it and move on. Complaining here about it is not going to change the game in anyway so then why complain? Some logic here.

20. Ohnooze

Ohnooze Guest

Slow down man...no reason to get excited. I'm just saying that a new mmo should have more end-game content.

And listen man...this is just conversation. I'm not complaining I'm just passing time talking about GW2 and how I view the game. This is a message board and that's what we do here....we talk about games.

And I have said over and over I think it's a good game so it's not like I'm just here to cry about how GW2 is terrible or something like that.