I never expected this performane on a 8800

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by .Rain, Jun 2, 2007.

1. MacWun77

MacWun77 Banned

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX @ 621/972 Air Cooled
    There will be a reason for it. I am thinking possibly sound card related or maybe something else, You might have to mess around with things until you find the issue. Try disabling hardware mixing etc.

I hadn't tried Far Cry on Vista until a couple of days ago, and I saw OK ish performance, but definately not that bad. #00FPS in quiet areas and lowest was about 80FPS. That was with FSAAx8 and 8XAF (enabled in game) @ 1280x1024

Try running a 3d mark at default settings, that might let you know if it is just Far Cry or something more system-wide

2. MacWun77

MacWun77 Banned

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX @ 621/972 Air Cooled
    Agreed. Same as CnQ turn it off if you are OC'in, also get rid of thermal throttling and spread spectrums (should be disabled) they can all cause performance drops, and sometimes stability issues, though I know less about Conroes/Intel.

3. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    I cant cause stability issues unless (the keyword) your upping the voltage.

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Download 3dmark 06 and run it, lets see what you get.

5. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon VII
    Try 158.45 driver set. Very solid IMO.

6. KENNYB

KENNYB Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTX 648/1900
    Yup, some of us got stuck with lemons. The only proposed cure for my E6600 is to lap the bastard. A friend's E6600 idles 8C lower than mine. Same waterblock, same install method, different temps.

7. (IRE)Wolfman

(IRE)Wolfman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700xt or 6700x
    You need to disable speedstep

by going to the bios

turn of all but virtualization and what ever is before it

also turn off the option CPU Thermal Control and C1E Enhanced Halt State,

make sure the 2nd core is on too

8. rage1189

rage1189 Banned

GPU:
    Evga 8800gtx
    are u sure about that cpuz thing.. casue i have all that speedstep stuff disabled and win xp it reads a constant multi of of 12 x 266 which gives me 3.2 but in vista it drops to 6 but when i launch a game or run a bench it shoots up to 3.2 at 12... i think its a vista thing.. and nothing to do with speedstep and what not

9. OATKK

OATKK Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 460 1 GB
    Try to patched those games for new version first that would help you a lot.

10. (IRE)Wolfman

GPU:
    AMD 5700xt or 6700x

thats speedstep

hpet is another option to disable

intel has a diff bios dont know what your options are

i had one or 2 things left enabled like hpet(i think its called that), CPU Thermal Control and C1E Enhanced Halt State. it caused the multi to drop and the volts.
    going from 3.6 to 2.4 in cpu-z, in vista too

11. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    XFX7600GTXXX Zalman Vf900
    Rain why you running your games @1024x768? What monitor do you have?

12. .Rain

.Rain Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870
    Thanks for all the replies, but I'm still having some issues here.
    First off, speedstep was disabled and now the CPU is almost always at 1600mhz at 1.152v. sometimes it jumps to 2400mhz (so says cpuz) but in ntune the voltage reads 1.175 and the core is at 2400.699mhz.(always ie it never changes) Is this a issue with CPUZ?
    Also I have installed SC double agent, and the fps are not that great. I have a gateway lcd monitor @ 10x7. Did a benchmark in FEAR and got 130 fps, which was allright.

13. Dil-Tech

Dil-Tech Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 4850 1gb
    Am I the only one thinking perhaps his card is running in PCI-E 1x mode instead of 16x?

Seen it happen countless times now.

Update your chipset drivers, see if that fixes the issue.

14. (IRE)Wolfman

GPU:
    AMD 5700xt or 6700x
    No its still enabled

i had that same problem with cpuz

go to you bios, reset it to the saved settings

clear cmos, now just set you cpu timings and ram

dont enable anything else, then see if cpuz is doing the same
    if it isnt then it one of your settings in your bios, enable what yu think you need then one by ne until you find the one that is speedstepin you

to disable speedstep the right way you need to disable speedstep and all other setting, you dont need most of those enaled anyhow

the thing is once you play games speedstep is disabled anyway

15. Ankit kukreti

Ankit kukreti Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 7600 GT
    In 1024 x 768 you can't see the real power of 8800GTX but anyways it could be software problem. Try different drivers and do clean install/uninstall. Win XP is more reliable I think.

16. netnexus

netnexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870x2
    That's not quite how a bottleneck works.

The CPU only bottlenecks the GPU when the game is sufficiently CPU dependant that no matter how much better your GFX card is, there won't be much of a difference in FPS.

A good example of this is 3dMark03 VS 3dMark05. In 03, which is far less CPU bound, score does not increase particularly much when the CPU is overclocked. In contrast, score in 05 increases by a much more significant percentage through CPU OC.

F.E.A.R is not known to be particularly CPU bound, and to my knowlege, GTA:SA isn't either. A C2D at 2.4 (roughly equiv to a Toledo core at around2.8-3.0) is not going to be limiting a G80 in these 2 games to a point where FPS are noticeably low and choppy (sub 30 FPS).

So you can rule out your CPU as the culprit. It is not as if OC'ing the CPU to 3GHZ is suddenly going to multiply your GFX cards' bandwidth ten fold - this is not how it works. It sounds like driver issues but not necessarily GFX drivers.

Also, in 1024x768, you shouldn't be getting a low FPS at all. Trying some comparisons between no AA and 16XAA - if the FPS DROPS, then you've got a problem with your drivers. If the FPS STAYS THE SAME (with 1-2 FPS) then you know it's not the card, but something else, such as the intel chipset driver not being installed (my friend's brother did this once.)

As far as that, though, I don't think I can help you. Vista could also very much be the culprit. Post some 03/05/06 numbers.

17. jcarlin123

jcarlin123 Member Guru

GPU:
    xfx 7900gs 256mb @650/1900
    Perhaps the problem isn't that the fps are too low, but they are in fact too high (as you would expect on .rain's setup at 1024x768). If the fps are in fact too high then you would get visual tearing. This would also explain why some of the newer games (more demanding games) such as stalker appear to run smoother. Perhaps you could try going into nvidia control panel and turn ON Vsync? Or you could run fraps in-game to monitor the fps. I had a similar problem with my old 7800GS+, so give it a try ;)

18. .Rain

.Rain Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870
    I have downloaded FRAPS and GTA San Andreas at max settings runs at around 100fps. In really crowded areas as low as 70. R6Vegas is currently the game with the lowest FPS, almost never hits over 100, only runs at 30-40 fps at max settings. Screen res @ 10x7. Are these normal benchmarks for these games for the 8800gtx?
    I will try some of the steps some of you posted. Thanks

19. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    XFX7600GTXXX Zalman Vf900
    Rain ffs beat your monitor witha huge stick then throw it in the bin, you have a great system and its being sh*t on by that god awful low spec monitor.

Buy at least a 19" widescreen.

20. mk_ln

mk_ln Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX280@700/1400/2600
    uh...getting to 3.6 is not always possible, even then, it may not even be stable. realistically though, 3GHz is no problem.