I need some PSU assistance please.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by wyndrusher, Jul 22, 2015.

1. wyndrusher

wyndrusher Guest

GPU:
    Palit 1070 SuperJetstream
    Hi guys, I'm trying to change my psu as my old one a ocz zt series (ocz-zt750w) has a bearing gone in the fan and it sounds like it's trying to break to pieces.

I bought this one a Zalman zm750-xg to replace it and my pc just won't post. It boots and everything spins, I hear my hard drives spinning up yet nothing appears on my monitor. I can't even get into the bios & after about 10 - 15 seconds it resets & tries again over and over.

I thought I had just got a dud psu so I rma'd it and got a replacement in the post today and same thing happens.
    Power wise the new one is superior in almost every way (bar being semi-modular). I've tried disconnecting everything upto and including all the memory & just no luck. I'm frazzled by this as I've replaced parts for years and never ran into this.

Am I simply missing something stupid? any advice would be appreciated.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Does the system boot with the old PSU installed again?

3. wyndrusher

wyndrusher Guest

GPU:
    Yeah, I put the old one in & straight away it boots.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Sounds like another RMA is needed before the new one fries something

Tell the company it's the second replacement with the same issue, you want either a refund, or for them to be 100% sure you get one from a different batch

Personally, Id go with a different model PSU if two of those Zalmans have the same issue

EDIT - Not sure if possible, but make sure you haven't connected any of the modular cables to the wrong outputs, and you are using the cables that came with that PSU, not your old ones

And if you're careful, you could probably replace that fan in the old PSU

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015

5. wyndrusher

wyndrusher Guest

GPU:
    Yeah I'm going to have too. It's such a weird thing though two of them from two different places both won't work correctly. I wonder if this psu is just too new or runs on a different standard that I haven't figured out. Either way it's beyond annoying.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Nah, won't be that, ATX PSU is ATX PSU - so long as everything is connected correctly, which after two PSUs Id imagine you made sure of that

Only things I can think of is making sure you have all CPU 4/8 PIN leads connected, if your board requires 8 PIN

And 20+4 PIN ATX, but it would be pretty obvious if you had 4 pins not connected on the ATX socket

-
    Your location says you're just up the road from me, Falcon Computers in the town has been good to me, if you are in a hurry for a new PSU

7. wyndrusher

wyndrusher Guest

GPU:
    It does, an 8 pin and a 20+4pin, other than that there's just 2x6 pci-e for my 970, 2 sata cables for my ssd, 2 hard drives & my dvd burner. There's not even a way I could mix up which slot for which cable as the pci-e one is 8 pins on the psu, the other two are both 6 pins.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Try disconnecting everything apart from what is absolutely necessary for it to POST, and you to see it has

Just in case one of the modular cables is faulty

Do not use modular cables from a different PSU though, many are wired differently and will fry hardware if used with the wrong PSU

9. wyndrusher

wyndrusher Guest

GPU:
    I did, took it down to just the cpu & onboard graphics chip, didn't even beep for the memory being missing. I might go look at falcon they've a few in my price range, ty.

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea, definitely sounds like a bad batch of those PSUs have ended up in different stores for you to have two faulty from different places

Falcons is great, after nearly two years, they refunded me full price on a 7870 when one of the fans stopped spinning

11. wyndrusher

wyndrusher Guest

GPU:
    It's worth a shot, I'm miffed about this psu, on paper it should be far better than my old one. Hopefully falcon will have something decent, on their website there's a couple that look promising, I'll have to pop in on saturday. Thanks for the help!

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I know the feeling, looking forward to something new, to find out it's faulty, twice

On the bright side, least your old one didn't pop first, so you still have a working machine

Good luck! :)

13. wyndrusher

wyndrusher Guest

GPU:
    Yeah this is true, hopefully amazon will refund this quickly & I can pop in and get a new one on saturday.

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    My nephew buys from Amazon too, I keep telling him to use a real PC hardware online store instead, a lot of his stuff arrived DOA from Amazon

eBuyer.com and scan.co.uk are my regulars

They do NDD too, if you order before 11pm with ebuyer, you could have a new PSU in the morning, save you the trip to falcons, bigger selection too

And iirc, any orders over £50 are free NDD (with eBuyer)

15. wyndrusher

wyndrusher Guest

GPU:
    The first one was from scan, the second from amazon, I'll have a look at ebuyer though, not used them in over a decade :)

16. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    just received an Ink order from Ebuyer they are very quick and have good prices but I prefer scan.

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    eBuyer are who I go to first, for some reason, no matter what I order, my NDD is always free, I contacted them a while back about something that had gone wrong, and they added a NDD to my account, since then, all NDDs have been free lol