I need help please , any oldtimers here that are good with DOS ? (cnc machine )

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by ZXRaziel, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    just hit CTRL + C

and issue the corrected command. no need to "delete" anything

2. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Just one thing , when I am booting Linux I have chosen the “ compatibility mode “ I hope that’s ok

3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Completely irrelevant :)

4. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    I have done exactly what it says in your guide , after the restart typed the command sudo gunzip ......and the rest then this is what I get -
    gzip: /dosusb.img.gz: No such file or directory
    0+0 records in
    0+0 records out
    0 bytes copied

5. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Another thought , do I need to restart the pc after copying the source files on to the usb ? What would happen if I just copy straight away without restarting ?

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    You could copy straight to new disk, without making the image, if both old and new are connected.

assuming sdc is the old and sdb is the new disk:

# sudo dd if = /dev/sdc of = /dev/sdb conv=sync,noerror bs=64K status=progress

Nothing would happen, you can copy without restarting. Restarting and connecting to same phy connection is more fool-proof and more simpler to figure out the disk name. And that was the point-of-failure already, wasnt it

ZXRaziel likes this.
  7. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    I wish I could , but I have limited options here , only one drive at a time , I just think that the restart wipes out something maybe that’s why it says no such file exists after the restart. I am really sorry , I suck at this .

8. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    It is strange that the files get copied no problem but then I am unable to retrieve them .

9. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    What gets me is that I know the data is on the usb as you can see that there is more data on it than before when it only had the Linux on .

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    It's not strange. It's expected.
    Copying /dev/sdc1 should make the disk un-bootable. And guess what - it did.

dd does NOT copy files. disk does not consist merely of files. dd reads input data stream from input file and sends it to output file. File as in "Everything is a file" Unix rule#1

ZXRaziel and anticupidon like this.

11. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    I only used the sdc today not sdc1 like the other day . The data might be protected somehow as instg8r Said if I understud him correctly .

12. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I take it you didn't get the job done

^^ thats the extent of my psychic abilities [​IMG]
    other than that I cant read your screen. can't guess what commands you issued. or what was the point of failure.

GL

ps
    nothing is protected from dd

13. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    The silver lining is that I have learned a lot , I did exactly what you said but for some reason it didn’t work , I know it’s hard without seeing what’s going on , if you stood next to the comp I am sure we would have figured it out somehow . now I will try gparted , carefully .

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  14. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Interesting...and I am not one bit offended. But your takeaway from all this is that I am wrong [​IMG]

I get that Linux can be overwhelming for any newcomer, but issuing dd is really not quantum chromodynamics. What comes in to input comes out to output.
    For all I know - and this is not a distant proposition - you already have your exact copy, and just dont know how to boot it.

As for gparted... wth
    Keep us posted!

15. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    I am sorry I don’t mean to offend , I was trying to do what you suggested but I must have done something wrong as it simply does not work for me , I copy the data on the usb but that’s where it ends the other half of the job does not work and I honestly have no idea why . Thank you massively for you help you have done more for me than I deserved .

16. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    I have copied the data in other ways , succesfully in few cases but the bastard refuses to boot , set the setting for legacy bios bootable , extended boot partition , bios boot ..... no joy , this is out of my league .

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  17. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Ok I am home now. I am not very good at explaining my self , so once more please accept my apology , I was using my phone In one hand to communicate with you And using the other one to operate the laptop , bad signal , fat fingers noises and pressure to get it sorted . I might came across as rude and ungrateful so I am sorry for that .
    And btw it all worked perfectly fine when I was testing it at home on newer systems, It Just did not work on a very old machine , I hope that makes sense . So yes your advice was good .

18. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    so you actually managed to ninja-edit and post one meaningful command output instead of the usual "im gettin aan error"
    although for some reason still unable to post what commands you actually executed.

as for the error itself: there is nothing subtle, difficult, maybe-the-disk-is-protected or maybe-BIOS-needs-patching in your error

it's the simplest error you can get - it literally means you don't have /dosusb.img.gz file.
    so no, you didn't do what it says in my guide. my bet would be a misspell

ZXRaziel likes this.
  19. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Misspelling is possibility considering the conditions I was working in haha. It’s possible that I have misspelled the commands Could it be that there is some type of setting that needs to be set correctly on these legacy systems ? I am sure that I have created identical image of the source drive but it just refuses to boot . I am certain that I am missing something here .

20. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    At page 6 I'd say hire someone else to fix it for you.

386SX and ZXRaziel like this.