I need help for some server problems. Please help. Its very important for me.

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by ViperCanel, Apr 20, 2009.

1. ViperCanel

ViperCanel New Member

GPU:
    N/A
    Hi. Long time no see guys! I stay in my university's dormitory and my laptop is connected to the internet through its server. While it has an advantage like giving me 10 - 15 mbits\ps connection, it has a bad problem which makes me striving for a slower but free connection. The problem is there are some restrictions; I can't use p2p software(which I don't care), I can't update the time from time servers(which is just funny), I can't connect to some file sharing sites (for example I can connect to rapidshare, but can't connect to megashares), and THE MOST DEVASTATING ULTRA IMPORTANT OF ALL is; I can't connect to game servers, which means I can't play online! You know great strategy games have been released in these moths like Coh -Tales of Valor, Dawn of War II, Empire Total War and Demigod. I want to be able play online again. Please help me. This problem is really annoying and in fact it is like hell for a gamer like me. I think the restriction is about connecting to other servers. I will send an e-mail about this to the administrators but I don't think they will really care, believe me. So please give me a solution to circumvent such a grieving problem. Thanks for reading!

2. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Not much you can do except for actually paying for like a DSL connection that can be hooked up to your phone line or something (you must have your own line and not an extension number).

deltatux

3. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    ask them to add the ip addresses for whichever strategy game(s) you want to play, give them links to the official websites and i dont see why they wouldnt add them to their whitelist( unless some idiots were gaming online while in class and ruined it for everyone lol )

4. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    Gaming is against the terms of use of most on-campus internet connections at universities, it will have been in the contract you signed when you agreed to live there.

Living on campus ftl... living off campus ftw :p

5. ViperCanel

ViperCanel New Member

GPU:
    N/A
    Lol!:eek:c: It is fun to play while the instructor is lecturing!

No, I don't remember seeing something like that on the contract. :3eyes:

Whatever, I will try my best to convince them that gaming doesn't use much bandwidth (even though they should already know that) and I will promise that I won't declare myself a god and rally people to epic battles anymore after playing games like Age of Mythology, Black and White and now Demigod.:eek:ver: Hope that works. Thanks for replying. :)

6. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    sometimes its in the contract of the contract of the contract.

When I lived on campus, the internet connection was provided by the university, whose connection was to JANET, whose terms of use prohibit gaming.

Luckily I could get around it, since they were more worried about the TB of bandwidth being used by the p2p users and didn't notice a few KB/s of gaming, but if the ports are being actively blocked, there's a good chance you won't be able to persuade them to unblock them again.

7. ViperCanel

ViperCanel New Member

GPU:
    N/A
    OK. I will just stick to the singleplayer and wait till the summer holiday then. When it comes, I will buy lots of games to play :). Thanks for helping.