I need a tool to reduce video ram.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by wemavizari, Jun 8, 2019.

1. wemavizari

wemavizari Guest

I want to run 3DMark 2000 on an RTX 2060 (6Gb), on Win 7 64 bit.

It ran ok with a GTX 670 (2Gb), but it refuses to run with the RTX, complaining about not enough memory.

I think that it fails to recognize more than 2Gb of video ram (it says also that it has negative amount of texture memory.

So, I want to try to reduce the memory of the RTX to 2 Gb or less, without editing the BIOS.

There is any overclocking tool that allows to reduce video ram?

2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Nope.

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    2000 would be what Direct X 8 then I think and that would probably mean having to wrap it through dgVoodoo2 into either D3D9 or D3D11 and various compatibility options if there is a problem with <4 GB of VRAM.
    http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2.html

And forum.
    https://www.vogons.org/viewforum.php?f=59&sid=945b29d479b22ba749083c352ef6b079

Can't say at all what that would do to benchmark results though sticking a wrapper to it but that's the only solution I can think of for the software side at least.

EDIT: But is that really the problem, perhaps it's more of a game specific issue and not D3D8 as such though a wrap could still help.

Windows 7 though...Microsoft fixed a problem with above 4 GB of video memory reported but that's one of the Windows 10 builds which I think is a issue that broke between Vista and Windows 7 but I could be wrong though the fix only got merged in with later changes to the ongoing Windows 10 versions and build updates.
    (Pretty sure that applies to D3D9 and earlier.)

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    There are api wrappers that can alter the amount of memory an application perceives is present.

Edit
    Yep, DGvoodoo works, though in my case i need to set the system to Windows 7 compatibility to get past the 64MB error.

3DMark99 and 2001 need a DLLMain patch to work with dgvoodoo, 2000 will work fine.
    3dMark99 requires Win95 compatibility (and limited to 1024x768) or this patch (which requires Application compatibility toolkit or the batch files included)
    while 2001 will need Win 7 compatibility to get past the memory amount error/warning.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Whats the point of running an outdated bench that will only give you a very inaccurate result?

fantaskarsef likes this.
  6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    same reason some of us collect nvidia and amd demo's.

7. wemavizari

wemavizari Guest

It works fantastically. Thanks.

I didn't even knew about his existence. I'm going to replay a lot of old stuff.

Plain gore. And nostalgia. Also revenge.

I ran that benchmark on every GPU I had.

I'm kind of disappointed that the RTX 2060 is 30% slower than the GTX 670 on 3DMark 2K default 1024x768. Although I can rise resolutions, anti-aliasing and a lot of stuff without the RTX ever noticing.

8. Thalyn

Thalyn Guest

There's likely a way to patch it out of the original executable, the same way that you could remove the DirectX version check from 3DMark '99 (it won't run on anything other than 6.1 by default). That was just a case of changing a jump so that it would always proceed whether the conditions were met or not. Unfortunately I have no way to test it as last time I tried 2K it just worked fine on an 8GB card.

PS 3DMark '99, for whatever reason, caps the first two game tests at 60fps, even on a GTX 1080 (no, not V-sync related - same 60fps cap even at 75Hz with no sync). I'm sure I used to be able to get it higher than that on a GeForce DDR.

*ed: Ensure your card is actually spooling up to full speed. Those old tests don't put enough load on them to get them out of idle most times, which will reduce the scores accordingly.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    thats due to fullscreen optimizations.

10. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=33579#p411334

11. wemavizari

wemavizari Guest