I managed to turn a 7800GT into a QuadroFX4500... anyone tried this ?

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by flavia, Feb 14, 2006.

1. flavia

flavia Member

http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?threadID=448697

Has anyone on this forum tried this ? Can this work ?

Reply From: Ignacio126
    Date: Feb/01/06 - 11:46 (GMT)
    Hi!

I managed to turn a 7800GT into a QuadroFX4500, both of wich use the G70 GPU. If you load Rivatuner and use rom straps to program the PCI ID of the card to 09D (which is the QuadroFX4500), check the box to enable Quadro professsional features and then boot, the card will be reinstalled as a Quadro. I ran SolidWorks, which only enables nice autoaliasing and Realview for the quadros, and it ran perfectly. I am not sure if is using hardware accelerated antialiasing of lines, but I am not even sure that Solidworks uses this feature. So that what I know so far, my card is an eVGA 7800GT CO in a Atholon64 3800 X2 processor PC running x64, which by the way is awesome.

I hope this help, has anyone else tried this?

Ignacio

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

In short: he did nothing and only changed PCI DevID. It doesn't unlock pro caps.

3. snowball

snowball Member

Maybe a bit off, bit if I am only interested in using MAXtreme, what do I need? PCI DevID or Pro Caps or both? Hardware line AA etc. does not matter, only the ability to use huge textures and transparency.

4. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    Maxtreme and similar Quadro only drivers/apps will work only on cards with enabled pro caps. It doesn't even look at the PCI DevID of the card, only pro caps matter.

5. snowball

snowball Member

It has a built-in hardware check when you try to install it and at every 3dsmax start, but I don't know what it is checking. Says something like "not supported graphic card found". Do you think it is checking the OGL extensions then?

6. Unwinder

Alec clearly said you that Maxtreme requests and checks pro caps reported by the ForceWare.

7. clokkevi

clokkevi Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 680
    Ah.. thanks for clearing this up! :)
    (Because of some other post I read, I thought it was exactly the opposite..!) :O

Are there any programs that you know which do the opposite?
    They fail to work on a pro-cap-enabled GeForce 6800 PCI-E because it is not a real Quadro
    - the pro-caps won't matter as long as the DeviceID is not a Quadro one..?

8. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I believe that almost all of the programs (i can't know for all of them, there may be exclusions) check for pro caps only because it is easier (it's difficult to maintain an up to date database of all existing Quadro products). For example, you are a NVIDIA tester and you just got a brand new Quadro FX 5000 card - would you wait for updates of Maxtreme / Powerdraft just to test if the card works properly with them? No. You will install new drivers that support the card and test away. :)

9. clokkevi

clokkevi Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 680
    Thanks again!
    That's really cool, there may be (hopefully) no problems at all, then,
    when enabling the "Unlock Professional capabilities"
    on an NV40/NV45-based PCI Express card...! :)

10. rui0317

rui0317 Master Guru

GPU:
    5900XT to QuadroFX3000
    The program doesn’t check any pro caps on hardware. They don’t even care what is the “pro caps”. The [driver + VGA hardware] is like a box, program just put the requirement into this box and then receive the result from it , they don’t care how this box works . In this box , driver make it’s own decision how to drive the hardware (use software acceleration or use hardware acceleration). So , if we can successfully make the nvidia forceware driver treat the card as an “Quadro” , then any program which use this “box” will get Quadro performance from it.

Back to the question from clokkevi :
    Are there any programs that you know which do the opposite?
    They fail to work on a pro-cap-enabled GeForce 6800 PCI-E because it is not a real Quadro - the pro-caps won't matter as long as the DeviceID is not a Quadro one..?

As I said above , the answer is : None . Porgram doesn’t care the pro-cap enable or not , but the driver did .

Then maybe some one will ask another question: I have a pro-cap-enabled Geforce 6800GT PCI-E, but I cant enable the RealVeiw option in SolidWorks , this option should be enabled with Quadro , why?

Let’s see a talk between SolidWorks , forceware driver and Operating system(OS):

SolidWorks: Hey driver , what performance can I get from this hardware ?
    Driver : This is an Quadro , so you will get Quadro performance .
    SolidWorks: OK ,thanks . Hey OS, I have an option(Realview) which only enabled with Quadro, FireGL ect , do you see any Quadro and FireGL ?
    OS: hmm, lets see , that is a Geforce 6800GT PCI-E, it is not an Quadro .
    SolidWorks: Oh.. , thanks ,then I will disable this option .
    Driver : Hey SolidWorks , why don’t you ask me ? What I see is an Quadro , not Geforce , you should enable that option !
    SolidWorks: Hey driver, I am not only work on NVIDIA hardware ! I also work on ATI, 3Dlabs and any others , it’s difficult to maintain an up to data database for all existing professional products. So it is easy for me to ask OS for the name of the hardware. You give me the Quadro performance , that’s ok , just do your work , I do mine , OK??
    Driver: ………

As you can see, SolidWorks can disable an option within it's own body, but it cant choose performance level from hardware, because Driver is lower than applications . So you still have Quadro performance even the "Quadro specific" option has been disabled by Solidworks itself.

PS: This is my own point of view, if anything wrong , please correct me !

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006

11. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well, one thing is sure: engineering samples of Quadros don't even have a Quadro name - they are usually named NVidia NVxyGL, but the pro caps in the register still enable all Quadro only apps and drivers to work fine. I guess Realview is an exeption that proves the rule...? :|

12. rui0317

rui0317 Master Guru

GPU:
    5900XT to QuadroFX3000
    "NVxyGL" is the basic name for all pro-caps nvidia VGA cards I guess.

13. rocken

rocken New Member

GPU:
    6800 GT
    i would like to get more preformance use the fx or quadro dirvers can i do this on my 6800 gt? i have a cad application

any details would be great thanks

sorry i have the 7800 gt not the 6800 gt my mistake

Last edited: Apr 19, 2006
  14. Bluefirexp

Bluefirexp Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Gainward GTX460 GS 2GB

lol. :bolt:

it's not possible to mod any card into Quadro without "SEARCH" here.

15. clokkevi

clokkevi Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 680
    Since your 6800GT is NV40 and you want to use a softquadro mod, try to search for

"nv40 softquadro mod"

16. rocken

rocken New Member

GPU:
    6800 GT
    my mistake guys LOL
    i have 7800 gt and want to make it a quadro
    can this be done with a 7800gt

17. clokkevi

clokkevi Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 680
    No.

GeForce 7x00 cards can not be made to Quadro.
    6800 Ultra / 6800 GT are the last that can.

18. Bluefirexp

Bluefirexp Master Guru

GPU:

well, no one tried with 7600 or even 7900 until now, so we don't know if they are also locked...:rolleyes:

19. Unwinder

Beleive me, they are.

20. Bluefirexp

Bluefirexp Master Guru

GPU:
    Ah, ok, thx for the wake up, when i said "no one" i of course forgot the master! :)

Well, it's really funny to me, how NV is bothering about some few modders like us , hehe
    I don't care anyway, D3D is what i need now :D