I keep getting this error 22

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by DrDigitized2, Dec 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrDigitized2

DrDigitized2 New Member

GPU:
    HD 7950
    Hi. I keep getting this error message every time I turn off my computer and MSI afterburner won't start up on its own anymore. CTaskSchedulerInterface::AddTask failed with error code -22!
    I have tried to read the forum but I can not find the answer.:chainsaw2:

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Do not "optimize" the system by disabling "unnecessary" services. Task scheduler service or one of services it depends of is not running.

3. DrDigitized2

DrDigitized2 New Member

GPU:
    HD 7950
    Thanks Unwinder. I remember doing that so that I could run something but I didn't notice at the time that it was causing this issue.

4. LocutusEstBorg

LocutusEstBorg Member

GPU:
    nVidia
    The problem still occurs. It's because MSI Afterburner recreates it's scheduled task every single time it's closed. This happens when you shut down as well, but since the Task Scheduler service is already stopped by the system, it fails with this error.

After this error occurs, Task Scheduler will not start the next time you boot your computer. I noticed this after installing Afterburner recently.

5. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 960 OC
    I had this error, too.

The nvidia driver was the culprit.
    Maybe you also get the error message "the stub received bad data" on first attempt to start an application?

This started whith nvidia drivers newer than 365.19
    There are some users here on guru3d reporting that.

Go to the nvidia advanced driver search and download the appropriate driver version 365.19. Install the driver only (user defined installation, not express!) right over your actual. After that make a reboot and your problems are gone.

6. LocutusEstBorg

LocutusEstBorg Member

GPU:
    nVidia
    Yes, but even then Afterburner keeps creating the scheduled task every time you quit it. This is what fails during shutdown. If you manually quit Afterburner before shutdown, the error doesn't occur.

7. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 960 OC
    That' right. Imho AB should create/update his startup entry only if something changed.
    It does'nt fail if you use nvidia driver 365.19.
    The error occurs, because newer driver versions stop several services, including the task scheduler service. And when AB tries to set/update it's start entry the system throws that error.
    It's not AB causing this error, but the faulty nvidia driver, which causes several system tasks to stop.

8. LocutusEstBorg

LocutusEstBorg Member

GPU:
    nVidia
    In my case, Task Scheduler fails to start on the next reboot only after Afterburner fails with this error during shutdown. If I close Afterburner manually before shutdown, there is no error and Task Scheduler starts properly on the next reboot. But if I let Windows close Afterburner during shutdown, the error occurs and the Task Scheduler won't start on the next reboot.

What I infer from this is that the Task Scheduler service just happens to stop before Afterburner during shutdown.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  9. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 960 OC
    Which version is your driver?

just as simple: If it is newer than 365.19 and you don't need it i.e. for Mirrors Edge Catalyst, than try that solution. It's not something I came up with, but other users here from guru3d and it works.

Look for other services which are "Autostart" and are not started.
    Like "Designs", if I remember correctly.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  10. LocutusEstBorg

LocutusEstBorg Member

GPU:
    nVidia
    I don't have any service starting failures at all, as long as I quit Afterburner manually before shutdown. I'm using the very latest driver. If I don't quit Afterburner, then the services fail on next boot.

11. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 960 OC
    Well then.
    Afterburner didn't change its behavior, the driver did. Who is it to blame?
    Keep blaming AB anyway :rolleyes:

12. LocutusEstBorg

LocutusEstBorg Member

GPU:
    nVidia
    Regardless, Afterburner is badly programmed for recreating startup entries every single time it's closed.

13. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Closed. I see no problem in politely discussing any user related issues here but I won't allow PEBCAK to transform into "AB is badly programmed".

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.