I just read an article about mutli core gaming, tried, and somewhat disappointed...

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by FULMTL, Jan 13, 2010.

1. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    http://en.inpai.com.cn/doc/enshowcont.asp?id=7427&pageid=6287
    In the tests, it shows having 4 cores compared to 3 does almost nothing! I tested it out myself, and sure enough, there was no peformance decrease from disabling one of my cores...

I have been skeptical ever since I built this rig. Makes me want to return everything lulz, but nah, thats Oks. I think Im just going to get a beefier video card for more FPS.

So, I think for gaming specifically, we really dont need a 4th core? Seems like 3 is good enough.
    That AMD 720BE sure is looking good right about now. I went to go look at it on newegg, and the price went up $55 haha.

I build budget gaming rigs for people all the time ($500 we talking here). I have yet to build someone a quad rig, but now it seems like its not even necessary. Kinda relieved a little that even a cheap Athlon II X3 would be sufficient in a budget build with the video card being the more powerful and expensive component.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  2. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    What we all knew as

Yes some games supports quads

but wont used them fully.

3. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Depends on what game you play sherlock :) Some do take advantage of them but most don't. Give it a couple more years I think and ya it will be in full swing.

4. Titan7170

Titan7170 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290XT 4gb
    And umm.........what about running stuff in the background while gaming?convert movies music there are plenty of tasks you can assign an extra core to do on its own. Some games only use 2 cores. Play L4d 1 or 2, grid,dirt 2 and many other games and they use all 4 cores.......if I shut down 2 cores I get about half the fps.

Also you can set the affinity in the task manager meaning you can assign certain cores certain duties. Basically you can start a game, set 2 cores to run only that game and shut them off for every other process in the task manager then leave the other 2 cores to do everything else.

If you only build budget gaming rigs its because you havent had a client that needs a cpu that does more than just game.

5. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Dragon Age, GTA, Supreme Commander, are a few games that come to mind that enjoy four cores.

6. Snoodles

Snoodles Active Member

GPU:
    Vapor-X HD5770 1GB X-fire
    Don't forget that not too long ago, most games were using only a single core. Many forums were saying that dual cores were worthless for gamers for the same reasons as dual core is more appropriate now than quad.

As was already stated, quad is great for multitasking and video encoding/decoding (milage varies on GPU and software combo) and even a few modern games. Looking to 2010 and 11 you should see more games using these more efficiently. Dragon age can hit up to 85% usage of my 4 cores at some times.

When you think about it, though, how often is our hobby practical? How many games really need 2 hd5970's with a i7 OC'ed to 4.xGhz and 12GB ram?

7. Xenotone

Xenotone Guest

GPU:
    780 Ti SLI H2O 1230mhz
    lol, it's totally necessary! How could anyone put up with a pc that can't run Crysis in mega rez with 60+ fps!?

8. Snoodles

Snoodles Active Member

GPU:
    Vapor-X HD5770 1GB X-fire
    We probably need to start a support group for ourselves.

"Hi! My name is Bob and its been two weeks since I tightened my memory timings."

9. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    I said "some" :flip:

10. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I will +1 this, just brought Dragon Age my self from steam. Excellent game so far, but indeed it does like a quad core. Even with my Core i7 920 at 3.6GHz HT/on it uses 70% of my CPU sometimes. Which is stupidly high as even with GTAIV it only uses around 65% at its peak. Though I believe that Dragon Age is coded much better than GTAIV as it utilises the power more efficiently.

11. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Not surprising, it's been what we've all been saying. Quad cores isn't all too important but it's getting there where developers are starting to really utilize all 4 cores.

deltatux

12. NomadicX

NomadicX Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1660 Ti
    I laughed out loud at this

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah I was about to say the same thing - it's not exactly news....:3eyes:

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Theres still a lot of new games coming out that are NOT multi-core coded or optimized. Problem for developers when considering the added expense in man-hours for doing that (supposedly a long and tedious process) is that THEY KNOW they will not lose sales if the game is not multi-core coded or optimized. So not much incentive for them unless they're technologically altruistic and doing it for the interests of the gaming world as a whole rather than to save money and make a quick buck.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^Good point...

16. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Fact is most game developers buy allready made 3d/2d engines which have the code for x1/2/3/4 cores etc so it's not a problem. Also remember the xbox 360 and ps3 are multicore so this is norm nowdays and will continue to be move valid as time goes on.

17. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I run at least 2x EVE, Call Of Duty IV and some other things in the background. Then other times I run 5x EVE. My CPU often hits 80-100%. Then other times I run Boinc, my CPU doesn't go to waste and I love it.

Quad Cores aren't really necessary now but if you buy a QC and can reach decent speeds with it you're set for a few years, as long as you don't kill it... like I do :bonk:

18. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    Quad core is going through hell, let it keep going.