I just bought a Nikon D40 what can I do now?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by Hiro1000, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Hiro1000

Hiro1000 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Hey,

I recently purchased a Nikon d40, with a huge package of addons etc, and I was wondering what are some other things I can get for the D40?

I also wanted to know how I can create HDR photos, thanks..

Hiro1000

2. Fear_Of_Dreams

Fear_Of_Dreams Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB (capless)
    Im gonna be right behind you soon :)

Mad love for Nikons.

3. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    HDR. well, about those, take 3 consecutive photos. Normal exposure, over exposed by 3 steps and underexposed by 3 steps, for example.
    Then use photoshop. In CS3 there is actually a function to merge them.
    What are the addons you got?

4. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    This is the approach that is generally recommended on multiple tutorials on the subject but i found out yesterday that taking the pictures at the metered EV, then at +1 and -1 caused the images to "burn" in the bright areas into a condition that they became unuseable. I achieved the best results by taking the picures at +-0, -1 and -2 but this naturally depends on the scene you're photographing.

Heres the result i managed to get, it has some flaws in it but it was one of the better ones and quite alright for a first attempt.

[​IMG]

Its an interesting method though and one im definately going to be experimenting more with in the future but one of the downsides is that its still quite new so the tutorials for example vary wildly between great and utter crap and the same can be said about the software too i suppose. If you cant get your hands on Photoshop CS2 or CS3 heres a free program that does something but i havent played around with it that much.

http://qtpfsgui.sourceforge.net/

5. Glidefan

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Yeah, it depends on the image, you might even want to use less than even a whole step.

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Sorry, but when you get the exposure correctly, why would you possibly want to do -1 and -2 exposures? You should aim to get 3 different exposures, one for highlights, one for shadows and one for neutral areas of the photo... Hence correct exposure, under and over exposure is what you should be aiming for. If you're going -1 and -2, that means you're overexposing your photos.

7. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Like eClap said, you're supposed to be capturing your shadows, normal exposure, and your highlights.

You need to take -2, 0 and +2 shots.

If you can even take -1 and +1 and have 5 different shots and combine them together.

Just remember, Photoshops Merge to HDR sucks, really really badly.

Photomatix is the best out there, and be sure you play around with the strength etc.

I personally don't like the overdone cartoon'ish type shots, I think they're a little overdone, I prefer the "Real-world" type photos that just boost the photo a little.

I'm hopefully going to have my Guide out soon explaining Photography in Plain English, just go's through explaining the different parts and pieces of it for beginners. But it's a big thing, so just keep checking back for any kind of sticky.

8. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Hmm there may be a language barrier here or something im not understanding correctly but if i meter the exposure with the camera, we get 0 EV and if i go below that and change it to -1 or -2, that means im using a faster shutter speed or larger aperture value to let less light in to the sensor, thus underexposing the picture making it darker. Whereas if i would go above the metered value to +1 or +2 i would be overexposing wich basically means making the image too bright. Did i get this right ?

Ideally yes and that was the logic i was using as it makes perfect sense, however try telling that to photoshop. Like Finch said...

It would seem that photoshop indeed has its flaws but i havent experimented with other software so i cant tell where it stands in terms of quality, also im new to this and still quite new to photography aswell so it will take a bit of time to hit the sweetspots.

As i said in my previous post, taking the shots at -1, 0 and +1 during that particular time of the day resulted in the images burning in the brightest areas after the merger and i couldnt achieve decent results when adjusting the tonal curves, if the tones were right, the bright areas were burnt and if i eliminated the burning, it meant the image became too dark and the tones werent right. I didnt experiment with larger values such as -2 and +2 as i was merely gathering material to test the process, its largely trial and error at this stage of learning wich makes it so much fun. The next time im out im gonna try and take an even wider range of exposures to see what i can put together from them.

9. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    There's actually a couple of ways to do it in Photoshop, you can try their merge to HDR, which sucks honestly, gives you that effect you had, where things are still too bright and burning.

Or, you can just create layers with an image that is slightly overexposed and underexposed, and just paint in the areas underneath, kinda like dodging and burning to bring back sections you want.

But yea, Photomatix gives you the best results, and has far more options to tweak.

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    What I was trying to say is that if you were getting the exposure right, you wouldn't go - - 0, you'd go - 0 +. Don't always believe camera's meter. It'll be fooled to over or under exposing sometimes. Only because you're EV is at 0 it doesn't mean that the photo is correctly exposed.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008

11. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Oh right, gotcha!

I'll stop derailing the thread now.

To Hiro1000: As you've probably figured out from all of this, HDR is something that can be fun to experiment with and the results will vary but there are no programs that will magically do the work for you by a simple press of a button ( atleast as far as i know ). Grab a tripod and get experimenting, my advice would be to get as much source material to work with as possible even if this means taking 10 or more pictures of the same subject at different exposures.

12. d1fferent

d1fferent Maha Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Take pictures :p

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Yeah, I was gonna say that too, but I think my days of being a prat on these forums should end. But yeah, in general, the only way to learn is to be really into it, internet is your best friend, read up on loads of stuff and mainly go out there and shoot away.

14. d1fferent

d1fferent Maha Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    yh :p

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Oh, now looking back at my previous post it might look like I meant that d1fferent is a prat, sorry, I didn't mean that... Only if I wrote that in the first place, people would tell me off... probably... but meh..

16. Hiro1000

Hiro1000 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    sorry for taking so long, lol seems like a little discussion about HDR and what not, I have a nice tripod and a few opportunities this weekend to try it out, and I will post back with my results. I will try a varying amount of was to work with HDR. I love the quality of the pictures that come from this camera, but I think it can do better. :)

side note, are there any firmware updates/ modified for this camera?

17. Glidefan

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
  18. Hiro1000

Hiro1000 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
  19. martinez28

martinez28 New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 8800GT 512 TF
    merging photos to make it HDR in photoshop (cs3) isn't bad as someone wrote before. Sure, there are many softwares that will automaticaly do HDR with your 3 photos (withe different exposures) or even from one JPGs (fake HDR) ... but if u have strong experience wiht ps cs3 u are able to do same effect or even better - playing with exposures, light and shadows etc. etc. but if u are a begginer user with photoshop best way to make awesome HDRs is to byu automated software, for example: Dynamic Photo HDR (really cheap instead of Photoshop).

I just bought a Nikon D40 what can I do now?

U have to do lot's of photos :) standing, move photos, at night, day ... with different focal lenght, different shutter speeds, different ISO etc. etc.
    Learn how to frame your images in camera just before u will take photo, observe all before taking photos, light, shadows, object etc.

Read more about taking photos and try to use manual sets (u will learn much more and u will be able to do much more) not automated themes ...

Try to get to some photo forums (with posted photos with their exif information), look at exif info (and if its not edited), image effect ... etc. etc. Try to use same.

http://www.betterphoto.com/exploring/tips.asp

http://www.uscoles.com/fstop.htm

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

http://www.geofflawrence.com/photography_tutorials.htm

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008