I have some problem with my new msi gtx 660

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Billerdo, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Billerdo

Billerdo Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 1gb
    Hi, i bought a msi gtx 660 tf III OC, and i have some problem with few games. I played everything very well, with the limitation of my cpu but with very good framerate, but with some games i noticed some driver crash. World of Warcraft for example, crash at desktop with the nvlddmkm recovered and a #132 error "memory can't be read"; had the same nvlddmkm crash with Hard Reset (the game), but with the other games i have no problem. My card it's an oc version so the core it's on 1033mhz default, and it can reach 1137mhz on boost, can be this overclock the reason of this crash? if so, it's possible to disable gpu boost to have a more stable gaming? i tried to look at msi af 3 beta 12 but i have power limit on 100, gpu clock and memory clock set to "+0", so i don't know how to set it. It's possible that the videocard it's broken? Temp are perfect, 32° in idle, 61° in full load. Thanks all

edit: tried the latest whql driver, now i have the latest beta driver on my pc, WINDOWS 7

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  2. CSF90

CSF90 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabye GTX 980Ti OC
    Whack the power limit up to the max in MSI Afterburner - should be somewhere between 117-120%.

Report back then :)

3. Billerdo

Billerdo Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 1gb
    power limit raise the voltage? cause i don't want to do overvolt, my old 6850 is dead after 2 year with no voltage modification, so i decided to avoid any overclock/overvolt. But thanks

4. heymian

heymian Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    Try doing a clean driver install.

5. Billerdo

Billerdo Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 1gb
    made a clean install through ccleaner + driver sweeper in safe mode, nothing changed. I guess it's an overclock problem, my card it's factory overclocked (1033mhz instead of 980), plus have a maximum of 1137mhz boost. There's a way to disable kepler boost?

6. Elite3540

Elite3540 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G OC
  7. Billerdo

Billerdo Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 1gb
    thanks. Do you know if i have to uninstall driver through control panel, then run safe mode and DDU? or i have to use DDU without uninstalling driver the "classic" way?

8. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    You can use DDU without uninstalling driver the "classic" way in safemode.

9. Billerdo

Billerdo Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 1gb
    thanks, great work :)

10. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    two things you can do if after clean install it still not stable .
    You can try 314.22 , that is last driver many have issues with 32x.xx drivers .

The other thing I would try first, is lower the factory OC as a test .so that your base is back to Nvidia stock 980 , which would seem to be around -50 on clock slider .
    If that works fine with latest driver ,then try bumping it back up to were you are stable everywhere .

11. Billerdo

Billerdo Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 1gb
    Nothing, used DDU to do a clean uninstallation, the utility worked flawlessly, then installed the latest WHQL driver, and, Dirt 3 too crash. My guess, as edkiefer say, was that the factory overclock + kepler boost would make some game crash, but it's possible to sell a graphic card with unuseful clock rate? My temptation is to make RMA to amazon, i don't want another broken card, my last ati is dead after 2 years, not in warranty, i had to put it in my basket...

12. Elite3540

Elite3540 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G OC
    I'm sorry for the late response, yes just like Wagnard (the maker of DDU) says.

About that,

I'm sorry to hear that, I hope you'll find a fix.

13. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Aorus-Extreme-1080TI
    Could be a possible fault with the PSU as the card crashes when it enters gpu boost , do u or any of your family/friends have a pc that you could try your card in . PS if you can, send it back , I would do that ,good luck and hope your sort it out soon as these problem can driver you mad . PPS I had this problem a few years ago with a ATI 5850 and in the end it was my PSU .

14. Billerdo

Billerdo Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 1gb
    No, i don't have another good psu :-(
    Strange thing is that i have this problem only with some games like WOW, Dirt 3 or Hard reset. Did a Unigine Valley benchmark, Tomb Raider Bench/gameplay, and other game, nothing happened, so, maybe those games "don't like" overclock/boost, it's possible?

15. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Aorus-Extreme-1080TI
    maybe try a reformat and a fresh install of windows . apart from that have you read any forums for WOW, Dirt 3 or Hard reset to see if anyone else having the same problems , if there aren't any ,well send the card back and get a refund if you can and buy from somewhere else not amazon , I get most of my thing from overclockers -uk they have a very good customer care and RMA service ... good luck .

16. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    try heven test on extreme setting at 1080p , if you can pass a few times with that it probably not OC .

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013