I have had it with ATI

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by mikep, Dec 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikep

mikep Guest

I bought a Sapphire X800XL 256MB and i am so disappointed
    after numerous reinstallations , trying virtually all driver sets
    and not getting more than 20 FPS in flight simulator i have decided to give up.

I want to announce right here and right now that i will NEVER EVER EVER buy an ATI videocard nor other product made by ATI ever again.

Thank you.

P.s love the new forum layout.

2. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    so did you try anything else to troubleshoot the problem other than install different drivers?

such as use drivercleaner first etc etc

3. DeatHRattlE

DeatHRattlE Maha Guru

GPU:
    E-VGA 7800GT CO
    Did you try running over it with a car? Sometimes it helps. Thats what i did with my last ATI

4. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    lol

DeatHRattlE: your avatar rocks! long live Dimebag!

5. Internal

Internal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5770 @ 950/1400
    Hahah, that's funny.

Out of ALL the things it could be he blames the card.

Let me guess, "ATI Drivers suck", that's your story and your sticking to it?

I am not a ATI fanboy, I've own them both, about 3 ati card and about 5 nvidia The 3 things I've come to realize is this:

No one company makes the best card, they always go back and forth
    When people say, "ATI drivers suck" it's like someone saying AMD processors suck. There was a problem at one point in time and for some reason that company will always be labeled as such by the fanboys.

Also, ATI cards generally cost more but IMO the image quality is a bit more in both 2d AND 3d. Nvidia cards are almost blurry compared to the ATI equal card.

As of late, Nvidia doesn't seem to be on board with most people when it comes to case noise(being cheap). They STILL have these little high revving fans that will turn these newer quiet cases that move alot of air into the loud cases of old.

IMO ATI makes a more quality product but in all honesty, nvidia has the better priced cards and for that reason I've owned more of them.

In the end I've always been more impressed with the ATI cards.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2005
  6. raging_dragon

raging_dragon Master Guru

GPU:
    Suck
    if you've had it up to here with the x800xl I can take it off your hands for free....

7. Scarey Lizzard

Scarey Lizzard Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire X800 Pro
    Topics like these always make me laugh. He probably screwed something up during the installation, and he has to put the blame on something else.

8. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    Thanks for sharing bro.

9. MetalFox

MetalFox Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 DCII
    and game is flight sim.. from microsoft ?

go and get 3dmark05 score and let's see if anything is wrong

10. m0bb

m0bb Member Guru

Willing to bet the second he buys a new nvidia card and screws up the installation he'll be posting something like this in the nv forums...

11. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Yea, people like him always try one program and one way to solve it. If that doesn't work then it must be the hardware. Give me a break. Ever wondered why all the people that say that are new to the forums? The title they have says it all. I've used both ATI and nVidia, though I've never used an ATI card on a long term basis, and I can say that while ATI drivers have definitely improved over the years I feel that they are still way too bulky. I don't mean the actual size of the drivers, but the million tabs they put into the display properties. That's just insane. The layout sucks and I've always hated ATI for that. That'll probably never change either.

Anyways, I too have had more nVidia cards because of the price. They have been cheaper and when you are on a budget you always get the cheaper card. I'd post on the IQ but I've never had an ATI card long enough to notice any difference. That in itself should tell you that there aren't any big differences in IQ.

12. Xaser04

Xaser04 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I have owned both Nvidia and ATI and I havn't had a problem with each.

The Official ATI drivers I have had problems with although this may have been down to the CCC rather than the drivers themselves.

I can't believe people who give up on a card / manufacturer just because they have a problem with one game.

FEAR runs like crap on my system yet I don't complain I just find something else to play.

13. mikep

mikep Guest

Ok,
    you dont even know me
    I've been a P.C technician for the last 5 years plus i'm mcse 2003 and cisco ccna and ccnp certified i bet any of those who reposnded to my thread are even certified to install a PSU...
    so please spare me your speculations that i might have SCREWED something up because i didnt.

I've tried 3dmarks and i got a score of 3350 points.

14. Goff

Goff Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 55nm SSC
    That score is wrong, should be closer to 5,000 so its not just the flight sim with problems, Did you do stuff like installing your motherboard drivers?

15. 3dfxvoodoo7maka

3dfxvoodoo7maka Active Member

GPU:
    ATI x800Pro(472/450)
    Maybe you should reinstall your windows, that helps 110% of the time! :)
    ,then repost us the results!

16. m0bb

m0bb Member Guru

Even with all those qualifications, you're not perfect, you're human and humans make mistakes, no matter how many degrees they have hanging on their wall and no matter how smart they think they are.
    coming to a forum and making a post about the fact you're not buying ATI cards anymore isn't going to solve your problem.
    You could however post some more detailed information on your system so the gurus on this forum can help you.

17. Cycloid

Cycloid Master Guru

GPU:
    2x256MB Geforce 7800GTs in SLi
    Although I have never owned an ATI nor do I know how the cards work I would advise:

1. Have you made sure you plugged in all the Power connectors the card requires? Is your Power Supply adequete to the cards needs. I would suggest a 450w Brand name version at least!

2. What motherboard do you have? I have heard that sticking your PCIE card into the "second" slot could also decrease performance a bit.

18. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    To be fair, to me personally it just seemed like a very ott statement to make especially knowing now that you are MSCE certified (same here fyi). The whole "im never gonna buy another ATI card EVER EVER EVER!" tantrum seems a little strong for someone who should have an intricate knowledge of how computers work and how fickle they can be from one piece of hardware to another. Also considering this is the ATI forum, maybe coming in here and spouting off (which is how it seemed) like that probably wasnt going to get a very good response. :)

Anyway, sounds like there is certainly a problem, that 3D Mark score is too low by quite a bit. I would normally run through the usual checklist of chipset drivers, driver cleaner, double check control panel settings etc, but Id rather not have my head bitten off for something you will more then likely have already done. ;)

Good luck getting it sorted man, if all else fails RMA the biotch because it should be performing better then it is.

19. mikep

mikep Guest

First of all , Thank you for respond and your willingness to assist me
    Second , I have reintalled windows XP 5 times and tried all sort of drivers
    my PSU is thermaltak 430w.
    my mobo is gigabyte's k8n

20. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I made that decision too. My first 3D card, ATI RageIIc,
    was pure crap :puke2:. Because ATI cheated me so badly I will never ever buy ATI branded stuff again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.