I have disproved Math! Math is Wrong! (please make sure im right!)

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by solis-365, Feb 9, 2005.

1. kedong

kedong New Member

i just found out about Guru, and i don't care what u say about my math. ~.O

btw if u round .9999999.......... it's 1.

2. SamW

SamW Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTX
    x = 0.9999...
    10x = 9.9999...

i still really dont think that second step can be verified as true.
    if you noticed, if we assume that the ... represents and infinite number of nines, then essentialy in the second step we have created another nine out of nowhere! sure you can say you pulled it out of the set of infinite nines from the ... but does that change the ... portion of the number? is it really the same now?!

3. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    well... infinite + 1 still ecuals infinite, ┬┐doesn't it? Or even infinite multiplied by infinite is still infinite. If you have an infinite number of nines and you ad another nine, there's still infinite number of nines ;)

4. kedong

kedong New Member

and what does that mean...

5. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    I never read all the pages so if this has already been said or done then I am sorry, but why didn't anyone do the proof where 1 = 2?

6. PaladinJ

PaladinJ Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800 GT OC
    Sorry I didn't spend the time to read all 7 pages of entries lol, but you're setup was this:
    Given: X=0.9
    Therefore, 10X=9.9 (slide the decimal over)
    10X-X=9X
    9.9-.9=9
    9/9=1
    x=1

but when you got 9/9=1, x is totally already out of the equation, so you can't solve for x when it isn't in there, so it's just a true statement, like saying 1=1. So then you're proof is therefore true. Just my 2 cents, if i missed something sorry, i just woke up lol.

7. RTSAnime

RTSAnime Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800 GTX 256MB
    .999999 does = 1. There is nothing wrong with that. It is a bug with decimal representation. We talked about this in my Math 521 - Analytical calculus class.
    10x=9.99999
    10x-x=9x=9.99999-.99999=9
    x=9/9
    x=1.
    let x =1.9999
    10x=19.9999
    10x-x=9x=19.99999-1.999999=18
    x=18/9=2.

See it works for any n.99999999.

8. PaladinJ

PaladinJ Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800 GT OC
    well, .99999999 ongoing won't ever reach 1, it's limit towards infinity will continue to get closer and closer to 1, but will never reach it, i think they refer to it as infinititesimally(major spelling error lol) close to 1, but not exactly 1.

9. yojimborobert

yojimborobert Master Guru

GPU:
    7900GT @ stock
    I think somebody did... the problem in that one is taking the square root of both sides is not an equal step...

10. Alexstarfire

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    since when?

11. hartofalyon

hartofalyon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 9800 GT 512mb
    Given: X=0.9
    Therefore, 10X=9.9 (slide the decimal over)
    10X-X=9X
    9.9-.9=9
    9/9=1
    x=1

yeah, i didn't bother to look through all the pages in this thread, but look at the statement 10X-X=9X. you can plug anything into X and the statement would be true. this is the worst logic i have ever seen, getting X=1 from that. geez, no calculus and limits needed here people. it's just flawed reasoning.

12. Alexstarfire

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Yea, because what you do to one side you must do to the other. Pretty much when they went to 10x-x=9x they just stated a fact with no math behind it. If they did that right it would be 10x-x=9.9-x. From there you could get 10x-x=9 but then there is no x in there.

Whoever came up with that proof either missed that, or is just trying to show you that you can random crap and people believe it. btw, I didn't even care about this, I only looked to see if it was the 1=2 thing, but it wasn't.

13. Metalschmitz

Metalschmitz Banned

GPU:
    XFX Geforce 8800 GTS 640MB XXX
    hmmm

I see the difficulty in other things here..

If you take any endless periodic number e.g. 1/3 = 0.33333....
    then try to measure it with water. As you would have to fill in endlessly smaller potions of water. The conclusion would be that this number is unreachable big(or small?) or not measureable.
    If you would take a look over time and you would fill in water in a glass to reach 1/3 liters. and you would fill in smaller and smaller portions of water you would never end because it would go endless to zero, but never to zero.

Maybe this was the problem he wanted to show with this.

But on the other maybe somebody can tell me how I should measure endless periodical numbers.

it would be sth like this.

0.3+0.03+0.003+0.0003+.00003+....
    You would die before ending this...

However this does not disprove math itself I think

14. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    ok, ┬┐don't you think people are repeating themselves a little bit too much?

15. Icebird

Icebird Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I think I have heard everything in here about.. 40 times? So I am glad someone else pointed it out as well. This thing will probably get closed soon as the topic is really really really old and very very very very well discussed.

16. Alexstarfire

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    It's even funnier, because I went back and looked at it. When he plugged in .9999999 for the x's he made a mistake. 9 *.9999999 is not 9 like he said, it is 8.99999999. He pretty much just proved that if you round the number it equals 1.

17. chukb

chukb Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800 Ultra 256 OC agp
    well if you want to get technical.. basically he made a huge mistake..

he points out that

X=0.9

but comes up with a

x = 1

well im sorry but in math big X and little x are two seperate values so you have proven nothing but a big foot in your mouth.. /shrug

18. hemmy

hemmy Master Guru

GPU:
    2x6950 Crossfire
    Three men go to spend the night at a hotel. They pay for a $30 dollar room, each giving $10 for their share. When they go to their room, however, the manager realizes that the room is on sale for $25, and gives $5 to the bagboy to return to the men. The bagboy goes to give back the five dollars, and when he does, the men take it, but give the bagboy $2 as a tip, thereby keeping one dollar each for themselves. However, one of the men is disturbed, remarking, "Hey, we each spent 9 dollars just now, since we got one back, which means $27 total, right? Plus the $2 we gave the bagboy, that's only $29! Where's the extra dollar?"

(i know, it depends how you solve it ):D

19. Alexstarfire

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    There is no extra dollar, it's nothing but a trick. They never spent the $3 so they shouldn't use the original total spent of $30 but should be the $25 for the room and $2 for the bagboy for a total of $27 which is how much they spent.

Too easy.

20. T1tan

T1tan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080
    lol math cannot be wrong, i think we need a russian in here to solve this crap out lol.