I have an harassing problem with my new rig...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Wanny, May 14, 2009.

1. biggerx

biggerx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX
    Well if it's just a fan those are easy enough to replace.

2. SnooSnoo

SnooSnoo Maha Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD510
    I have that, and the most time I hear it is in windows os'es. I hear it in linux only when cpu load exceeds 50%, wierdly enough.

3. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Well after many testing, the squealer is definetely the GPU. I started to play with OC and Fans and the high pitch noise is coming from it.

Made some research on google and yea, GTX 260s can squeal.

I'm not worried, everything runs cool. It's just annoying at times lol. But I kinda isolated it so the sound is not as loud as it is completely open. Note that in isolating I mean more enclosed with enough space.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2009
  4. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Yup, i also though capacitor whine the moment i read the first post.
    Unfortunatley my GTX 280 has capacitor whine... fortunatley its not constant, only happens with 3Dmark or when starting up Crysis and not while actually gaming for me.

5. uglijimus

uglijimus New Member

GPU:
    asus gtx260
    me too

I'm in the same situation as yourself. And I have the same video card. I found out this was the problem after disconnecting power to the individual parts until the sound disappeared. The card is crap, get rid of it. I can totally sympathize with you, the sound is truly insanity envoking. also, don't get the 280 either, I heard it's just as bad. Do a search on the card with high pitched sound and you'll see two others like yourself.

6. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    EDIT: I already answered this thread before ... someone resurrected it?
    <ignore/>

7. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Well I kinda got used to it now. My PC now has tons of fans so I only hear fan noise, which I like overall. I sleep with fans :p

The Card itself is a real performer tho. But yes, it has the capacitor whine.

8. Havokie

Havokie Master Guru

GPU:
    4890 Vapor-X 950/1150
    i always thought that was wierd, loading crysis also makes my cards whine, but not the game itself. um..why??