i have a few questions

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by rabidgoldfish, Dec 12, 2006.

1. rabidgoldfish

rabidgoldfish Member Guru

GPU:
    evga 7800gt
    hello guru's i have a few questions,

1: i have been reading about the new AM3 cpus for AMD, and that the AM2 chips will work in the AM3 socket, but not at the FSB speed of the AM3 chip, will an AM3 chip work in an AM2 socket?

2: i know that the new AM3 motherboards will be using the DDR3 memory, will the DDR2 memory work in the DDR3 DIMM slots. or will it be keyed like the DDR memory cant be used in the DDR2 DIMM's?

3: will the new PCI'E 2.0 but backward complaint with the older PCI'E?

2. rabidgoldfish

GPU:
    evga 7800gt
    ok i have found the answer to the first question, the AM3 will work in an AM2 MB, but not the other way around,

3. Haakon

Haakon Guest

waiiit... whens AM3 come out? FIDDLESTIX! this makes my 939 feel really old

4. rabidgoldfish

GPU:
    evga 7800gt
    from what i was reading i don't think the AM3 will come out until later 2007 early 2008, but i like to plan my upgrade path a little bit, so don't have the same problem now, where the only thing i can use in my pc is my hard drive and case and power supply, and my dvd rewriter, i would rather just buy a part here and there to upgrade, not the whole damn PC.

any way, i was reading more and someone was taking about the AM2+ that would be the bridge for the AM2 to the AM3 cpu's. my brain is starting to hurt.

5. daveid

daveid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600GTS + 7300GT DDR3 / 7600GS
    why stick to amd if you are upgrading your ram to ddr2 and a new mobo, and new cpu, why am2? why not conroe?

6. Xion999

Xion999 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVga GTX 580
    2: Most certainly not.
    3:Yes.

7. rabidgoldfish

GPU:
    evga 7800gt
    i have been looking at the conroe, the c2d are the leader in proformance right now. i hope that the K8L chip are going to rock.

but i was thinking about my upgrade path, if i get a new mb i want to keep it for a little longer than a year or two,with the AM2 chips i can keep my mb and just upgrade my cpu to the AM2+ or the AM3 ( if they dont do the AM2+ bridge between the AM2 and AM3) and maybe a new video card the next year, and the year after that i cant just move my new video card and the cpu over to the AM3 motherboard and get some new ram. this way i am not buying a whole new pc and its a little easer on the pocketbook,

i have realy picked out any thing to get yet, i have to wait until my taxreturn,

8. rabidgoldfish

GPU:
    evga 7800gt
    this is kind of odd but i dont remember posting any of these questions.

9. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    way to raise the dead man.

deltatux

10. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    Lol - Rabies truly does affect the memory, eh?? ;)

So, you ready for that AM3 upgrade yet? AMD may not hold a performance crown as of yet, but you obviously can't argue the price point!

Also, before checking out, gotta say, good to see you again, rabid...been a long time since you were around...

Psychlone